Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_bilotta

How would you fill this room?

Jennifer Bilotta
10 years ago
We live in a small carriage house - only this room and the kitchen and powder room downstairs. So it needs to be a place for our five year old daughter to play, for us to have happy hour and I'd love to add a desk for working and more storage space for the toys. Not sure if i should rearrange the sectional or use the space behind it the way it is now. We have some things coming for the walls but would be happy to hear suggestions on that as well. Thanks for any input!!!

Comments (8)

• Jennifer Bilotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! I like the idea of putting the desk where the console is and you're right about the lamp. I know the shade isn't right for that lamp in any case - was taken from another for the short term. What sort of cabinets would you suggest? I love the white modular sort of built in things but thought that might look too modern with the rest of the room. My husband thinks we should add built ins on the one wall that isn't plaster but I disagree.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    I think in such a small space you should build as much storage as you can to keep the clutter down, especially with children. I am not sure where you live but if near an Ikea they have lots of great storage items and they come in different colors not just white. You can even use kitchen horizontal cabinets hung on the wall to form long low storage, the wall behind the sectional I would build up to the ceiling and about 18" deep, that should hide most of the stuff and give you lots of really usable storage.The wall without plaster is where I would put the lower storage and if you wanted then you could add your desk at the end.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You might hit the second hand stores to find some storage with character to fit in your space. An old buffet or armoire might do the trick for toy storage. Normally, I'd want the sofa more in the corner, but it does make a great play space back there. Love the little vignette by the window with the sailboat. Would like to see it "anchored" on a large vintage Persian rug - even a somewhat worn second hand one would fit the bill!
    Jennifer Bilotta thanked decoenthusiaste
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    I like this room. I think you could make a space where you have started already for the kids. Is the non-plaster wall where the TV is now or to the left of that?. Put some modular storage directly behind the sofa FACING the wall where the 2 pictures are hanging. that way it is less visible. Keep the height lower than the back of the couch. If you were to build a unit onto the non-plaster wall, I would incorporate the TV into it at a much lower position- just above the back of the couch, depending on which wall you mean. the TV is too high right now..
    Jennifer Bilotta thanked sunnydrew
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    Nice space. I think I would add a low bookcase behind the sofa. As you have done before fill baskets with toys. How about another rug for your daughter's area? For the larger items like the doll house, arrange them decoratively in the area. They're sweet. Maybe add some pinks to the rest of the room so the colors coordinate with the toys.

Vento · More Info

i https://www.houzz.com/photos/memorial-park-modern-contemporary-living-room-houston-phvw-vp~1408474
    Children's Lounge · More Info
    Jennifer Bilotta thanked Dar Eckert
  • Jennifer Bilotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all so much for the thoughtful advice! I love the low bookcase idea, that would solve a lot. The non-plaster wall is the whole side where the TV is now. Thanks for the note about the TV being to high. Had no idea but now that I look again...
  • PRO
    HVL Interiors LLC
    10 years ago
    What a great space. I think everyone has it right, you definitely need storage here. Not
    only to keep clutter like the toys and other objects tucked away when they aren’t being
    used, but to give character and purpose to your layout. You mentioned
    wanting a desk, and we would recommend an L-shaped shallow desk behind the sectional, wrapping the adjacent wall, creating a work corner, which would also be a good place for a decorative/ task lamp. Consider a chest for a table surface at the end of the sofa, providing a place to hold toys, etc. The shelves, artwork and other occupants seem lost. We would suggest hanging some larger pieces as well as adding something with some textural qualities, to help create some interest and flow. Are you able to paint the white wall? If so, we would recommend an olive or terracotta color to give depth to the room, and some stronger, more earth-toned pillows on the sofa. We would slipcover the red chair with a flax-colored linen. Use similar wood to what is in the ceiling to help bring some weight to the mud and daub design for a desk and other casegoods. Low bookshelves flanking the window would work well behind the two chairs, as you seem to have plenty of depth to bump them out a little. Also a few metal accents would be nice, perhaps in a coffee table. We would like to see a mid-height cabinet below the TV, providing more storage and a nice height interruption. You have a charming place - a few larger pieces, some warmth and organization will do wonders!