Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marta_scorziello

what colour to paint my hallway? Sage green?

Marta Scorziello
10 years ago
Hi, this is my hall and staircase, its currently white and i want to paint it all, i have been looking at sage green colours, but i'm not sure whether it will look good? Dont want boring ivory or magnolia and i'm hoping the sage green a'la french gray would bring some sophistication or a bit of style to my hall. Please let me know if you think its a good colour to go ahead with?

Comments (29)

• Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    as you can see i already have some green samples i have been trying on my walls.I feel like the green looks nice against the door but im so hopeless at interior decorating and too scared to go with mu gut instinct so please help!!!
  • Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    some samples are visible on pic 3
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    You could keep the walls white and funk it up by changing the color of the carpet on the staircase. There is a picture on houzz of a staircase with bright orange carpet and it looks fantastic
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    Hermes Orange Staircase (via Colour Me Happy) · More Info
    . I love this look, would you consider it?
  • Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    wow, i do love this look, but i dont think i can afford a new carpet right now:(
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    Does it have any relationship with other colors used in your home?
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Traditional Staircase by Southport Architects & Designers Austin Patterson Disston Architects

Take a look at the moulding on this stairway. If you wanted to jazz it up a bit you could use either white walls and a bright color moulding or the more traditional white moulding and paint inside the moulding. You could do multiple colors inside or just let you imagination run away with you. Start with a darker color at the bottom and gradually lighten as you go up the stairs. Many ways to spark it up without going over the top financially.
    [houzz=
    Austin Patterson Disston Architects · More Info
    ]
    Marta Scorziello thanked syncope
  • Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    sbrustein- not really, my house is currently all white as thats how we bought it. My hall goes to living room which will be painted in a very light blueish grey(very light and neutral though) so no, not any rela
    tions really....;/
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I like Austin's black banister and trim suggestion...keep canvas blank to layer color with art on walls...will be so much more interesting. If set on sage, recommend going lighter...you have a lot of wall in a small space and dark may feel claustrophobic.
  • Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    2dogssashatess i dont know why i want to paint it really:) My whole house is white just now and i wanted to add a bit of style.warmth, extra touch and personality to my hall- also i really like those wooden doors i have and i though the color on the wall could help them to stand out more, so i guess thats why:):):)
  • Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    dclostboy a lot of wall in a small space-thats exactly my problem:)
  • Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for all the suggestions so far, i guess i may be better just leaving it white and maybe change the rug in the future..i suppose- if it aint broke dont fix it?:) Thats what we say in Scotland:)
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    Marta you could put up some nice family photos along the hallway/staircase area or buy some lovely artwork. if you existing painted walls look fresh I think I would opt for art?photos rather than spending money on painting the walls
    Marta Scorziello thanked 2dogssashatess
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    ps we painted our hallways cos it hadn't been painted in over 20 years and was dirty, the paint was chipped on the doors and skirting. However, your paint job looks fresh:)
    Marta Scorziello thanked 2dogssashatess
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Marta, if you aren't happy with it, it's broke..ain't it? Try putting some artwork on the downstairs wall and see how you like that for a while. Or you could take a cue from the Hermes staircase and run a fun color up the stairs and around for that punch you seem to be looking. Don't get discouraged. Everyone needs a little pick-me-up after the holidays so go for it!
    Marta Scorziello thanked syncope
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    I definitely think it would make the stair and foyer look much richer if you painted the walls. I like the green next to the first floor door. The green will make the white balusters stand out and will make wood finish stand out more, too.
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    I like your idea of a sage green which will make the wood stand out much more. Framed and matted black and white photos on the will will add interest. See:
    a house in a garden · More Info
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    suggestions for simple pic placement should you consider decorating the wall in lieu of painting
    Aviemore · More Info

carpet removed and painted stairs
    My Houzz: Updated Federal Style in Massachusetts · More Info

neutral paint colour w/o decoration
    Seattle Custom Home, By Fine Construction · More Info
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    I still think orange carpet would look great:)
  • Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    2dogssashatess- i showed the pic of orange staircase to my husband and guess what- tomorrow we are going carpet shopping to see if we can get that colour as we are both hooked now! I PROMISE to put a pic here if we do get it:):):) Thanks again:)
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Congrats...looking forward to pics
  • Cathy Anderson
    10 years ago
    May I suggest losing the carpet altogether and paint the stairs Orange and white use a faux finish (to look like carpet) w/ orange paint and cover with polyurethane to make it durable very cost effective :)
  • Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cathy I like rhis idea too!!! But can you explain ehat do you mean by using a faux finish to look like a carpet? is there a paint that gives you that finish? and by polyurethane to use- woukd that be the same material that is usually under the carpet? Look forward to hear back from you;)
  • Cathy Anderson
    10 years ago
    Tape off the stairs that you want orange then paint with a sea sponge Looks textured based on lighting Polyurethane is like varnish you paint over the paint it's clear coat ... see link (looks good for stairs too) http://www.bhg.com/decorating/paint/decorative-painting/sponge-painting/
    Marta Scorziello thanked Cathy Anderson
  • PRO
    Linda Principe Interiors LLC
    10 years ago
    I would suggest that you get some paint sample swatches for your wall, and take home some carpet samples to live with before you make any expensive decisions that you might regret. Try to figure out what colors you love and what you have loved living with in the past. What colors do you wear? Try to come up with a palette and then it will be easier to decide what you are most comfortable with.
    Marta Scorziello thanked Linda Principe Interiors LLC
  • Marta Scorziello
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Linda, thanks for your advice, you are so right;) I do love the orange though, in my living room i have some orange accessories already and i am surprised i didn't think of it myself:)
  • debiemahoney
    10 years ago
    The orange is fab; go for it and please post a photo. Tx
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    Dying to see the orange carpet, only wish I had a staircase in my house so I could do it.