Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christianrb

My House looks like a shoebox.

christianrb
10 years ago
I have just recently purchased my first home and for the past few months I have focused on renovating the interior. My house was built in the 50's and hasn't been updated since! I was wondering about curb appeal ideas. I don't have a large budget but i want the whole look to change. Unfortunately, I can't change the roof, and I prefer not to change the walkway.

I was thinking a small rail-less deck with a pergola covering the front door and large two windows and putting a window box under the other window to add symmetry. Maybe also a white picket fence at the street.

What do you think?

Comments (7)

• Toni Vaughn
    10 years ago
    I think you both have grand ideas! Congratulations on your first home.
  • PRO
    Antique Building Materials, Inc.
    10 years ago
    How about shutters that are hinged to the top of the window casing and can be pulled out from the bottom. I refer to the as " Florida" shutters, but don't know if that is correct. They may be louvered (favored) or 3-6 planks for a near DIY project step out and try a tad brighter color paint. You can always re- paint. Good luck, Fletcher
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like your ideas a lot and respect the budget.

I think I would just paint the entire house white. Paint your front door a color you love. In this pix, the front door and the adirondacks painted the same color is so great. White window box under the two windows with seasonal plants will add a good touch.

Put on your deck and pergola.

Even though this house is bigger than yours, the siding is similar and so is the yard. Imagine your house by removing the second floor on this one.

You have that tree in front. You could landscape around it and make it the focal point of your yard.
    Kenwood Cottage · More Info
  • Shredder
    10 years ago
    I absolutely LOVE your house! Where are you located? I would paint the house white, the door red and the trim charcoal grey. I would add shutters to the windows on the right side of the home - with the border charcoal and the slats white. I would add the railing and perhaps red brick steps. I would create 2 flower beds in the front and plant lots of colorful flowers. I would edge the grass so it looks neat and manicured. I like the idea of pruning the tree and creating a bed around it so it is the focal point of your front yard. Good luck to you and many happy years in your home.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Congratulations- I'd be thrilled to have an original 50's home!
    I would change the trim color from green to black, and paint the door a pop color like red (get a full lite storm if one is needed). I'd also pave the walkway in gray pebblestone.
    I'm not sure the pergola is right for this house; I could see a gabled entrance, but that's not a small budget. I like the shutters idea mentioned above. It would give you an opportunity to add color, too.
    I could also see a larger patio with a modern, open horizontal slat fence.
  • A Berryman
    4 years ago