Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geotammy

Seating placement at a kitchen island.

geotammy
10 years ago
We are designing a kitchen island and trying to decide on the seating arrangement. I see a lot that are in a row along one side but this seems quite antisocial. I tend to prefer the idea of seating along two sides or even three sides at one end. What are your thoughts on this?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    I think it has a lot to do with the layout and the space available. Our space is 13' wide and with the sink on one side and wanting to have a pantry wall on the other there was only so much room left. We have it where everybody sits on one side.
    geotammy thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • geotammy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Have you been happy with that arrangement? Also, thanks for the pictures - a visual is always helpful.
  • geotammy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much Gina. Those pictures, and especially the design drawing, are great. That is almost exactly the size we are dealing with and I like the look of the seating around the end.
  • sgprice
    10 years ago
    My kitchen has an angled peninsula with a raised counter that seats four. I like that its angled rather than straight so that we can all see each other but if I'd had a larger space I would have designed the eating area as depicted in the drawing above. Sitting across from another person is so much more social and definitely more pleasant than sitting all lined up in a row.
    geotammy thanked sgprice
  • geotammy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your input - I agree, it seems so much more social.
  • Gina
    10 years ago
    She found me on Houzz; and designed the layout below, changing the layout a little.

Agnese Purvinska
    Millwork & Interior Designer
    dba Aggie Designs
    252 Java Street, Suite 344
    Brooklyn, NY 11222

Cell/ Text 718-986-1846
    Email: purvinska@gmail.com
    Web: www.aggiedesigns.com
    geotammy thanked Gina
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    @geotammy We've been happy with the layout. When it's just me and the wife we'll eat there sometimes. It's also nice because someone can sit there and talk with you while your cooking. It really was nice on Christmas Eve when we had all the appetizers set out before dinner people were able to mill around and visit. I looked up one time and noticed 12 people around the island and no one seemed crowded. That's when I knew we hit a home run with the layout.

If you have the space like in the picture Gina posted that would be great. Older ranch style homes like ours don't which is why our design works so well for us.
  • geotammy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks again Kevin. By the way, I love your cabinets (both the stye and the shade) and the colours you have chosen in the kitchen. Very nice!
  • PRO
    Craft Art Elegant Surfaces
    10 years ago
    I just wanted to throw some inspiration into the mix. I think it truly depends on the function of your kitchen and how you use your home. The single direction seating is great especially if you will be really cooking while your guests/family is sitting. I love the idea of the kids facing me while doing homework and me cooking! I think it's one of the best "every day" kind of layouts.

My personal favorite right now is the third photo I included with the 2 direction seating. The island has the one direction seating that I love but also stretches out a little farther to become almost a table on one end for the larger gatherings.

So many options, so little time (and space)!
  • geotammy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I really like that set up and we have the space so we will probably try to do something like that. Thank for sharing the pictures.
  • nkubot
    10 years ago
    I really like your pictures. My debate is whether to have the seating be counter height or lower the seating area. For us since it is just adults, the counter height will be okay, but for resale, I'm wondering if other people would like the table height better.
    geotammy thanked nkubot
  • PRO
    Robert
    10 years ago
    Depending on the amount of space you can to plan your seating for your island. Assess your space first . For example - If you have children and the kitchen island is where they do homework, you may want a lower counter and seating area. OR , If your seating gets in the way of traffic patterns. Consider using smaller stools or chairs that can be utilized in other rooms or put away when they aren’t needed.
    Kitchen island seating can make your kitchen more versatile. It is the new dining room table. Use the tips to help you decide what kitchen island seating suits your needs best.
    geotammy thanked Robert
  • PRO
    Leicht Westchester-Greenwich
    10 years ago
    Along the sides or the end is definitely something to consider when designing your island. It's always a good idea to visit a showroom or friends' homes to get a feel for what you'd prefer.

Here are a few ideas to get you started:
    DUTCH kitchens: TRADITIONAL style · More Info

If you're in the area, come join us for breakfast and check out our free kitchen session every first Saturday of the month: http://leichtwestchester.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration
    You can bring your kitchen plan and get advice on everything from cabinet choices to budget.

All the best! Let us know if you have any questions.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Elise Brown
    10 years ago
    Adding a curve to a normal straight bar can make the seating seam more personal.
  • Gina
    10 years ago
    @craft art- do you have any more of the kitchen in pic 3?