Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mishel4

Why did I buy a seafoam green couch? Now what to paint the walls?

mishel4
10 years ago
I bought a seafoam green couch for the sun room and now I'm not sure what to paint the walls. The couch was bit of an impulse buy. The room is open to the kitchen, which is painted revere pewter, BM. I thought about a darker shade of revere pewter which would be a dark greige. My husband thinks that may be too boring since we have a couple other rooms in the house that are grey too. I'm also interested in an aubergine. Yet I have a open floor plan and don't want it to look too 'color crazy'. some friends have suggested yellow, though I can't picture that looking good, I invision an Easter egg. Also considering painting the ceiling I included a photo of the two floors, tan in the sun room and grey/blue in the kitchen. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Comments (42)

• PRO
    Liza Jane Interiors
    10 years ago
    Mishe...hello. You could go really daring and paint the room orange!
  • mishel4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That would make a statement!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The same color as the rug? Dark with the light seafoam would be lovely.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    You have a lot of light. I like JudyG's go bold idea, that room would look very inviting in dark gray.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Seafoam green is so close to mint green that it works will with chocolate brown too.
    Pleasant Valley · More Info
    Walking Stick · More Info
  • PRO
    By Design
    10 years ago
    This is a very pretty space. Try painting the walls BM Revere Pewter, add in more silver touches in accessories.
  • Jessica Decker Kinzler
    10 years ago
    What about similar to the couch but a touch darker?
  • trebinje
    10 years ago
    BM Guilford Green? Plays well with gray and orange.
    Modern Bermuda · More Info
  • jonathan3
    10 years ago
    I love your impulse buying style and I hope you still love the sofa. With a room in such soft colors that look neutral, it would be easy to change the accent colors with the season. Think of pillows, drapes, throws, rugs and even art work that change with the seasons without a lot of expense or storage. After buying that beautiful sofa, go back and pick something else you love to coordinate with it. Take a fabric swatch, usually found under one of the cushions, or take the cushion shopping with you. Considering the close proximity of the other rooms, I would choose paint the same color range to avoid chopping up the design. Of course, if you feel overwhelmed by too much gray...you may be looking at a lot more painting in your future.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I like either of JudyG's ideas.
  • wisneb
    10 years ago
    How about a slipcover?
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    It seems from your post that you are a lover of colour, and so I suggest white walls so that you may play with accent shades as bright or soft as you like, as often as you like,without fear. Keeping the walls neutral allows the green to act as either the dominant shade or near-neutral to other, more saturated colours without fear of winding up w a SpongeBob Squarepants effect in your room. Good luck with your project.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Think about painting the ceiling that darker shade of revere pewter. Maybe in a semi gloss. That would add a lot of drama. And update the fan.
    Private Residence - Formal French · More Info
  • lucyhomedecor
    10 years ago
    With so much light in the room, you could go dark gray like JudyG suggested. Keep the rug & find some accent pillow with both colors & use silver touches suggested By Design. Change the ceiling fan to chrome & add mercury glass lamps on the end tables.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    pcmom, your idea gave me my idea:) I'd paint the ceiling in sea foam green and the walls a soft white.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I like the current color as a neutral backdrop but I like the idea of painting the ceiling a seafoam green.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Well bumblebee, we certainly are thinking alike! Crossed post...
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Hi mishel4 -- I liked Liza Jane's suggestion so much, I put her orange into your room and added these sea silk curtains with a copper shimmer:
    http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/sea-blue-thai-silk-curtains-drapes.html

I also updated your fan, and sorry I scribbled over your tree -- it made it harder to judge how the orange would look with your sofa...
    mishel4 thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Hi Bluenan :)
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I love painted ceilings! I use one of those very narrow rollers , only an inch or two diameter. Less paint splatter!
  • mishel4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow what great ideas from everyone! I'm so indecisive your thoughts really help. I'm leaning towards painting the walls grey, so the white window trim stands out. Also considered navy blue. I'll definitely be changing out the fan. With a darker color on the walls what color would you paint the ceiling? Or should I paint the walls BM revere pewter, like in the kitchen and paint the ceiling a dark color??? Thanks!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Here is even another option for the ceiling: paper it! I have a vaulted ceiling in my family room that I had papered with a subtle beige and white stripe. It just adds to the room. Maybe you could do white and seafoam.
    Buckhead Sophistication · More Info
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Or paint the ceiling in a semi gloss paint for the shine.
    Plantation Sunroom · More Info
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    Your sun room has such a wonderful, fresh ambiance! Tossing a custom stencil idea into the mix. Picking up the exact colour of your couch in at least one element of the stencil would make your furniture selection look like a planned design coup! An applied lattice / trellis work (1/8-1/4" max depth) in white against a green background could be very effective--the design of the lattice work to suit the style of your home. pcmom's ceiling approach is great in her space, but if adopted for yours, I would suggest achieving that with a stencil (or custom cut effect with paper) so that the centre of the ceiling is not pulled down, effectively shrinking your room. The idea, well designed, could imply a garden room open to the sky (and if that idea appeals, a trompe l’œil sky could be amazing!!
    mishel4 thanked John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Garden Oaks, trying to expand my knowledge. What do you mean by "center of ceiling pulled down"? Do you mean in the example with the wallpaper? Is that because of the wallpaper selection?

The garden room idea would be lovely. I see a few houseplants sitting there already.
    Elsie Interior | Salem Church Road | Sunfish Lake, MN · More Info
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Found a picture with some lattice on the walls:
    Adams (1919) · More Info
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Posting this because I think if you could find a vintage piece to put under that window opposite the sofa (then set some of your plants on that), would look very nice.

Do you have a couple of wicker chairs for this room? Please ignore the chairs in this photo: it is the wooden furniture piece I like!
    Caledon Residence · More Info
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I think your white wall color looks nice ... I would suggest an area rug that has some orange and green in it.

This rug is from Pottery Barn:
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    pcmom, the ceiling in mishel4's room is much lower than yours, so a pattern across the ceiling would "bring it down" in the sense of drawing the eye and making the ceiling more "present". It adds weight that is a good thing, sometimes, in a higher ceiling such as yours--drawing attention up in a way that does not shrink the room. But in mishel4s case, I thing that any ceiling treatment should leave the centre open. Imagine a pattern that might extend from the walls and up about a foot into the ceiling area, but leaving the centre open. This has the advantage of obscuring the line of the top of the wall, subtly giving an impression that the wall is higher, reinforced with a void that the eye takes in as more height in the centre. Some properties could really work this (not necessarily mishel4's as I have not seen it all). For example, the lattice treatment, a stencil, paper or mural effect obscuring the wall top with flowering vine element and a trompe loeil sky effect would be magical. But again, unless the house overall is to that design standard, it would look out of place. The overall design aesthetic is important. Great find on the lattice, btw!
  • PRO
    Mural Art - Wall Murals and Custom Paintings
    10 years ago
    Hi mishel4, a way to open the room is to have an artist paint a sky ceiling mural. It's fun for sun rooms. I wouldn't recommend a dark ceiling, as it defeats the purpose of the sun room. Here is one I hand painted for a client who was a bird watcher. Good luck with the room : )
  • valerienewell
    10 years ago
    Mishe, I wouldn't paint the room orange unless it faces north because that may be too warm feeling in the summer.
    What about a deep green that coordinates with your sofa? Keep your orange accents and pops of white....lovely room.
  • valerienewell
    10 years ago
    Michel4, ...a beautiful color that may work is called "Drizzle", by Sherwin -Williams.
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    I like the seafoam sofa. Like the pic with the two blue wicker chairs too. Since you thought of a purple, how about this colour. http://houzz.com/photos/622682
  • mishel4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all your input....went with Chelsea Gray, BM
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    10 years ago
    Grey would be fabulous. The rug color but lighter.
  • valerienewell
    10 years ago
    Mishel4, your room looks great! With all of your windows you have plenty of light for that color and it provides wonderful contrast to the sea green couch. So glad you posted the "after".
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    It's beautiful! It frames the lovely window views.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Love Chelsea gray; now how about a wood coffee table to balance out all the wood in the kitchen. How about less but bigger plant pots?
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Yup, rug, coffee table and just a couple of large plants will finish it off!
    Elsie Interior | Salem Church Road | Sunfish Lake, MN · More Info
  • bitterswt02
    10 years ago
    beautiful!!
  • twinkleberry
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous room, nicely done Mishel4!
Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21