Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erica_garza

Modern landscaping ideas needed!

Erica Garza
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We moved into our new home 2 months ago and have started on the landscaping project which , as you will see from the photos, it BADLY needs. :) Please know that the little plantings you see now are GONE along with the rotted lumber that made the "flower beds". This poor house has gone thru a big transformation already. You couldn't see the FRONT of the house AT ALL prior to all the shrubs being taken out.

We are looking for a very clean, low maintenance type of yard. The grass has grown in some more, however we have some ideas of what we KNOW we want. We just need someone with a better eye to help us pull the rest together. The plan is to DIY the boring gray walkway with a faux wood cement look pulled off by paints.

We really love tall modern planters in copper/black/dark gray, but not entirely sure what sizes to get nor how to place them. We just can't seem to agree on that aspect :( We DO agree on using black round pebbles to line the entire garden bed around the 3 windows.

- Corner window "ground space" allows for bigger pots, but how many should be place in total? Should they all be the same size/type?
- What should we place around the main door to bring some life to the porch?
- The area under the staircase window will become a seating area. We are thinking black adirondack chairs...thoughts?

Help is appreciated! can't wait to see what ya'll come up with. I"ll post up some images of things that have caught our eye.

Comments (21)

• Erica Garza
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And a few more images of things that have caught our eye...
  • natejurk
    10 years ago
    Could you take another picture of the house from the right to get a full look around the door? What part of the country are you in?
  • Erica Garza
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's a photo to show the side of the house. We're in Tx. So we need drought resistant/heat thriving plants. The front of the house gets good indirect light and it faces northeast. This can't be something that is going to require a green thumb because that , I definitely DON"T have ;) That's why these plantings appeal to me the most.
  • Erica Garza
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    anyone have any recommendations???
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    Erica, I love those tall black planters too, but are you thinking of putting them on each side of the door? Is there enough room there? Maybe you could do one on the right hand side or something???
    How many feet width wise do you have from the house to the sidewalk in the front? AND do you have kids?
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    It looks so barren now. You have some attractive windows, The pale yellow siding could use a deeper color to accent the structure...You need some raised planters and railing to define the entry. I would also use a lot of landscape lighting.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    I would look at yuccas, cactus, pencil hollys for starters..................
    if you want a drought tolerant ground cover for color anywhere, check out purple lantana. There are other lantanas as well in different colors. Very easy to grow but can be invasive.

Another thing if you have room for it would be to make a small pergola type structure over the doorway/entrance and having a climbing flowering vine that is heat tolerant like bougainvillea............
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    10 years ago
    have you considered an edible garden in the front yard. it's not only beautiful but you get fresh, organic produce when you step outside.
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    10 years ago
    Quick comment on the gray pebbles. Though it will look great at first do realize that it will take maintenance to blow leaves and dust out of it as the seasons pass.
  • Erica Garza
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks to all for the comments :

mpoulsom - I agree..we could only place something to the right of the front door given the space. I was thinking a tall planter but nothing too wide. Maybe even a bullet planter on a stand? Yes, we do have a small boy as well :)

Sustainable Dwellings - Oh you have no idea. Check out the BEFORE photo of this house. The previous owners almost ran it into the ground!!! :( It was flipped and we purchased it knowing we can turn this into the most beautiful house on the block..pending the RIGHT choices are made along the way ;) I agree..I think a deeper color on the siding would help, however we are ok with the current color for now. We want to focus on adding the right landscaping details to bring some life and curb appeal. I was thinking of adding black shutters to the windows above the garage and upstairs bedroom (the 3 windows downstairs is where our kitchen is). Lighting is also something we want to incorporate. I want to add a 2nd light fixture to the right of the door. And where should we put the house numbers???

Redberm - We've thought about that and purchased a leaf blower already to take care of that :)

Lori - That sounds great, but I don't have a green thumb lol. So I lean more towards cactus and easy to take care of plants this time around.

Here's a scary photo of the house before we purchased..its come a long way already.
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Erica, see what your home would look like with shutters installed before the actual installation using our Shutter Snapshot application on our website. This will give you an idea as to whether or not you would want to install them. On some windows you may not have room to add shutters, but the photo rendering should give you an idea. Since the home did have shutters on previously, we would recommend properly, fitted shutters.

http://www.timberlane.com/resource-center/shutter-snapshot/
  • Erica Garza
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Timberlane - great app, I"ll try it out. As you can see from the before photo the home did have shutters once. I think in the right color they'll look great..BUT since we are going with a modern look I"m not sure they'll end up making the final cut. We'll see once we have the landscaping coming along
  • Sophie Barber
    10 years ago
    Beautiful house! I can't help much with the plants because not only do I not have a green thumb, I am known in my family as "the plant assassin"... But can't wait to see what you'll do with it!
  • Erica Garza
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    HAHA Sophie...that's another way to put it. I call it the brown thumb. Let me put it this way. I"ve killed a fern. Who does that?!
  • Sophie Barber
    10 years ago
    I managed to kill my son's school project where he grew grass in a Styrofoam cup. Those things are unkillable!
  • Erica Garza
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Styrofoam death for the win! LOL

Ok here are some images of local plants
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    10 years ago
    Oh, ouch ... it pains us to hear shutters excluded because they're not "modern". hee hee. We like to think it's like saying oh, don't add pearl earrings, they're so old. Shutters can have a place on modern homes, it's all about the style, design, and even the installation. We've worked with some amazing architects and have developed everything from sliding shutters to split openings, even "privacy walls" for outdoor spaces. (Of course we'd LOVE to show you those pics, but are clients are rather private) Shutters can work however you imagine!
  • PRO
    Big Rock Landscaping
    2 years ago

Modern landscape design is one of our team’s favorites to create and install. You have so many options for low-maintenance plants, especially in your area. For ground cover we like Hens & Chicks—eye-catching and simple. We also like yucca and cacti—both species have tons of variety and interesting shapes and textures. Ornamental grasses add height and texture—Zebra grass makes a statement while keeping in line with modern landscaping. Pink Muhly adds texture and color and is drought tolerant—could be interesting under your front windows! If you are really wanting those tall, modern planters, try using a drip water system and keep it well mulched on top to help the plant retain water during the hot months. Adding accent walls that are fine plaster or steel to create modern lines. Adding taller shrubs as well can create a more modern look. Check out this home, and this one for more modern landscaping ideas!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Big Rock this post is 8 years old!!

• Ken
    2 years ago

Hi. I’m Curious, what did you end up doing so far? (no judgement- just curious)