Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorika

Need decorating ideas to match sofa

dorika
10 years ago
Looking for decorating ideas for a sofa I purchased about a month ago ie. wall color, accent chair, window treatments, colors for decor. I am considering purchasing the accent chair that comes with it. I currently have a black club chair as an accent chair but I want something lighter to offset the black furniture I have.

Comments (42)

• pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Has the sofa arrived? It would help to see it with color photos in your actual space.
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I have the sofa, at the moment I have wall panelling beige/cream color. But intend on having drywall installed over it, so the room will look different from what it looks like now. But I will try to upload a photo later
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Found a couple pics...
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    How about something in a bright red, orange, pink or berry color? Maybe a bright piece of art, photo or the like.

I like the chair with the writing of sorts on it--I can't read it, but it looks cool.
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Before you choose colors, I feel you need to decide how you want the room to feel. It appears your taste runs modern to transitional (heavier on the modern). The sofa seems to relay the desire for comfort and relaxing but with you considering the other chair, I'm getting a desire for a little bit of a quirky vibe as well. The only color I see in the room other than the black, grey and white right now is the burgundy/maroon? in your drapes. So the question becomes, what is your intent for the room? Relaxed, spa environment or lively, high energy? Once you decide that, then you can begin the search for colors and styles to achieve that goal.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Depends on the style or atmosphere you want to create.
    White and some bold color such as purple. Warmer tones with some steel and lots of wood. Stone accents. Fresh with blue and other greys.. So many options.

PS: you could use a bigger rug, maybe pick a natural color like seagrass?
    House Mosi · More Info

living room · More Info

Hudson/Panos House · More Info

REGENCY MANOR MODEL · More Info

Seni Mont Kiara · More Info

Bestumveien · More Info
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rngp - thank you for your comment, the drapes are actually purple ( much prettier in person). I do consider my taste to be contemporary/transitional I like the idea of a purple berry color for accents. My sons won't let me do pink :) the style I'm trying to achieve is more contemporary chic but still cozy.. I want to incorporate more creams and silver with a pop of color.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    If you keep this rug you need to add more black around the room. Since the drapes are a few inches too short, you could find someone at a sewing store to outline them with a black border.

Sofa's front legs need to sit on the carpet, so bring sofa forward or add a slim sofa table (and lamp) behind the sofa. Add a pillow or two to the sofa with some black in it. And of course, a coffee table.

But might be best to get a lighter rug! Black is sort of harsh here. If so, change color of curtain border!

Might start by shopping for a large art piece for behind the sofa. Something that has the colors you love in it. And doesn't have to be expensive. You can go to Aaron Brothers during a sale and purchase a large blank canvas and attach wall paper, material, wrapping paper to it.
    Light & Bright Ranch - Redone · More Info
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I like this rug!
    Soho Loft · More Info
  • n247080
    10 years ago
    The wall color and drapes seem wrong to me. I would go with lighter color walls, either white or a soft gray. I would use the drapes for a splash of drama... perhaps a geometric patter in black and white or a strong accent color that is brighter, like orange, red, royal blue or yellow. The rug seems a bit small, but could probably work if you bring it up closer to the sofa so that it touches the sofa either at the angle it is or turning it so the short edge cozies up tot he sofa.

AMAZING sofa, btw.....excellent choice.
    dorika thanked n247080
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    This room's color palette might work for you: dusty purple, gray, cream with a splash of orange.
    Townhouse · More Info
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There's no paint color on the walls, it's wall panelling so I can't change the color of the walls until I install drywall. In the meantime however I would like some ideas for an accent wall color for the wall behind the sofa. I like purples, turquiose, teal...feminine bold colors. I wouldn't like orange for this particular room.
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would a cowhide rug work in this space?
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    My philosophy is if you love it, it will work but you have to truly love it. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the hide rugs and given your desire to go modern/transitional with the colors you mentioned, I would recommend you find a piece of art, a rug, a pillow or something that pulls all those colors together and use it as a jumping off point. Since Pantone's 2014 color of the year is Radiant Orchid, you should be able to find quite a number of choices in the colors you have in mind. The orchid is quite a bit brighter than what I think you're looking for but there will be multiple shades and tints that will give you a wide variety from which to choose.

I pulled these prints as an idea from AllPosters.com. I just purchased a large print for my guest bedroom from them and was quite pleased with the results.
    dorika thanked syncope
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Does this rug work? It is smaller then the black one but I'm fine with the size, I prefer the rug in front of the sofa.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I like the design of this rug. What are the colors?
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mixed black, dark grey, light grey and white
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    how about these colors?

[houzz=
    "Infused" Original Painting by Dan Nash Gottfried · More Info
    ]

One thing that would really change the look is if you got some other throw pillow covers for the ones that came with the couch...some with not as much of the white or off-white in them. Just color! Do them in your purples and teals, they would look great against the couch!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I think those colors really brighten up the room. How about finding art with the purple from the drapes and maybe some turquoise mixed in to really punch up the color!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Oh, I like mpoulsom's idea! Modern and colorful.
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the colors in the painting. I'm going out now to have a look at some colored throw pillows :)
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Bring back a bunch! You can always return them!

PS: Like the rug! Maybe some cubist sort of art to go with that.
    Chelsea Apartment · More Info
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I like this gal, a feminine touch, only no orange for you!
    Brookfield Contemporary · More Info
    dorika thanked pcmom1
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Ok.love the sofa. Keep black chair but move in closer to sofa. Remove window covers. Get a dark gray on ends only a light wt woven fabric. Do not buy matching chair. I stead get a fabric in a bold color. Red, mustard, teal, pick a color. place across from black chair. A big square glass or dark gray metal 36" or go round but big. A bigger area rug 8x11 in a black and white chevon print. Place 7-8" in front of sofa not under it. Remove bookcase in corner get a low end table round add a tall stainless base with a big white drum style shad. Paint walls a dove gray. With white trim. Ck Benjamin Moors colors. Get sample put on your wall, to see in your light. Not too dark. Pictures on wall too high and two small. Go a big 45" sunburst mirror, TJMax sells. Hang 7" from top of sofa centered over sofa. Add big palm in a nice black ceramic pot on other side of sofa. Add the print pillow on sofa to black chair add what ever color you get in 2nd chair add that color pillow to sofa. It will Come together very nice. You have a modern look going. Keep other furn and art. in that look. Low sleek, clean lines.
    dorika thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Go bigger and color or a modern print in rug. Rugs add interest to room. It's like art for the floor.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    In my post above I meant go 36" coffee table either round or square. West elm, Z Galleries are great places. Shop around till you find right thing. Even store where you got sofa will have ideas.
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    $120 pillow...
  • User
    10 years ago
    Aaaarrrggg! $120.00!! Does it come with a 14kt gold tag?!
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    that's crazy!
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can't even chop it! Just saying...
  • des1gnchick
    10 years ago
    Love the sofa & travisinteriors ideas! Think a larger rug will tie space together better - perhaps go with something that has subtle pattern with silvers/ greys that won't go out of style? pillows are easier and less expensive to change if u want a different look - think the $120 are expensive & u might b able to get something on sale this time of year :) also, a nice roman shade In a silver fabric or color that matches pillows u decide on would b more modern - how wide is window & what is view like? Do u keep curtains closed most of time or do u get good light?
    Any chance u could post photo of wall facing sofa? Will provide a better idea of whole space...
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    There are some really cool pillows on Topanien.........get a couple of interesting ones, then do some solids! The first pillow shown is by Liora Manne, have no idea the price though. You can just find some fun fabric as well and get somebody who has a sewing machine to sew one up and then buy the rest. They are easy to make, even for someone who is not great on the sewing machine!
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    teal velvet pillow...oops forgot that one. :)
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    be free pillow! :) has your black in it. You can also do a throw in one of your fun colors to add a splash!
    And don't rule out a black pillow either...would tie your other stuff in.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Are you still thinking about getting the chair? I like it. It would bring in another light aspect :)
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the last 3 teal pillows!! I would only switch out the 2 striped pillows because I love the ones with writing. I think I'm going to get the matching chair, I like the signature look it has. The legs remind me a bit of patio furniture which bothers me a bit but I like the low armless look about it :)
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I would not repeat the accent chair with writing on it. Instead get a pair of comfy armchairs. Go big with art and big with color and big with a rug!
  • dorika
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Which coffee table??
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    They're both pretty cold looking. Do you have kids? if so, def a no to the rectangular one. I think you should try warming the space.
  • amanda1106
    8 years ago
    I need help deciding on what colour curtains to buy for my living room.. I've just bought a grey sofa... I've been and bought some grey curtains but they look awful up so I'm taking them back.... I need help
  • weathy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Love the sofa, Dorika, and its throw pillows and the accent chair. I also like the one poster who suggested a pair of comfy club chairs instead of the accent chair photo you provided. Depending on the available space, you could include all three (removing the black chair you mentioned.) Teal, plum, cranberry, chartreuse (!) look great with grays, even more so with a more saturated gray like your sofa photo. I like a window panel/drape that's a lighter color than the sofa color (think transitionally lighter as if both colors were on the same paint "chip" sample strip, but you may like something contrasty. I agree about painting. Do it last, once all the other pieces are in place, since paint is the cheapest, easiest thing to change in a room. As to furniture placement, consider pulling the furniture off the walls and arrange sofa and chairs close enough for conversation to create an intimate space, vs, a, "Hey, way over there, how are you?". Put the coffee table close enough to the sofa so that when you and are sitting you can easily reach the table to put your drink down, take an appetizer from a plate, etc.: 12" clearance is all you need. As to rug size, the one in the photo looks large enough, but pull the furniture onto the rug (just the front feet is fine, or further on the rug, maybe at the sofa's halfway mark, whatever looks right to your eye). It looks like your art over the sofa needs to be hung lower. If you have additional, multiple smaller framed pieces, hang them in a grouping together to affect one larger piece, or hang a large piece over the sofa instead, if you have one you like. Things often look nice in groups of odd numbers, like three, five or seven, unless you are creating a grid, than even or odd doesn't matter. Usually art is hung at eye level when you are standing up, where your eye hits the center - top to bottom - of the piece, as long as you don't look up at the art/photo.