Your shopping cart is empty.

Koi ponds, real estate, and health benefits

Reed Landscape Irrigation, LLC
December 17, 2013
last modified: December 17, 2013
This is our latest koi pond creation. Included is an article that highlights a few pros of koi ponds.

Koi fish pond owners report that having a personal pond to enjoy at their leisure allows them to relax and reduce the amount of stress that the average always-on-the-go lifestyle that most of us lead can cause. De-stressing near the water's edge is also a time for getting in-touch with one's inner- spiritual self as well. Many of these Koi fish pond owners share that they feel "rejuvenated" after spending quiet time near their pond. They report a sense of "centeredness" and feel they are more capable of handling the stresses of everyday life head-on.

Some doctors have begun to voice their opinions about the benefits of having a personal Koi fish pond. They have gained these opinions by witnessing improvements in such medical conditions as high blood pressure, anxiety disorders, and some heart conditions in patients known to have their own personal pond. Stress can exasperate these conditions and doctors are always looking for ways they can recommend to their patients for reducing the amount of stress in their lives for better health. Doctors have even found that many stroke and heart attack sufferers recover sooner when they have an area they can access frequently for relaxation, such as with a Koi pond.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/449349
Comments (7)
  • okdokegal
    Koi are great, the issues are that they get BIG and they put quite a bioload on your filter; and. They need a fairly deep spot in their pond plus a place to escape to to get away from predators. Herons like to land and walk up to the pond to fish, raccoons can empty your pond and leave you every fish in it lined up with a bite out of each (and also dig up all your waterlilies and chew on them) and things like that. You have to balance between perfectly gin clear water and the murky stuff koi like.... The depth of a koi pond means you may be subject to swimming pool rules; if you're renting you may not be allowed to have one.

If you get addicted to pondkeeping you will find your pond is never big enough, you always have to work on the filter, and it is a fall winterization and a spring setting back up and don't forget that week or so of mountain dew bottle green as everything wakes up and your water turns to soup. That said... koi are intelligent, can be trained to come to a feeding spot when called, can even learn their names and some will literally eat out of your hand. Well cared for they can outlive their keepers easily. They can get diseases and I have met koi-only veternarians... and koi can be worth thousands of dollars (I had a champion B grade gold metallic with black flecks, she jumped out when she was about a foot long and I didn't find her until too late...).

My favorite was a 16x20' formal pond that was flat bottomed, 'underwear deep' and had raised from bottom but submerged shelves to hold pots of waterlilies, and the koi lurked in between; under a hoop house with room on three sides to get around it. This greatly extended the bloom season of the lilies and kept the pond from icing during the winter, keeping 5a with altitude snows out of it. November and six inches of snow on ground, go in the hoop and there was 40 odd water lily blooms open, in the still air the fragrance was incredible. Sit on the edge and squish cooked and cooled peas out of their shells to the koi-they thought it was candy, and it was so worth the work to keep them...
    Reed Landscape Irrigation, LLC thanked okdokegal
  • Darzy
    okedokeygal...funny stuff. A koi pond is beautiful but is work. We only have a small comet gold fish pond and we have named it "The Blue Heron Sushi Lounge". Raccoon and the Herons raided it twice. Once a critter got into even when we had it covered with lattice and we even fashioned a "hiding place" for the fish. True, beautiful and relaxing but still work to upkeep and when we vacation we need someone to come over to feed our fish. Even the little comet fish will eat our of our fingers! Too cute.
    Reed Landscape Irrigation, LLC thanked Darzy
  • PRO
    @okedokeygal...sorry to hear about your champion B koi :(
  • PRO
    "The Blue Heron Sushi Lounge"
  • chookchook2
    We recycled a small bath found at the roadside, we put ceramic tall square pots on sides in for hiding and shade, mesh over the top. filter, when cleaned out gunk was great fertiliser for that garden bed, water snails did a great job too. Frogs moved in. Would recommend to anyone with kids, not toddlers tho. Gave it to a lady when moved interstate.
    Reed Landscape Irrigation, LLC thanked chookchook2
  • okdokegal
    thankyou, RLI, but it happens in koikeeping. Still, there are times that the ponds are worth every cent, then there are times when I'm in muck up to there and it's sleeting down my neck and I wonder why.... overall, a pond and watergardening is so worth it.

If you have raccoons, sometimes the best you can do is bribe them if you can't trap them; where we used to live in foothills (front range) some members of our pond club would buy dogfood and put it out for the rascals to keep them out of the pond. It cost them 25# of Gravytrain a week to keep their pond. Our other problem there was herons were protected and there was a preserve not far away; so we considered that all of us were just contributing to the preserve (feeding the herons) and only a dog that slept outside and would truly go barreling after a heron was the only solution we had. We had a keeshond that was good at treeing raccoons about 2 hours before sunrise; and the fall we moved they were so bad we had to take turns rising at 3:30 and going outside to sit and guard the pond until about sunrise, even with the dog they were brazen enough to come visit and some of the old coons just didn't dog-scare.

Oh, and we called lotus 'hail magnets'. Get them to fully leafed and ready to bloom, BAM. Some of the club members had 2 person carry-and-set plywood shelters to run out and set over their lotus at a moment's notice. Then the other hail magnet was having a 'pond tour'. The classic was the International Water Lily Society had their conference at Denver; and Friday night everyone arrived and they had a little welcome social that Friday about dark. Saturday and Sunday everything was planned outside... and not long after the social ended; they got hailed so bad; this was the one that closed Elitch Gardens for the first time ever (in over a century). There wasn't even nubs left. A weekend later we visited and there were still people in the ponds with hipwaders and dip nets cleaning up.

A properly done water feature can really add to one's yard and enjoyment of the outdoors but one does have to counter it with this is not maintenance free. However I can say that usually you will use less water per square foot of pond surface than you will in keeping the same amount of Kentucky bluegrass alive (mandated by covenant in too many places).
    Reed Landscape Irrigation, LLC thanked okdokegal
  • sades86
    We have a pond in our newly-purchased house that I am not sure what to do with. We will be having our first child in the spring and I am concerned about safety. Fencing it in is not an option. I've been looking for wire mesh pond covers that won't allow a toddler to fall into it, but no luck so far. Any suggestions for a good place to buy one? The pond is about 12 feet long and 5 feet wide at the widest point.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)