Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsmagic

Hardie board or Better Than Logs Exterior siding

itsmagic
10 years ago
We are building a house in Northern Idaho on the CDA River. The house will be exposed to weather and reflection off the River ( paint fading and maintenance ). I saw this ad in Cabin Life for a company in Montana called Better Than Logs. It is comparable to Hardie cement lap siding but outrageous in price. I like the BTL look as an alternative to a real log home and the maintenance free story they tell but wonder if the sticker shock will really pay off over 3-5 years.

Has anyone heard of this company or more importantly used their products?

Thank you

Comments (29)

• hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    Google the name of it with the phrase 'reviews' after it and see what you get.
  • itsmagic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I tried that and got nothing so I am putting it out on Houzz but thank you!
  • zoomzoom
    10 years ago
    I understand your concern - we have the same questions. We are going to investigate Hardie Plank/Board over timber siding for a mountain home. But the look might put us off - we have to go see the new products.
  • PRO
    WeShipFloors
    8 years ago

Has anyone in Houzz ever installed this product? I plan on building a cabin this year and this is the most realistic cement log I have seen.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

FYI check out Hardie lawsuits just for fun.

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You have a link to that? I see a lot of discussion about Hardie siding failures, but nothing negative about this company.

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    8 years ago

Patricia,

I just received my Better Than Logs samples in the mail. This product is NOTHING like James Hardie siding. Unbelievable construction and very realistic. I'm planning on installing it on a new ICF cabin I'm starting in the spring. betterthanlogs.com is their website.

• PRO
    LivWell Homes
    7 years ago
    I'm also thinking about using this product. Has anyone tried it yet? If so, please let us know what you think. It's hard to imagine a product only existing 4 years, having a lifetime no maintenance guarantee.
  • jeff payne
    7 years ago

I received my Better Than Log's samples and was very impressed. Has anyone installed this product yet?

• Delta McCormick
    7 years ago

I'm going to use the BTL siding on a residence in western Wyoming. Will comment after installation is complete.

• Madison McMath
    7 years ago

@weshipfloors, I'd love to hear your experience with them. And see before and after pics

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've still not built yet. Too busy with my weshipfloors.com website

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

If anyone has any questions about our products or would like to request a sample. Please reach out to us directly or message us on Houzz. Hope this helps.

• Cale Lester
    4 years ago

I just finished installing Better Than Logs siding. The product is fine, but the company is garbage. I have a laundry list of complaints. Jon is a coward and refuses to do anything about it. No one at BTL will even answer the phone or call me back. If you go with concrete log siding, use Everlog, their competitor.

• HU-608064284
    4 years ago

Did you ever get things resolved with Jon at Better than logs??? I placed and Paid in Full for my order, it is now three months past delivery and I am getting Nothing but the run around. Audrey keeps making excuses for jon and jon Will NOT call my builder or me back. Have others had trouble with them?

• HU-424996153
    4 years ago

We have had the BTL siding for 3 years now. There is numerous areas where the stain is peeling, the siding is cracking and chunks have fallen off. The stuff is garbage!! I have called numerous times over the past 8 and talked with Jon and Andrea, they are both cowards and just give me the run around. We are going to talk with an attorney and file a lawsuit against them. The product is junk and the owner/employees are just as bad.

• HU-608064284
    4 years ago

I paid $23.000 plus change. Deliver date was October 2019. It is now late January 2020 my new home is wrapped and no siding! Don’t have a good feeling. Jon does not return calls or emails.

• Clint Shoop
    4 years ago

Four years of promises and frustration. The siding is failing and they are not honoring the warranty. Be sure to check out the lawsuit!!! Do not ever expect the siding to be made right. So sorry I dealt with this company and Jon.

• joncpilling
    2 years ago

Better than logs is a joke, after promise after promise of delivery dates, our shop still is unfinished, they don’t return calls, follow through. Make excuses their supply isn’t in so they can’t produce. Feel free to call me and I will explain our nightmare. 4062530253

• HU-608064284
    2 years ago

better than logs ripped me off for $26,000.00 Knowing the money I used was insurance money from my home burning down... they didn't care. I did get my home log sided because EverLog System helped me out. They filled my order and delivered my products right away. My home is beautiful! I recommend Steward, owner of EverLog System highly. Product looks good and wasn't difficult to put up. This picture shows the back of my cabin... I am sorry to those that got scammed by jon at btls..

better than logs is a rip off scam, they filed bankruptcy and could care less about anyone.

• joncpilling
    2 years ago

We have started a campaign to stop them from hurting anyone else, if you are part of the bunch of many that has been screwed by jon perry and his crew contact me 406 2530253 and we will char

• WarriorsWatchRiders Ser
    2 years ago

We were scammed by BTL. We signed the contract and 11 days later, they filed bankruptcy. Contract delivery date was no later than September 15, 2020. As of January 26, 2021, nothing. We requested a refund and they go quiet. As of today, May 16, 2021, they won't even reply to an email. They have over $55,000. 00 of our money. I've heard every excuse from Audrey for non delivery. We need to stop this scam before others get ripped off. I am happy that they didn't deliver their crappy product to us. Isn't their product made in China? Isn't that why they lost the lawsuit? Do your own research. We are in Florida. The FBI needs to know the numerous scams that BTL has pulled. The bigger the case, the better the FBI likes it. If you have been scammed by BTL, please get with joncpilling, above.

• Mark Lujan
    2 years ago

I got take for $42,000, we need to put this guy in jail

• HU-608064284
    2 years ago

He took your money after he filed bankruptcy? He stole 25,000 from me and much more from others. Don't understand how he's getting away with it. Linda

• Lisbeth Odén
    last year

Good morning all. I did install better than log on my home and I’m starting to see some of the issues that you all have mentioned. I’m curious to know what if any mitigation you’ve been able to do to save your logs from continued deterioration and if it will only continue to get worse or can I do some maintenance on them to prevent further issues? Also have any of you filled them with foam for additional support? I recognize there’s no financial recourse against better than log but curious what if anything I can do to save what I have or if I just should scrap it and put it in other siding. Many thanks!

• HU-608064284
    last year

Scrap it and call Stewart from EverLogs. He helped me after jon and audrey ripped me off. My logs are holding up fine, no issues at all. I am surprised you even got your product from them. How can they still be doing business?

• WarriorsWatchRiders Ser
    last year

Call Stewart We love our siding from Everlog You cant make chicken salad from chicken poop

• Lisbeth Oden
    last year

Unfortunately I don't have the funds to scrap it and start over so trying to save what I have. Has anyone tried painting/sealing them to prevent further deterioration with any success? Thanks.