Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelsealeemcd

How do you repaint kitchen cabinetry yourself AND it look good !

chelsealeemcd
10 years ago
Any ideas welcome !

Comments (12)

• PRO
    D. S. Brennan Photography
    10 years ago
    We read on numerous DIY sites that we should use a brush - spent weeks trying to get them to look right - finally gave up and used a roller with a short knap - worked like a charm. Word of warning - we love how bright our kitchen is now that the cabinets are white, but white paint shows every little spill and splatter. If / when I redo the job we may opt for a gray instead.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You could start a new trend in "kid prints" themed kitchen colors!
  • witch06
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If I had to paint my kitchen cabinets, I would definitly paint them white again. This is no plain white but a kind of "ceruse" and patina paint. (hides all the blemishes) Five years later they still look great eventhough if it took quite a lot of time finalizing the project, I'm glad I did.
    First of all, sand your cabinets. Mine were warnished: this is was it took so long sanding (I only used sand paper, no sander)
    Then wipe off all the remaining dust with a slightly damp cloth and let dry completely.
    Get a good white primer and apply it with a large and flat brush. Paint long uneven stokes over the surface, following the natural wood grain. With a small brush add more primer on the details in order to underline relief. (see on my picture = tables & drawer are painted the same way)
    When it's dry you cover all the painted surface with a translucent satin finish varnish [slightly tinted white gets best results]
    Satin finish is the answer if you don't want spill & splatter to show!
    This varnish should be selected in a special range for kitchen and bathrooms because they are more resistant to water.
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    Consider hiring a pro it will make your life easier and it will give you the best result
  • Chad Coates
    10 years ago
    In our last house we re faced everything by ordering new paint grade doors. we sanded the frames of the boxes and painted with a roller...that part was easy. The doors were a long and painful project. We got cabinet door hangers from Rockler.com...they use a cam lock to hang the door from a hinge hole. Then I bought a simple Stanley paint gun and used a primer and then Floetrol and SW Antique White. it took about 3 coats but they turned out great. I used painter's pyramids to do the drawer fronts with the spray gun. it was a lot of work but I had the space and the time.

Supposedly you can use a deglosser to skip the sanding step which was the messiest part. I asked a lot of questions at my local Sherwin Williams an dc they were very helpful. good luck!
  • Sharon Cameron
    10 years ago
    Preparation is key. Take the doors off the hinges, number them as you go. Take the hardware off too. Don't rush any of the steps.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    YES - number everything. :-)
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Buy and use a lot of sand paper.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    If you have time and elbow grease see rustoleumtransformations.com for a product that is getting great reviews.
  • Leslie Brooks
    10 years ago
    Buy BM paint that is made for metal and wood. Sand your cabinets so the surface is smooth. Clean them well so the paint goes on smooth and even. Use a short nap roller. Use a semi gloss paint so you can easily wash off any debris. I did this 4 years ago and love my cabinets now. They were a hideous cabinet and they look fantastic now.
  • PRO
    Preval (Professional Grade Sprayer Systems)
    9 years ago
    Preval sprayers are used in all industries; We have two sprayers that have a patented vacuum-suction piece that does not allow for spilling or additional paint to leak out; Please review our site and look for our sprayers! Send me a note if I can help you.