Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmont7

big open space needs color

Kerri Montgomery
10 years ago
Recently, we painted our entire house, BM Revere Pewter. We were hoping it would update our space despite the outdated wood color. Did we succeed or no? (we don't have the time and can't afford to paint the trim white) I need suggestions on 1) rugs-do I buy the same rugs for all three areas or just coordinating rugs. 2) curtains-those are double curtain rods, so I can add some panels with color over the white linen. Question is, what color? 3) Dining room table. What do I do with it to make it prettier? 4) Wall design around tv and above sofa. 5) Pillows-I want to throw some ikat and chevron in there, but not sure how to tie it in with the rugs and curtains. 6) My comfortable but oh so ugly little brown chair in the corner-reupholster or buy a new one? ---I'm a big fan or Pottery Barn, Ballard Design, Pier One, etc... traditional/transitional/eclectic... and, we have two small children! Thank you!!!

Comments (34)

• Kerri Montgomery
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    pics of the other side (living room)
  • Kerri Montgomery
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh and the Lighting! The light fixtures are NOT my style. Suggestions are more than welcome!
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    10 years ago
    Agree about the trim..it should be first on your list. Regarding the dining room table, paint the legs and base (just under the top) the color of your dark chairs or the hutch. Also a note for next time, noticed the drapes are too short. They should always almost or just touch the floor. The mirror over the sofa would maybe work vertically over the chest in the lower 4th picture. Look for large items for your walls create grouping by laying them out on the floor. For color, look for your rugs first..with patterns & color they do not need to be the same, but should compliment each other.
    Kerri Montgomery thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    HI, nice rooms, I like a lot of your stuff. However, I would have a bigger mirror over the couch and I would take down the sign over the doorway. I think the little desk in the corner looks cluttered what with all the stuff on it and then you have the standard lamp and three things on the wall next to the tv. How about a nice tall indoor plant next to the tv and ditch the wall art? I would prioritize painting the wood trim.
    Kerri Montgomery thanked 2dogssashatess
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think the cow prints are adorable but would group them above the sofa (it looks like you have another one above the console in the next room). Then, put the mirror above the console. I agree to paint the bottom/legs of your dining table table the color of your hutch. For your entry rug, I'd just slide over the rug from the living room and center in the "foyer" floor. I don't think chevron/ikat pattern pillows will look right with your country/traditional home and furnishings. But, do agree to switch out the matching pillows with an updated pillows that are not matchy matchy. The living room rug doesn't need to match the dining room rug, but complement each other.
    Kerri Montgomery thanked Darzy
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    I think a rusty/crimson red for your curtain panels would look nice. Like the color of the console table in the family room.
    Dupioni Silk Pinch Pleat Luxury Curtain Panel, Crimson · More Info
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    I agree that it's a huge job painting all that trim so if I could only do one thing, it would be to paint the crown molding to match the ceiling. The rest of the woodwork is lovely and looks like it's in good condition so I wouldn't paint it.
    Kerri Montgomery thanked Dar Eckert
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    I think your home is beautiful. I'd try a couple of bold colored rugs, especially in the dining room, go with the colors in the pictures. I think the blue might look better in the room with the tan couch.
    Kerri Montgomery thanked halfpint2
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    There is one thing that stands out to me in these rooms...............there is a lot of black! Did you consider painting the trim black instead of white? Or instead of black, a darker shade of gray?
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    PS: I love your cow pictures!! I think you need a milk bucket in the corner where the plant is!
    Kerri Montgomery thanked halfpint2
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    [houzz=
    East Lakeview Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Parade of Homes - Greenshores Lake Austin 2 · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Foyer · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Catherine Boardman · More Info
    ]
    Kerri Montgomery thanked mpoulsom
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    For your rugs…Revere Pewter has some green/gray going on, IMO. I think you should do all the rugs the same. Incorporate the stained trim and the wall color using sisal and a border. But, definitely, all rugs the same.
    Exclusive Coral Chenille Border Sisal Rug:4 Colors · More Info
    Kerri Montgomery thanked JudyG Designs
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Jumping in without reading the other comments (for the moment). The thing that jumps out at me is that the first thing guests see as they walk in the front door is the tv. Not the prettiest thing to look at!

Sort of think tv should go into the family room, or on to the wall where the sofa is currently. But if it works best for you where it is, then in the Ballard Design catalog (I am 90% sure) there is a slim armoire that is made to look like a vintage piece to hold new flat screen tv.

Photos of armoires (much more striking to see as you enter the door):
    Sunbury Mantel with Overmantel · More Info
    Kerri Montgomery thanked pcmom1
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    Please don't paint your beautiful wood. Trends change and once it's painted there really is no turning back for anyone who lives in your home in the future. Remember, harvest gold was also very popular once...lol I also think that the cold grey is fighting with the warm wood floors and trim. I know everyone is painting their rooms grey, but to me it is not one size fits all. . Just my honest opinion. Yes, bring some bold color into this room with a colorful rug. The ones there now are very ho-hum. I hope that I didn't step out of bounds with my comments.
    Kerri Montgomery thanked Marilyn Wilkie
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Hi there. Thanks for inviting us over - you have presented a challenge that many posters inquire about - how to deal with lots of oak finished clear. Your revere pewter greige is a wonderful neutral but it does have the unfortunate cool undertone that can make the high yellow or orange of natural oak seem even more bright. There are several options and painting the trim is only one of them - in a heritage home (and yours seems to have some features of a home with lovely character) painting trim may not be the most desireable result. Further, if you, like many others, would need to enlist the aid of your spouse / you have little children and better things to do with your time and money allow me to suggest some things to help you live with your wood trim better.

One option is to add a layer of polyshades to all the wood to just tone it down / deepen the tone. Then the wood trim will still coordinate with your existing floor and kitchen cabinet tones, but the crown, door trim and doors, and eventually the baseboards can be a deeper shade. For your decor and style, I suggest the mission oak polyshades tone. Look here to understand how this works/ this can be done in one coat..
    http://www.minwax.com/expert-wood-tips/change-stain-color-with-polyshades/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2014_Text_Ads

That will instantly tie everything together better and you will love it but it is still a project you should tackle one room at a time! If you won't adjust the trim and doors then my first suggestion would typically be a different paint color because this one makes the trim feel even more orange. Since you just painted that and I think it really suits what you want, let me make some other suggestions about how to use color in your rooms with rugs and drapery and pillows. You can always start there and circle back to the trim as budget / time permits.

I would integrate some more rust tones in your fabrics. The more you repeat tones of rust, orange-brown, the more the trim relates to the room decor - it is why the dining room looks so great because the bovine art with the rust tones in it pulls all the wood tones together. I will be back with some fabric/ textile / rug suggestions to do this with what you now have - drapery fabric, perhaps a new rug for the living room and so forth.

ps i am in socal now but am a daughter of the twin territories (literally - one branch from each side!!). . a little mirror shot made me want to give a shout out to my home state.
    Kerri Montgomery thanked libradesigneye
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Believe in using what I have whenever possible. Try the mirror you have over the sofa in the spot where the round mirror is (hung vertically). Then take the round mirror and place it over the sofa with the long sign that is over the door way placed under it.

Just took another look. Think Darzy's idea of grouping the cow pictures over the sofa would look better. That area would come more the life with art.
    Kerri Montgomery thanked pcmom1
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Lovely spaces - - Just need some color, pattern and texture to bring the rooms together! All of this can be done one project/item at a time and there is no rush. It helps to have a plan of action going forward . . .

First, lower your chandelier to no higher than 36". You want it lowered into the picture and if it is too high, the light doesn't give you a nice ambience for dining.

Your cows are a hoot and fantastic! You could add to their statement and interest in this area by wallpapering the wall they are on - a feature wall. The patterns below would work with your rug and add some pattern to the space.

Drapery panels could be a color that is in your area rug and have a lot of texture. Cream, buff, for example.

The woodwork is in super condition and you have done a good job of pulling the color of the wood into your chairs and paintings in the dining room. There is no need to mess with the woodwork. I do agree with libradesigneye, that the color of the walls is like the complimentary color of the woodwork and makes it look oranger than it probably is. If you do not care for the combination, you will have to change to another color family to reduce the intensity of the orange in the woodwork.

You could think about changing the white plates in the hutch for something not-so-white. They are too emphatic/strong against the black back of the hutch. They are demanding all of the attention now and you might what the artwork to get the focus. Try picking up the colors in the artwork/rug to make the space more cohesive. Find some different shapes for the shelves - pitchers, gravy boats, oval platters, mugs, etc. Also, add pieces to the top of the hutch - keeping the top line of the arrangement interesting.

The medallion and artwork on the right of the hutch is too high. The top of the medallion should be as high as the artwork on the left.
    Kerri Montgomery thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    My first suggestion as focus offers a choice of curtains for the two rooms that is in a print that tells your color story - ties the neutrals to the orange and blue would make the rooms feel instantly finished. then you can use other solids and textural fabrics to make other adjustments. I found two fabrics that are not exhorbitant that would be amazing options for curtain panels that you could sew yourself. Or you may want to go looking as premade curtains now abound. I looked at a few places but didn't see anything great right off.

My favorite is this modern suzani based floral - this colorway has your orange, chocolate and blue with a beautiful pattern. It is on sale and not as heavy a fabric as you might think in person - it just has great texture printed on. You may have seen pillows in this as it has become popular. http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/orange/santa+marie+adobe.do
    That would be a strong step for you, but you might be happily surprised at what it brought to the room. Here's another (if the background gold tan works okay with your upholstery tans) http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/gold/brizio+vintage.do
    The first is a really fresh transitional take while the second is a little more traditional. They both add more of the persimmon / orange tones that will help bring more harmony with your wood (which you will have on the floor and in the kitchen no matter what you do with trim) and they both pick up on your neutrals - the first on the linen and chocolate and the second has some tones that will resonate with your tan upholstery on the gray in the walls. . . but the first also echoes your blues which could be great.

I think I would treat the pewter wall tone like the neutral it really is and not bring in more gray. Gray is going to make the orange jump out as orange where your tans and chocolates help it just feel really warm and part of the family. It can still be really pretty and add energy in russets and ambers. Because your upholstery is neutral / tan, I'm going to suggest you may want to tea dye your sheers to go with whatever you pick out for on top. Just taking the white edge off will do it.

I would keep the chair and just recover it - here's a kind of upholstery fabric with a teflon to add a little warmth and keep that spectrum of color going . . . http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/rust/glowing+-+robert+allen+fabrics+pomegranate.do
  • Kerri Montgomery
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @libradesigneye-Oh my, thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. I have never heard of polyshades, so I will look into that. However, it might be easier to paint the walls a different color. I have been wanting to drive up to Tulsa and check out Calico Corners for some time now. Are you a Sooner, a Cowboy or just an Okie? ;) That OSU clock is of sentimental value to us. It belonged to my husband's grandfather, so I'm eventually going to get some nicely framed photos to accompany it.
  • Kerri Montgomery
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Sandy G- yes, I do see how the color of the walls is making it more orange. I thought about SW Accessible Beige at one point. Would that help tone down the orange wood? I see what you are saying about the plates. Will change those out. And will lower the medallion. If I paint the legs of the table black, will there be too much black in the room?
  • Kerri Montgomery
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Marilyn Wilkie-my husband says if we just leave the wood color alone, it will eventually come back in style. Ha! Men! lol :)
  • Kerri Montgomery
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @pcmom1-yes, that dang tv is not very pretty. My "den" or back living area has a fireplace and a tiny wall not large enough for my husband's excessive television. The tv console beneath is new, but does have shelving units that surround the tv. I didn't buy all that, bc I was fearful it would overpower the room. What do you think?
  • Kerri Montgomery
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Sandy G- I LOVE the idea of wallpapering for an accent wall. I have always wanted to do that, but just didn't know where. Would grasscloth be something I could consider?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Absolutely think about grasscloth - especially one with plenty of texture. Use a paper that has the color of your woodwork in it to tie it in and make that honey color part of the overall design. Woodwork will no longer will be so dominate. Also, find a grasscloth that is mid-dark to make a statement with no gray or very little gray in it. In the example on the right, there is black woven in - and black always adds depth to a space.

Grasscloth would also be a logical backdrop for your artwork.

If you are up for repainting, choose a color from the grasscloth. Your rug might still work - a gray-blue would be a pretty, soft accent color and the rug would work because of the camel color in the border. Just have to try it.

Don't need to paint table legs & apron but you could reupholster the seats of the captain's chairs in something fun.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Re: the LR, the whole space looks unfinished so you might think about adding the bookcases to the TV case. You just have to balance the black wall unit throughout the room. For example, remove the desk/chair to the wall between the kitchen, 2nd LR , under the clock{?}. The scale is too small for the corner. Also remove the taupe recliner - more about this window niche' later.

Move your antique chair over to the TV unit, angled toward the sofa.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    Over the sofa, hang a landscape- oriented piece of colorful art that uses the colors
    throughout the space. It should have a large dark frame.

Place a large bushy floor plant where the desk was + a torchiere lamp to light the upper areas of the room - use a low wattage bulb though.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Here are some light fixtures - you could also go black but I found these wonderful things in burnished bronze and then picked out something fun for the foyer that tied together . .
    Dining room love - http://www.lightingdirect.com/capital-lighting-3925-468-loft-5-light-chandelier-with-fabric-shades/p1171924
    This in the living room - I did note that you have light wells so taller fixtures can work - if you hang this with the fixture starting at the ceiling level, the bottom would be at 6' 3" - I would probably buy the two light and make sure I had it on a dimmer switch - but this shows up in your finish first. http://www.lightingdirect.com/capital-lighting-9046-462-1-light-foyer-fixture/p1172213

And to split them over the door - I thought of something different, something rustic - not from the same designer and maybe something that evoked craftsman . . . your home has decidedly craftsman elements but original ones . . . (another reason for the mission oak polyshades) this is likely too tall but you get the concept http://www.lightingdirect.com/vaxcel-lighting-ga-odd090-transitional-single-light-up-lighting-outdoor-pendant-from-the-glasgow-collection/p917469 there are some very nice semi-flush drums from the same maker but it adds up and the middle helps break it up.

I like the black elements in your decor . . works well and ties it together. . .
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    I like the desk in the corner because I know how functional they really are in a space like this and I think the wood helps bring / spread the wood tones around . . . love the start on styling. Painting again is a big commitment (trim doesn't require quite so much prep of the whole space!) If you go there here are some colors to test - warmer tan than accessible is going to do the most for your wood tones. If I did grasscloth (and it is wonderful but really a job for a pro) I might select your sofa wall - the art wall holds its own already! In your home, I would think of grasscloth in the next / family room space instead, on all / 3 walls - not take it into the kitchen area . . . it is best when continuous imho.

Test sw macadamia http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6142-macadamia/ its component shade a bit lighter is sw softer tan http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6141-softer-tan/ - or for the cozier family room, you might like the next shade down - sw basket beige . . .or sw crewel tan might be right - these have a bit warmer undertone than accessible. You might as well go to a sw and pull every little tan that even comes close to accessible and macadamia and take them home to look at them on the sofa - a tan needs to work with the tan of your upholstery and then look at them next to the trim . . when they resonate trust your eye - narrow to 2 or 3, then like all paint recommendations online, test test test . . . if you take these color numbers HD will make the little sample for you and you can put them each on a foamposterboard to move around the house - look next to trim, cabinets, upholstery - in morning light, in evening light .

ps Cowboys all the way . . be true to your school! and (grandparents)

Finally - you have a good eye. Trust it. Study craftsman and arts and crafts and classic rustic shaker elements to find what you love . . . build on that when you do pick out an inspiration fabric - you already have inspiration art for this room - they are fabulous. Use them as your color palette and the blue as the counterpoint you only need 10" of. . . your dining room needs nothing (except a light fixture). Your living space is next and I trust it will be fabulous.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Rugs. These examples are from < rugs direct.com >.

The rug under the trunk should match the one by the front door and both be substantial in size since you have a lot of exposed floor. This would cozy up the space. The rugs should have a blue from your DR rug, black/dk. brown, and a color from your artwork that replaces the mirror over the sofa.

Since you are on a budget, it might help for you to list priorities. Also, realize that interior design is an on-going process - homes are organic and change as your life changes and needs/wants/taste that influence/change your home pop up all the time. So, don't agonize over every single choice you will be making - and there will be many. Go with your gut, as someone said, and enjoy the ride! This "slowly accumulated" design scenario helps you from getting too "matchy-poo", with fewer impulse buys. Your home is lovely as it is, so take your time. Above, you have lots of ideas of things you can try without spending a lot of money and yet feel like you are making progress.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    On the wall where the taupe recliner was, at the end of the sofa, you could put a chest of drawers or a slim bookcase. This could be another piece from the TV unit manuf., a rescue from the thrift shop, painted black or a color, or a found piece in your home. That is the amount of space you have there and you want it to feel attended to and filled.

The brown recliner/side table should be more centered on the window and squared up with the sofa. Side table on the other side. Maybe a little adjusting would be necessary but adding a case piece by the window would add weight to that side of the room and help to balance the TV wall. Drapery panels would help with balance and they should go corner to corner - in the DR too..

The painting of the field is by VanGogh [ "Wheat Field With Lark"] and you could find a small version of another of his paintings to hang over a chest or stand on a bookcase shelf. And/or, print out this quote from him, simple font, frame it 6"x8", or so, and hang it over the chest or set it on the shelf. "I dream of painting and then I paint my dream." Vincent VanGogh. This is just an illustration of one of many choices for your artwork.
  • Kerri Montgomery
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Okay, I've moved some things around. Pics to come shortly. Thank you for the paint color and grasscloth suggestions. I happen to have a wonderful, helpful, mother who loves to paint and is really good at wallpapering. ;) LOVE the Wheat Field with Lark! That will be my next purchase. Should it be the same size as the mirror or bigger? (sofa is approx. 88" and mirror is 44") I will put the mirror above my red Hooker cabinet and my other sweet heifers above the fireplace. :) Also love the idea of bookshelf/cabinet by the sofa and window. That will help balance the bold tv area. I'm going to Tulsa in the next week and will be visiting Calico Corners for fabric ideas on curtains/pillows/chair cushions. (and will take my final paint selection with me) So, to be continued... thank you for your input and of course if you have any more suggestions or comments, I will gladly accept them. :) Also, thank you for the encouragement to take my time and go with my gut. My late Aunt Nancy, who was very gifted in home decorating, always told me the same thing. It takes time to accumulate special, unique pieces that I love and will help transform my spaces. And, paint is cheap and can transform a room! I have many special memories with her spending entire weekends at my mothers house, rearranging furniture and shopping at antique malls. Wish she was here to help me again, but her memory lives on as I make my house a home. Thank you all interceding for my Aunt Nancy!!!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Well good. I'm glad that Houzz has given you some direction! It can be overwhelming to make spaces work for a family. I can relate to your Aunt Nancy, and you can bet that she had just as much fun as you and the rest of your family did!

The mirror over your sofa is a nice size. The VanGogh is going to be taller than your mirror if it is 44" long - and that is ok. You can go to < all posters.com > and check out the dimensions.

Calico Corners is a rich resource - full if ideas for you!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I think adding the shelves to the tv will help greatly. Maybe you can do that and post us a picture.
Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!