Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mherington

Suburban North Atlanta kitchen remodel

mherington
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We bought our home in the middle of 2012. The original kitchen and bath needed serious updates, but we were undeterred. With the help of the Marcus Corp. general contractors, we were able to bring about a rather stunning transformation (if I do say so myself).

Note that the original kitchen cabinets were faux-painted over white to look like wood. It is a good illusion in the photos, but up close the paint was wearing off in places, letting the stark white original paint peek through. Countertops were Corian, but worn. The corner between the cooktop and double ovens was a dark cave, and there was simply no food prep space to be found.

We chose to completely tear out the kitchen and start over. In order to get more surface area, we decided to omit the double oven in the new layout. We designed custom hardwood cabinets that rise all the way to the ceiling, selected new stainless fixtures and equipment, and had new granite tops fabricated and installed. Appliances are Wolf and Sub-Zero, the fixtures are Danze. Cabinet pulls and knobs are from Restoration Hardware.

Comments (33)

• mherington
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hmmm... First time posting, didn't realize there was a constraint on the number of photos. Sorry folks, the before and after is going to be a little scattered.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I'm sorry, but I don't see any before cabinets. I like the new look, but I think before photos would show us a bigger difference.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Confusing? Looks like 3 different kitchens;)
  • darylchambers
    10 years ago
    I love the glass front cabinets and would like to do the same. Being close to the stove, are they hard to keep clean? I cook at least twice a day every day.
  • mherington
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Margo, I know, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware of how Houzz handled multiple photo uploads, so everything got jumbled. I assure you, it isn't three kitchens, just one!
  • slweimer
    10 years ago
    can I ask..where are the subway backsplash tile from? Which color is it? This is the look I am going for in my kitchen!
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Ok, now I see them! Nice job. The before was still nicer than what some people have, lol. We're you able to give the old cabinets away to be reused?
  • mherington
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    darylchambers, the glass has stayed fairly clean. We love the new Wolf and are only just starting to tap its full potential. A deep cleaning at each change of season seems to keep it all in check.
  • slweimer
    10 years ago
    also.. what type of granite is that? Do you know the name of it? thanks!!
  • mherington
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    handyman, as a matter of fact, we did. There is a "ReStore" (a Habitat reuse and resell store) near by that took the cabinets for us. The were all but gone the next week. And yes, the kitchen was actually pretty nice the way it was, but felt dated and not quite in line with what we wanted for the house. Personal preference, that's all :)
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Good for you then! I understand why you did the update, just glad that you donated them! Great job!
  • mherington
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The granite is "Lennon" from Levantina USA, and I'm still looking for the invoice for the tile. It is a 2x4 stub way tile, with a (very) slight metallic look. I'll try to come up with the name ASAP.
  • slweimer
    10 years ago
    thank you so much! Your kitchen remodel is stunning. We have the exact cabinet color as yours but are definitely interested in the color granite/tile you used!! Thanks for posting your images- this is exactly what I am going for!! :)
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    Wonderful job. Love the new kitchen.
  • Kim White
    10 years ago
    How long did the transformation take, we are looking to update our kitchen and we would like help in the north Atlanta area. Did your contractor do a good job?
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    I agree with you - your kitchen is stunning. Enjoy!
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    Kitchen is stunning! Wonderful work and great job
  • mherington
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all of the positive comments!

The remodel took about 5 weeks grand total, but we had a serious delay from the cabinet maker. Demo was maybe 2 days, cabinets should have been a week or so but took much longer, and install was only a day. Final finish work and tile took another week or so.

In all, it was tolerable, but the cabinet shop really threw a wrench in things. They made good on it in the end. We're still super happy with the final result.

slwimer: I haven't been able to track down the invoice for the tile, but I do know we sourced it from Specialty Tile off of Oakbrook parkway in Norcross, GA. Great folks to work with and a huge selection of great products.
  • Kim White
    10 years ago
    Thanks for that info, I want an idea of what to expect. I'll check out your contractor. Thanks again.
  • PRO
    Solar Luminance
    10 years ago
    Great job on the tear down and remodel! I notice you have recessed Lighting and the two pendants. Is that Lighting sufficient? Have you, or would you, consider a natural Daylight Light Fixture? I notice you do not have window access, and the kitchen is fairly dark.
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous!
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10 years ago
    Wow, your kitchen is so classy !
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    beautiful! love that you actually cook on that gorgeous stove!
  • mherington
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's been a while since visiting, so here goes. I'm still searching for the perfect LED flood to put in the cans and two pendants. CREE makes some nice units, but I'm very sensitive to "off" color temperature. And I can't stand the dead spot in the middle. So, we still have halogens in the cans and incandescent in the pendants. The light is really pretty good. They are on dimmers, too. Love the pot filler, but we may have to turn it off until two young boys learn not to climb and, err, experiment.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    Nice classy kitchen!
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    9 years ago
    Beautiful! Love the gray tones with the dark cabinetry. Nice fridge too!
  • mherington
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And a little more about the lighting. The cabinets have led undercounted spots for work surface illumination. Daytime daylight floods in from an adjacent breakfast area with nearly 180 degrees of full height windows. Plenty of good light in the day, and with the dimmers set, we can create a pretty dramatic scene.
  • PRO
    Mural Art - Wall Murals and Custom Paintings
    9 years ago
    I like the dark wood and especially the see-through glass on the cabinets.
  • sura4509
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous cabinetry. :)
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Great transformation! Backsplash design looks great!

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    7 years ago

Nice!

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago
    MHerington, ooohhh, yeeeaaa! We have Nora LEDs in our cans in K & FamRm. Love'em. Choices of color temps & no flicker on proper LED-rated dimmer.