Shop Products
lauraflucus

Need help with my kitchen. Where to place the fridge?

Laura
Hi guys!
In my kitchen is a bit difficult to move things around and I can say it was a bit of a challenge for us to create the working space. Somehow we didn't succeeded because I don't know where to place my fridge. Initially we wanted a side by side and therefore we didn't incorporate the oven under the stove, we just placed it on the same level with the worktop. There were some other reasons for doing so, like the cabinets wouldn't have aligned properly. If it would be to turn back the time, maybe I would choose to have a bit of misalignment and incorporate the fridge where the oven is now (for the moment is missing, it was not yet delivered) . The problem is the only available space left in the kitchen for placing the fridge, is the eating area. Somehow I have mixed fillings about placing the fridge in that zone. Another option would be to place it in the pantry, but some in the family are reluctant.
Another advise I need is about how to decorate the eating space. It feel like is a bit empty over there. I was thinking to build a corner bench and place some canvases on the walls.
Would that work with a fridge and a corner bench in the eating zone? Maybe is too much?
I really need some opinions.

Darlene Thatcher
    I would definitely take the advice of Thos.Baker. You have a lot of space where your table is to extend the kitchen area.
    A Kitchen That Works LLC
    Install additional cabinets on the wall perpendicular to the window wall, behind where the table is now and panelize the fridge to give it a built in look. you could either use tall pantry style cabinets there and have a block or you could - going left to right - fridge then base cabinets and wall cabs with countertop. The countertop are would give you a charging zone for for cellphones etc. and an in-kitchen office area. The table then becomes the landing zone for loading and unloading the refrigerator. The table moves out into the room as suggested by Thos. Baker.

Need help with my living room and where to place tv Please!!!

There you go...I finally figured out how :)

need help where to place my 42" TV

The only place I might suggest is the TV placed on a unit at the West in front of the windows, as it will face East. It may only have a reflection of the morning sun. Most of your TV viewing time will probably occur during the rest of the day and evening hours. You might get too much glare from the south window if placed on the North wall. Your sofas may be able to swivel with the back of the L-shape facing the dining table. You would be able to view the TV from the kitchen which is an advantage. Based on your information of not wanting to put the TV above the fireplace which is a logical area. It is best to have the seating placed somewhere toward the fireplace and the TV.

Need help placing fridge in kitchen remodel

Do you still plan on two cooking surfaces? Personally, I don't like having to keep my kitchen spotless because it can be seen from more social spaces, but open is "hot" right now. I'd much rather have the storage cabinets could provide on that wall you want to open. The island should turn the other direction if you want all that length. I'd eliminate the bar and stool idea and make it more about function with a lower baking center, pop up appliance storage, wine fridge and prep sink if you can plumb it. You have the nook for eating. Build a banquette across the wall and add a great family farm/trestle table and good looking light fixture to hang above it.

need help with my livingroom/dining room how to place my things?

You have some nice things! But that is a lot of furniture for that space. But that is a lot of things put into one room. Do you really need the dining table since you seem to have a large bar to set at? Is it a simple folding table? Is that a sectional sofa? I can't tell from here. If possible, try this and post us a photo: Put sofa along the wall, opposite the tv. Use the bench as your coffee table. Top it with a tray to hold drinks steady. Put the computer desk against the same wall as the sofa, only where the dining table now is. Put the small chair in the corner where the desk was.
  • leelee
    I see two doors in the kitchen--door on right looks like an outside entry and the other goes to where? Must you keep that door? Can you access the area behind the door in another way? If the answer is YES then you might extend the cabinetry to house the refrigerator and lose the door. Not the best place for a fridge but better than freestanding on the dining area wall. You would ideally want a counter depth fridge. Take the new fridge built-in area all the way to the ceiling like the other cabinets and add storage above.
  • decoenthusiaste
    Lovely cabinetry but quite a dilemma! For me it is a "no-brainer" because I'd want the fridge in close proximity to the sink for ease of offloading food to be prepped. You have an enormous amount of unused space - a real shame you didn't get Houzzer help earlier. Put a slim counter depth fridge in the oven spot, moving the entire oven cabinet to the center of the wall opposite the sink. Then add an upper filler cabinet over the fridge. I see an outlet on the other wall, so perhaps it could handle an electric oven (or you could install gas.) Let the tall cabinet anchor the middle of the wall and flank it with base cabinets on either side. Turn your table parallel with the new cabinetry and perpendicular to the window. I think you'll appreciate the extra storage this arrangement provides and the location of the fridge.
    armoury district residence · More Info
    White paint · More Info
  • djwel117
    Here's a suggestion: how about putting a small cabinet with counter and the refrigerator on the wall opposite the stove, making it the same length. Turn the table so that it is going the long way across the back wall.
  • ibz1492
    leelee is right... if there is any way to close off the door immediately to the side of the oven position, put the refrig in there and build cabinet around and above it to get the added storage space.... all other options will cost a lot more money...
  • Laura
    Remodeling the whole kitchen is not an option. Same with puting an island in the middle of the room. I like islands but they are made for big kitchens. Mine is not that big. Besides tbat it creates the the lounge, pub eating idea, which i don't embrace for every day use. I bought this table not too long time ago because is extendable and I can save myself for headaches when I have friends over. The island would create a different problem: the light sockets in the ceiling are on diagonal, one for each area and they cannot be changed. Looking at the pictures the kitchen looks bigger than in reality :-). The door placed on the wall with cabinets is the pantry's door. The pantry doesn't have any other access door and cannot be made new one because we have a hitting source room next wall. On the other side is one of the bathrooms. If that room wouldn't have exist, then all the problems were gone.
    Adding curtains is part of the plan. For the rest of the rooms I will ask advise in advance. The mistake was that i didn't place the oven under the stove. Unfortunatelly is late for changing the setup.
  • ecallanan
    Love the cabinets here. Manufacturer and color, please?
    OnePlan
    in that case then Laura - I'd suggest you simply plug a slim fridge freezer into the wall under the beam by the door ! maybe add some floating shelves next to it too going into the corner ?! and make sure the table is at it's smallest setting most of the time!
  • Laura
    What if i would fit one smaller fridge under the oven and lift up a bit more the oven. Would that work? Could the heat residing from the oven impact the good functioning of the fridge?
  • Jennifer Kaplan
    Oven over fridge? Not so good lauraflucus.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    How about a few drawer fridges lined up like a console behind the table?
    A Kitchen That Works LLC
    Consider hiring a kitchen designer in your area to provide some hourly consulting. You can find many qualified designers here on Houzz.
    OnePlan
    Ok - last suggestion ... Take off the last 24" drawer cabinet - cut down the worktop and re edge and put a slim fridge freezer next to the window where the cabinet was - it's not ideal as it will block some of your light - and you will loose a valuable storage cabinet ! But could work if you could find a European style 24" freestanding fridge freezer ! Something like this should do .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smeg-FAB30LFC-Retro-Fridge-Freezer-in-Cream-/360823807034
    Thos. Baker
    If you remove the cabinets at the end (by the window) and put a slim fridge there, then it will be next to the heater, which could create problems for the refrigerator. Since the current layout can't be reconfigured or remodeled, how about this: instead of adding or extending cabinets to both of the bare walls around the kitchen table, extend them to create a housing for the fridge on the wall by the door only. It's not the most convenient location to have the refrigerator, but that should leave you plenty of room for your kitchen table.

The room looks large, but perhaps it's not as large as it appears in the photos. In any case, if you aren't able to remodel or alter the existing layout, you're limited on choices as to where you can put the fridge and how to finish the kitchen. Saratogaswizzlestick offered a great suggestion about drawer fridges lined up like a console. That would not only look unique, it would create additional counter space. I don't think there's any way around remodeling or purchasing additional cabinets, which, by the way are beautiful! I'd want more of them in the room!
    Christi for Thosbaker
    OnePlan
    It looks to me like there's two radiators - a double on the other wall and the old single that you mentioned in your post Christi - so might not be a problem if that one is redundant !
  • grobby
    Like the suggested plan to use a slim fridge in the space you have designated for the oven. Then put you wall oven under the counter to left of cooktop. I had the same situation, isn't ideal , but it worked. My problem was due to having a lot of windows, thus no upper cabinet space. You could use the base cabinet you remove to incorporate into an island.
    Thos. Baker
    Hi OnePlan. You're right! I didn't notice the radiator along the bottom of that wall -- only the one under the window. Hmmmm....guess we're back to using the back wall by the door or reorienting the existing layout. I'm stumped on this one!
    Christi at ThosBaker
    Laura thanked Thos. Baker
  • Laura
    First of all thank you all for being so supportive and coming with so many ideas.
    Let’s consider the following two options:
    1.If I place more furniture on the empty wall, were the access door is, what version of fridge should I choose: fully integrated (has a door looking like the rest of cabinetry) or partially integrated (the side panels looking like the cabinetry)? . Someone posted that I can use a wider cabinet to incorporate the fridge and slimmer in the rest.
    Now comes the questions: Could this be an option or is better to use the same size for all the cabinets? What height should they have, should they be in the same size as the existing ones?
    OnePlan suggested to plugin a slim fridge and put some shelves along the wall until they meet the corner. What kind of shelves would that be?
    What if I would integrate a flat screen TV in that setup, is that a bad idea?
    2.If I remove the radiator, extend the worktop and add more cabinets how far from the other radiator should I stop?
    OnePlan
    if you add some room dimensions that will help ! freestanding fridges need an amount of free air around them. integrated ones, like we have in Europe, are fine built in as they are designed that way - not sure of your location- but I did think you were in USA - so that sort of fridge will be harder to find there ! ikea do 'lack' wall shelves that work well and look neat and they do a plain white like your dining furniture ! the TV idea is a great one !! most people have a TV in their kitchen ! you can even get white tv's !!
    The RTA Store
    Perhaps adding a kitchen island with seating and building out the other side of the room with additional cabinets and incorporating the fridge in that area might help. Let us know if we can be of service to you. We offer free kitchen designs: http://www.thertastore.com/Kitchen_Designs_s/1418.htm
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    I'd go with the last idea right above mine. I think it may look and be the best option yet. Good luck!
  • Laura
    @OnePlan here are some of the measurements for the kitchen: length (the wall with the door) is 178 inches, width (the wall along the table with one window) is 158 inches. From the door down to the corner is 99inches. Form the beam down in the corner I have 83 inches. The hight is 100 inches. You are right about the shelves. They only have this model available both in gray and white (in 47" and 23"): http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40219940/#/90252376. I am Europe based. One plan can you point me out on some types of shelves do you have in mind?

@OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc. and @TheRTAStore.com I think kitchen island is not what I want in this kitchen, not because I don't like the idea of such a thing, just because I often have more than 4 people around the table and because adding a kitchen island would concentrate too much furniture in the first half of the kitchen living still 2 empty walls in the other half. Of course I can hang some paintings on them but I still think would look like something is missing. Besides that, the doors are also placed on the other crowded half and for me would look like is too much. I don't see islands as cozy setups for a nice family dinners. Maybe would solve the fridge problem, but brings another one: connecting the fridge to electricity. The floor is new, I cannot dig now for additional cables and I don't want cables laying on the floor either even if they can be covered in some special aluminium or plastic masks. Therefore I think a kitchen island is not a good idea for my kitchen, but can be in other setups.
    OnePlan
    hi - here's a link to the ikea shelves
    http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/00011013/

going to switch to iPad to show you a quick plan I did to help ! will post it separately !
    M B Wilson Interior Design
    I do not know what the measurements are, but it looks like the table should be rotated 90 degrees.
    Laura thanked M B Wilson Interior Design
  • Laura
    Thanks a lot! Is not that bad...is a cheap and practical version of hiding "the elephant". I will try to configure the space with some cabinetry later in the evening and get some cost estimations. I will upload some images.
    OnePlan
    This is for you MBWilson !
    Laura thanked OnePlan
  • shelleyuk
    I would go with OnePlans latest picture although that would entail refixing your lighting. I think the fridge will be fine there. Its not ideal in kitchen design terms but its close enough since the space isn't enormous.
    Laura thanked shelleyuk
  • Laura
    About the table: might not be possible to rotate. The ceiling is split in half by a beam, starting from the wall where the entrance door is, ending on the opposite wall where I have a window and some cabinets. The light sockets are equally distributed so each one can serve one area, but they are not in the middle of each half. One is more in the corner of the cooking zone and the other is more in the corner eating area. Over the table I have a pendant with 3 lights. All three pendants are mounted on a metallic board. If I try to rotate the pendant according to the new placement of the table, I have a very small tolerance on the left and right side of the metallic board. The risk is to not place the pendant over the table, which would look strange. Instead I can move the pendant 5-8 inches on the direction parallel with the beam. I attached a picture. I will try nevertheless.
    OnePlan
    That's why I didn't change the table position ! But sometimes people like to see the alternatives !
  • Laura
    I am coming back with the sketches I said I will publish with furniture instead of shelves. I tried to create some space for a TV but unfortunately I couldn't find the object in the library to place it on top of the cabinets. I have no idea if is too much furniture I added or if is something wrong in the setup I created, therefore I hope I will continue to get some advises from you housserz.
    OnePlan
    wow ✔️will give you loads of storage !! lovely !!
  • mrsmls
    Have you thought about removing the lower cabinet closest to the window and putting a slim fridge there? Just a thought.
  • mveasey
    Great job OnePlan!
    To be honest, I would probably incorporate two fridges, if budget allows, the regular European ones can be tiny, and you have the space, assuming you have a family...
  • mveasey
    Did anybody mention banquette style seating along the window wall,visually wrapping around from the new side cabinets?
    OnePlan
    Nice idea- but would need to find a new home for radiator ?! ?!?!!?!
  • Laura
    I am taking into consideration the small size fridges to incorporate under the new furniture, but that means deeper base cabinets. Deeper cabinets means to push the table more to the other side closer to the windows to create space for the chairs
    My concern in placing more cabinets on the wall with the door is to not overload the room with too much furniture.
  • Angie Bravo

I have an electric stove without cover in the sides either in the back because is made it to put close to the sink , but is in the middle of the kitchen I have no idea how to cover with or what to do and also we are in the process to install floor in the kitchen. Could you please give me some suggestions? I will appreciate it.

• tassyca

I realize this is an old post but in case you are still around... one small thing I would do to create a better definition in the space is continue the white tile to the ceiling and to the edge of the window instead of where it ends on the run to the left of the stove. Then I would install open shelves there in white with black supports that would reference the bits of black elsewhere. I would also paint the doors and door frames white in the space as the brown is not referenced anywhere else in the design.

• Laura

Thanks for your suggestions tassycca! I can't paint the doors. They would get distroyed...Or it could be possible but that would require a special paint and a professional to do that. The easiest would have been to buy them in white instead.

• km kane
    So Laura, what did you end up doing? Please share your design!!
  • Laura

I took some pictures with what changed in the meantime in the kitchen. I am sorry they are not good quality, is what I could do with the light coming through my windows. The carpet is not realy the one in the picture, is similar, it even better than that because it has shades matching the color of the walls and cabinets. Is still wrapped in plastic foil. I am glad I didn't buy yet those other cabinets on the door's wall (see my post from 18th Jan 2014) because one year later Ikea launched another line with not so wide cabinets. Now that I am plannig to work on the living room project I will need some more storage space (mostly for displaying items) for some of my mom's old sets of glasess that I realy love. I am plannig to buy some of those and then solve the "elefant" problem in the kitchen.

• kmkane123

Pretty! Where did you put the refrigerator?

• Laura
    You mean " the elephant " :))...I put it in the corner between the door's wall and windows wall behind the table. ..O yeah. ..I know. not very inspired Idea but that's where I ended up. I got used with it now sitting there as a punished object.
  • tassyca

Your welcome! The windows look very pretty and that little hanging light in the sink area is a cute touch. Nice and sparkly. I hear you about painting the doors... and with the rest of the space so pretty they can wait! Perhaps you can help me now that you have your oven in place. I'm considering installing a wall oven in an Ikea cabinet much like yours but with 3 large drawers below that I had hoped to use for additional pantry storage. In your experience, does it get too warm below the oven to store food? I was thinking canned goods and less heat sensitive food. Someone else posted elsewhere that they found the upper cabinet got a little warm but not their lower. The new oven is a Bosch so I would think the design is well insulated. Thanks for any light you can shed!

• Laura

I have a drawer under my Siemens oven and I keep plastic bags for packing food, aluminium foil, backing foil...stuff like this. On the other one above the oven I keep flour, rice, pasta and so on...The drawers get a bit of heat from the oven but not that much to be worried about them. I don't know if you can keep the cans in those drawers though. It may not be the best temperature for them. Indeed the lower one is not getting as warm as the one above, but is not significant difference. I guess it depends how big the drawers are, and usualy the warm air moves up not down. So maybe you can store the cans in the drawer beneath the oven but not in the one above. Next levels are not warm at all, or you get the same room temperature in them. Maybe the more professional lines of ovens are better insulated.

dezign interiors, llc

Doesn't look like you're "in a pickle" at all. The room looks fairly small. So, if you place the refrigerator to the right of that door, it will likely still be in your work triangle. However, you should anchor it with some kind of drop zone. A drop zone is just what it sounds like - somewhere where you can put groceries, etc., while loading the refrigerator. The table/chandelier may have to be moved towards the heater/window to make room, but I the table would be best by the natural light anyway. Cute so far. Good Luck!!!

• Laura
    I moved the light a bit more into the middle of the room and I am thinking I should have moved it even more to create more space. At the moment the "elephant" is in a corner and is in that cooking triangle. Drop zone could be an idea. Thanks for suggesting this to me.

In my new kitchen I was wondering if the fridge is ok where it is. The door beside the fridge is to my pantry. I wanted an island. There's 42 inches between the sink and island. And 32 inches between the stove and opposite cupboard.

That's what I have in my present home is 32 inches. I could put a sliding door in the pantry but I don't care for that feature.