Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shal1217

Window Treatment for Massive Family Room Window

shal1217
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
My husband and I are currently looking for ideas regarding window treatments for our large family room window (picture shown below is of a model home, the window will be the same). We want the flexibility to leave it open but also want to have some privacy when necessary.

The cathedral ceiling is 12ft high. The model home used some curtains but they're just decorative and I'm not sure if it's the most practical solution. I'm open to hearing what you guys would suggest doing. :-) Thanks!

Comments (14)

• shal1217
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Houssaon, I never really considered roller shades but it does look nice and sleek in the pictures you provided. I'll look into those and perhaps some decorative pannels to accentuate the height.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Plantation shutters would also look nice and give you light control, privacy and some improvement on your heating/cooling costs.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    Check out the Shade Store................they have some pretty ideas for shades, blinds, etc.
    And yes, I agree with south east, plantation shutters would be lovely with that style of house!
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    10 years ago
    The room in the picture looks like it has a lot of light/glare coming in. Solar shades will definitely help control that. I'd also hang some very full decorative panels on the ends for color, and to help with sound/ control.
  • shal1217
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks South East. Although I like plantation shutters I don't really want something that will be "permanently" obstructing my view (the slats are there even when open) which is why I'm leaning against it.

mpoulsom - Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.

JMittman - I agree, the room is very bright. Our house won't be facing the same direction so I don't believe it'll be as bright and glary but I'll definitely look into solar shades. Thanks!
  • PRO
    DRTC Studio
    10 years ago
    I like the way the window treatments in the model home seem to add to the overall ambiance in a subtle way. They aren't the first thing you notice but they add a finished feeling. I would go for a similar kind of look.

Keowee · More Info

We did it at this home and and achieved the goal of quiet elegance. With a large expanse of a window you will need several widths on each side so its best to choose a subtle color so as not to draw unnecessary attention.

Hope this helps!
    -Dan @DRTCstudio
  • shal1217
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! I was thinking of doing some solar shades and then adding some decorative panels on either side like the model home?

Thoughts?
  • PRO
    ResCom Designs
    10 years ago
    Consider using a decorative roller and thus maybe eliminating the panels. You can also look at a simple solar roller and have it roll into a Cornice box which will then provide the beauty for the room. This will work well if you want a clean line.
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    Do the panels and add Silhouette shades. They are far more elegant than roller shades and worth every penny! You can do 4 / and either open all the way, tilt for semi privacy and letting some light in or totally closed.
  • shal1217
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas guys! There are definitely many options to consider.
  • nechamaj
    10 years ago
    At an open house recently all the windows in the house had the same treatment: from the top of the window hangs a continuous roller shade, similar to the old institutional hand towels, and the shade is controlled by a pull chain. The shade has alternating sheer and opaque stripes. For privacy and prevent sunlight, you line up the opaque stripes and for light, you line up the sheer striped.
    Familiar to anyone?
    shal1217 thanked nechamaj
  • PRO
    Solar-screen-shades.com
    10 years ago
    Check out the new style shade called Vision Shades. The fabric called Milan would look really sharp here. You can them at http://www.solar-screen-shades.com
    shal1217 thanked Solar-screen-shades.com
  • shal1217
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion - not sure how I feel about the stripes though. I wanted to stay away from blinds/shutters/etc to avoid that look.

We went to a window covering store over the weekend and I think we're going to go with some solar shades in white (to match the trim of the window) and then add decorative panels like they did in the picture I posted. They won't be usable since I don't plan on putting the rod across but they'll soften up the look of the great room and add some flair.

Now onto figuring out what to do with the other 1827364 windows in this house!