Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foreverfarm11

New home hardwood floors are scratched

foreverfarm11
10 years ago
I am building a new home, and surprise - I should be in by now. They installed the hardwood floors about a month ago and were cutting wood etc. in the house. Anyways, after they cleaned the floor, it has scratches all over it. At least 100 maybe 200 - anyways they want to use filler to fix it, I say they should put new hardwood in (my builder said it was laminate hardwood, the building manager said engineered) - I dont trust that filler will last and I say if I have scratches they should be made by me, not by them. What do you think?

Comments (11)

• unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    Wow, tough question. I can't see the scratches from the pic but if they are bad enough for you to see, then something should be done. Why don't you let them fill some and see how that works? Is there a warranty for the floors? I do not know enough about fillers but get online and see what others have to say about it.

Seems like something always happens when building a home. If they had already installed the floors previously, why were they cutting wood on them? That should have been done outside, I would think. But that is a moot point now. Are the scratches where the saw was set up? And why does no one know what the floors are?
  • foreverfarm11
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The problem I have with using the filler is that it doesnt always last if not done properly and based on the work I have seen them do, I dont trust them to fill it properly. If the filler comes out in 6 months, then where am I stuck. They will just say my dogs scratched the floors up. based on my experience with them over the last several months I dont trust them. I told them to credit me on the floor (a percentage) and they declined. I upgraded to this flooring, I shouldnt have scratches.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    No, you should not have these types of problems at all. I would suggest that you maybe call their home office or corporate office to bring this to a conclusion. If that does not work you can file a complaint with the contractor's board in your state, if you live in the USA. And the BBB as well.

If you do not think fillers will work then tell them that and say you are very unsatisfied with their work and make them do something since YOU are PAYING them. It is not the other way around.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    Yes! If you're in the USA, then check online at bbb.org . I agree, you should have not any problems with new installations. In my state (CT, USA) we have workmanship laws. You may have to take them to civil court if they remain uncooperative. I've never needed to do and rather not do so, so i'll be glad to hear from others in how they solve a problem similar to yours
  • foreverfarm11
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    we called the corporate office and left a message. They are saying they will replace the floors and will do so on my top floor. For the first floor they want to lay engineered hardwood over the engineered hardwood they have down now. I dont see any issues with that - what do you guys think?
  • foreverfarm11
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I told them yesterday to just tear out the old floors and put new ones in....they didnt want to move the baseboards and I am just tired of dealing with it. They have not replied yet. I really wish I would have never built a new home.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    foreverfarm11 : I see that you are following Mr Kutch at http://www.houzz.com/user/lifespalette. I seen his comments in other discussions, and liked them. If at wits end you may want to contact him directly to see what he thinks/knows
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    @foreverfarm, your house will turn out great. Don't despair. These things happen when building a new home, sometimes just seems like one thing after another, right?

Hopefully things with the flooring will work out fine in the end. Again, I wish the flooring companies that comment quite regularly on here would have seen this thread.

Keep a stiff upper lip and keep us appraised as to what is happening. :))
    foreverfarm11 thanked unwantedadvice
  • foreverfarm11
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    in the end the house will be beautiful, we are just so tired of fighting witht he builders on the quality or work, stupid things like moldy trim, or tile work that is uneven. I am almost ready to tell them to get out and pay someone else to do it. I should have been in the home, based on the timeline I was given in November. I just want in. I know everyone has problems,
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I have been scouring houzz threads for some of the regular flooring companies but to no avail. I thought I would jump in and ask them to come over and help you. So sorry.

Of course you wish it to be over with and unfortunately you are on their time table not yours. Always unforeseen issues that crop up.
Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA