Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_palumbo

To Break or Not to Break...carpet runner on stairs at landing

Nicole Palumbo
10 years ago
We are installing runners on our stairs and plan to continue the runner throughout the upstairs hallway/landing. I want to do a break at the top, but the two separate companies have suggested that this will be a tripping hazard and that to binding with wear out faster at the landing as your feet will constantly be hitting there.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    I am not perfectly clear about your question, but I can say that changes on stairs are tripping hazards.
    Nicole Palumbo thanked HERE Design and Architecture
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    If the break can have a cap wrapping over the stair riser, it might be okay. What material were you thinking of for the landing?
    Nicole Palumbo thanked LB Interiors
  • Nicole Palumbo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry if I was unclear. My idea is to stop the runner at the top step so that the tread and part of the floor are visible at the very top of the stairs. I then want to "carpet" the upstairs hallway using the same carpet at the runner, using a 3-4" border of flooring. Closer to an area rug in appearance as I do not like wall-to-wall.

Our carpet company thinks that we should not do this, and continue the runner up and over the top tread. Hope this makes sense. We have a very dark stain in the hardwood floors and I want to show them off a bit, hence the break at the top of the stairs.

I am not a carpet person, I prefer area rugs, but our stairs are steep and slick, especially when wearing socks.
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    I would take the carpet company's recommendations very seriously. To my best understanding of the gap idea you describe, it sounds both unattractive and unsafe. You will see adequate amounts of the floor on the sides regardless. Safety on stairs must always trump appearance.

For a more staircase/less carpeted look, you may be able to do an individual carpet piece on each tread (obviously VERY securely adhered). If you use a very flat weave carpet in a tone similar to the dark stained wood, the carpet will sink away from sight and you will focus more visually on the wooden structure of the stairs.
    Nicole Palumbo thanked qam999
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    This is the only way that I have seen it done. There is a wooden bullnose piece at the top of the stairs which breaks the runner and the carpet.

[houzz=
    Staircases featuring runners and Zoroufy stair rods · More Info
    ]
    Nicole Palumbo thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • Nicole Palumbo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, Deborah. Exactly. I would just keep the same carpet as the runner and not go wall-to-wall in the hallway.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    That's what I would do as well. I would not like for it to continue. I did find one picture where it did that on Houzz and it was not as attractive.
    Nicole Palumbo thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    There is nothing wrong with stopping the carpet just below the landing under the lip of platform.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I suggest having a larger piece of the runner carpet made into an area rug for the landing or hall upstairs. I would not lay carpet permanently in the upstairs hall. That area will wear out first.
  • Missy Bee
    8 years ago
    The runner was a little too narrow for what I wanted so we used the same Karastan carpet for runner and hallway. This picture shows the landing but the same was done at the top of the stairs as it is in the step below the landing--there is a bull nose and the runner stops with the top tread. Another option....
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    7 years ago

Hi, So you didn't carpet the hallway upstairs. I think you will be happy that you didn't. Heavily trafficked areas show so much wear and also mostly in the center.