Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffanytward

Need lots of help with curb appeal

Tiffany
10 years ago
This is a lakehouse which is built entirely as a steel construction. We would like to improve the curb appeal. I can paint the blue roofing, but not the white panels. I am thinking of repainting the roof, adding stone accents around the front door area, adding shutters, new door, landscaping, etc. Any ideas here would be more than welcome!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Ron Ames Photography
    10 years ago
    If you are going to stick with grass, I suggest this link:

http://www.amicusgreen.com/browse.cfm/eco-lawn-grass-seed-5-lb/4,2416.html

They are actually on Houzz. This grass seed is great!

If you are not planning to stay with grass, how about xeriscaping?
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    What if you paint the whole "roof" that is the front of the house white to make it look like a wall instead of a roof? Then, choose a new color to paint the actual roof parts over the frond door, the upper windows and the garage.
  • PRO
    Dig Your Garden Landscape Design
    10 years ago
    Regarding the landscaping, for starters I would recommend adding vertical/tall shrubs on either side of the windows close to the house, or perhaps small evergreen trees on either side, planted a few to several feet out and beyond the pathway. Trees or tall shrubs would help camouflage the overpowering roof/siding and provide a much needed other "texture", while adding curb appeal. One tree I'd recommend is a Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem'. It is a compact Magnolia that grows in an upright form to about 15-20' tall and 8-10' wide. Beautiful fragrant white flowers as well. I hope this helps. Good luck with your project! Eileen
  • Tiffany
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These are great ideas so far. Can anyone recommend a website that will let me work with this photo and change colors/add landscape?
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Omg. I just spent about 20 minutes doing a pic for you using free draw app and somehow, deleted it :( will try again tomorrow.
  • Claudianne Young
    10 years ago
    Why is there a roof on the front of the house? I would take it off. It looks mildewed. I don't see how you can paint it. The lower and upper windows look like different styles. Does this side face the water? I think you need some expert advice. Some trees might be nice.
  • PRO
    HomeStory Doors of Orange County
    10 years ago
    I thought the landscaping ideas were very good and agree with you that a new front door would also give it more curb appeal. Good luck on your project. It would be nice to see some after photos when you decide what you are going to do.
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    DMH DESIGN- great ideas! Impressive!
  • PRO
    Mark Levy Studio
    10 years ago
    Hello tiffanytward,
    Thank you for bringing this project to the discussion room; all of the comments seem to offer you a broad range of ideas.
    Do you have any photos of the house from a bit farther away, perhaps from across the street? I think that seeing the home so that the first and second floor are both fully visible will have much to do with what design/construction options give you the best solutions. I look forward to seeing those images, and sharing ideas with you!

Thanks,
    Mark
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I would make the front step wider and put in a new sidewalk that curves out to the driveway. Make flower beds wider out in front of the house and fill with low maintenance and dwarf varieties of evergreens such as dwarf Alberta, endless summer hydrangeas and an assortment of day lilies. As I suggested in my other post, I would paint the whole thing to look like a wall and not a roof.
  • Helen J
    10 years ago
    I'm also having a similar dilemma as yourself in respect of adding curb appeal... I've added a picture of my current favourite and think something similar could work for your home.

Good luck !
  • dooders1981
    10 years ago
    Wow. You have your hands full. Can you get rid of the overhang over the front door? I think you need professional advice. This is a lot to,tackle and your ideas of what you want to do seem to be too much and may add to the problem. Take this slowly with lots of thought and planning. Good luck.