Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffinys

Would love some advice on how to furnish and arrange my front room.

tiffinys
10 years ago
For a girl who loves to decorate, I'm not very good at arranging a room! A few months ago I more or less gutted my front room with the intent to redo it. But I am stuck on step one: what furniture to put in there and how to arrange it. I already have some ideas on the style I want, so what I really need help with is simply how to furnish and arrange. This room is only used when company comes. Because it is quite long (12' x 20') I just don't know how to use all the space. I would like to keep the hutch (from my grandmother) and the piano in there. The couch can stay if I can get it to look right but I'm open to replacing it should something like a sectional be a better fit in the room. I need advice on a rug--the size, shape and placement. Also, how to make a sitting area around the rug (should I keep the couch, what kinds of chairs should I add, do I need a coffee table and/or side tables, etc). Once I have a seating area set up, it feels like there's still space that needs to be filled. I would love any ideas. Thanks!!

Comments (14)

• User
    10 years ago
    Lampert has good advice. I agree, get two upholstered chairs (possibly an ottoman), keep the sofa. Don't get a sectional, they are so inflexible.
    tiffinys thanked User
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Great potential here! The room is too large for one seating area. It needs to be divided, which is a great advantage.

The window end will be a seating area. The entrance end will be where the piano is.

Please try this and post pictures

1) Take the couch and place it facing toward the windows. It will be parallel to the windows. Float it out to sit between the second set of sconces.

2) Place 2 chairs in the corners by the windows, facing the couch, angled.(or you can place them perpendicular to the couch. Use any chairs for a mod-up right now. Place a coffee table in the center. A rug will go there……not sure what size yet, let's see.

3) Place piano on wall directly across from the window (by the entrance).

4) Place 2 chairs with their backs to the couch, facing piano.

5) Hutch will go on wall across from entrance.

Details to follow once you get furniture arranged.
    tiffinys thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • tiffinys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the ideas, they are SO appreciated! I will try all suggestions.
  • tiffinys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few photos of one arrangement.
  • tiffinys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry about the sideways photos! They are not showing that way when I attach them.
  • lmfbooth
    10 years ago
    Like most I would put the couch in the middle of the room, however, I would put the piano up against the back of the couch place a pretty circular lamp on the piano so it will give light to the folks on the couch as well as the pianist. The I would put a low coffee table in front of the couch.. Would put the hutch on the far left of the 12 foot wall and buy a 30 inch round table to go with the two retro chairs in the opposite corner so that two people could play cards... If u still have enough room at the window try and create a window seat with cushions so someone could cozy up and read a good book.. Just my two cents... Post pics if it feels right...
    tiffinys thanked lmfbooth
  • lmfbooth
    10 years ago
    Sorry, would also get rid of the 2 non matching chairs by the window and also get rid of the wall sconces. Would add in 2 floor lamps on opposite sides of the window for more light... If u could would replace current coach fabric with a thin stripe and then add fun colored floral or print pillows...
    tiffinys thanked lmfbooth
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Tiffinys. great job.

I am assuming, from what you said this is purely a mock-up.

I think it looks good, with the exception of the hutch awkwardly half-way under a sconce. You could try moving the hutch between the 2 furniture arrangements, so that it sits between 2 sconces.

It could be a challenge. You may have to remove the sconces, or do what imfbooth described and place the piano behind the couch. Then, you could place the hutch on the wall where the piano is now.

How are you feeling about the progress?
  • tiffinys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    CDR Design, yes this is a mock-up. I'm trying to get the right arrangement and then I will get the right pieces in each place.
    The progress is feeling really good!
    I am open to removing the sconces and updating the lighting. (My whole house has outdated lighting so I'd like to learn the basics on this anyway.) What kind of lighting would you recommend in this room? In addition to the sconces, there is a big (old) ceiling fan/light hanging over the center of the room.
    With the pictured arrangement, what kind of chairs would you recommend in front of the window? How about against the back of the couch? Would you recommend a rug in front of the couch? Would the room look better if I added other pieces of furniture along the walls? (I have lots of random pieces I could try out).
    Thank you so much for your input, it is very helpful!
  • tiffinys
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lampert Dias, may I ask you for a little more detail on your suggestions?
    When you say two matching upholstered chairs are you suggesting something like large wingback chairs or more on the smaller side? Also, as to the placement of the chairs facing the couch, would they look better against the wall on either side of the hutch, or pulled in closer to the couch with some space between them and the hutch?
    Also, in your opinion would the room need some other pieces on the window side to not look too empty?
    Thanks so much for your suggestions!!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Think about how you'd like the room to function. Look at pictures one Houzz. One idea is back-to-back couches.

[houzz=
    Home Farm 1 · More Info
    [houzz=
    Lake Bluff custom residence · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Do you want a high table at one end with a bar? A table to play board games? Or just 2 seating areas?

I would remove the sconces. Overhead can lights to replace them would be great. Otherwise, you can use lamps. Those will not be decided until your furniture is set.

[houzz=
    Kiawah Family Home · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Sorry for the late reply to your question.....the chairs should be forward of the hutch. CDR design shows several photos of chairs that will work. Not high back chairs but more contemporary.

The window area is very attractive and can be without furniture. However if you want you can place a low bench there - an attractive piece - upholstered or plain wood with cushions.
    tiffinys thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.