Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutchlove

Know what Sherwin Will color matches Ben Moores White Dove?

dutchlove
10 years ago
Ordering shutters online and the company can use Sherwin Williams paint. I have Benjamin Moore White Dove on my window trim. If anyone can tell me what color of SW would match, or is closest to, I'd appreciate it!

Comments (46)

• sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    take a sample to them, they can match it up.
  • dutchlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I would if I could, but that isn't an option for me.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The SW "chip-it" program matched these two, but I'm sure there is a closer match.
    White Dove OC-17 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    Paint Color SW 7005 Pure White from Sherwin-Williams · More Info
    dutchlove thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Stacey at Dohiy.com
    10 years ago
    You don't have to take them a sample -- they will have a color like that in their system.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Call a local SW store tomorrow and ask if they can match BM White Dove. I bet they can like Stacey said! :)
  • dutchlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I know they can match it exactly. Problem is, I need to use an established universal Sherwin Williiams color for this online company. They won't be able to take paint mix codes.
  • User
    10 years ago
    SW may have a cross reference that they can check and find the closest match.
  • Melissa E
    10 years ago
    The problem with SW matching Benjamin Moore colors is they do not have the same colorants. For example there is no gray colorant. When you are talking about matching off whites, it is going to be very hard to get a true match......they should be able to make something close, but it won't be exact.
  • kweidow
    9 years ago
    In another blog, someone who works at SW claimed SW Westhighland White in an extra white base is a very good match. I hope that helps!
  • dana_noon
    9 years ago
    Alabaster is suppose to be as close as possible
  • Amal Kapen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sherwin Williams Match with Benjamin Moore White Dove.

SW 7008 Alabaster is close but SW 7012 Creamy works too. Alabaster seems to have a cooler undertone while Creamy is more of a yellow undertone like white dove (just a hair more creamy). FYI, The standard colors will never match exactly, go for the right tone... Good luck!

• wehrle22
    8 years ago

Did you ever find a close match for White Dove BM to a Sherwin Williams product?

• daisydb
    8 years ago

We went through this same dilemma--matching a SW color to BM White Dove...we came up with SW "Greek Villa" as closest match. We sure learned our whites after that exercise!

• tammra2
    8 years ago

Bottom line SW color will not be a match to BM. It will always have a different yellow to it . If you like BM colors stay with it. Same for SW. I went thru so much time money. Effort on color matching on whites. Stay with the one you like BM or SW on whites

• aleksbates
    8 years ago

I heard Alabaster by SW is a match for White Dove. I tried them all though and my favorite I will stick to forever now is Westhighland White by SW. It's perfect.

• tammra2
    8 years ago

SW alabaster is still different we have both The alabaster shows yellow Nice color but has a yellow tint to it.

• Tanya Thompson
    8 years ago

HELP! I am trying to match BM Simply White with a SW White... my cabinet guy needs a sample and can't get BM anywhere close to our town... White paint is for a shabby chic look on new cabinets with a brown glaze??/

• tammra2
    8 years ago

I went thru this same thing for over a month trying to match. You will not be able to match the simply white. It is completely different. No matter how much they try The SW will still turn out a little towards a yellow tint . Do you have an ace hardware store or really try checking local paint stores , regular paint stores and see if they carry BM paint. I was surprised that some did . Sw carries another line of paint that has a good bright white . I cannot think of the name. I'll get back with you. I think it started with a K. It was Kwal paint by sherwin Williams They use it on a lot of the model homes. I would have to get you the white color. It is a good white. I would of used it if I did not use the BM simply white . If you are using a glaze I would not get hung up on the BM simply white so much. Get a few samples of SW white even the white right from the can and have them do a sample of the glaze on it. It is hard to tell you a white since you will be the one to see it with a glaze. It all looks different with different whites

• Rob Canton
    7 years ago

dutchlove, I'm wondering how this turned out for you? Did you pick a color and how close was it to White Dove?

• Lily Bart
    7 years ago

I spend hours picking out a paint for my exterior. I was looking for a creamy white. Finally settled on BM White Dove. My painter painted a swatch, and it was so much more yellow than my own swatches - and I hated it, it's just NOT the same color. But the painter used a SW match. Based on what I see here the SW attempt at the match was the problem. Going to tell the painter to definitely use the BM paint. Hope this works. Cross your fingers .

• Michael Masters
    7 years ago

White dove is grey white...alabaster is yellow white

• Michael Masters
    7 years ago

I used white dove on all my new residential trim work. 1000 plus homes

• Arturo Bugarin
    6 years ago

SW Marshmellow is the closest to BM White Dove.

• Paige Zone 8b Sunset Zone 6
    6 years ago

We have the exact same issue -- shutter company only uses SW paint. We are going with SW "Westhighland White". "Greek Villa" was much grayer than BM white dove, not a good match.

And for the other posters -- there is really nothing like BM "Simply White" at SW. Simply white is a very cold white. Best SW match would be their basic white paint they use as a base for mixing colors.

• dutchlove
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Rob,
    Still haven't pulled the trigger on which color to use so I'm looking at a bunch of other companies that have sent me shutter samples in the whites they carry. Looking at them all during the day and night to see how they change by the windows and trim. Matching perfectly will be impossible, but I'll be happy with "close enough" at this point!
    There have been a lot of great comments here and I appreciate everyone pitching in on their experiences and opinions :)

• Lily Bart
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I chose BM White Dove for my interior trim , and told my husband not to let the painter do a SW paint match. I don't know what heck is wrong with that man, but he let the painters talk him into a SW paint match. The minute I got home, I knew the color was wrong (too creamy), and it didn't work with the wall color. My husband claimed I was too sensitive, but agreed to repaint part of the trim in one room BM White Dove to prove it - but what he proved was that I was right - even he had to admit it. So I had to pay (again) to have the trim in my house repainted with BM paint. It looks so much better with the wall color now. If the wall color had been less 'cool' the match might have worked - but in this case it didn't - so it was repaint the trim or repaint the walls.

I think the lesson is this: If you want to use a SW paint, pick a SW color, not a BM color, and vice versa.

• jrb085685
    5 years ago

My problem and many others is there's not a BM dealer within even 100 miles of me. I need a nice white to paint exterior brick on a modern home and my painter is having a stroke and keeps telling me white is too bright. I'm so frustrated. Our roof is charcoal gray metal and we're using gray blocks as well as the white painted brick. I don't think that's any different than white stucco look. Opinions?

• daisydb
    5 years ago

I like SW’s Westhighland White outdoors. Crisp and cheerful.

• Cindy C
    5 years ago

The best source to use is http://encycolorpedia.com

Unfortunately, I have not found a match for BM White Dove. I love that color and its hint of gray (NOT YELLOW). Benjamin Moore white paints tend to have deeper hues I can't seem to get in Sherwin Williams

• Joe P
    5 years ago

According to easyrgb.com, your closest color match is SW Alabaster, with SW Snowbound being a close second.

• Joe P
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here are the RGB numbers for your reference. As you can see, Alabaster is extremely close albeit not perfect.

INT.RM WHITE DOVE
    Benjamin Moore Classic c…
    sR = 237.112
    sG = 234.718
    sB = 225.801
    #EDEAE2

SW 7008 ALABASTER
    Sherwin-Williams Color
    sR = 237.706
    sG = 235.058
    sB = 224.250
    #EDEBE0

SW 7004 SNOWBOUND
    Sherwin-Williams Color
    sR = 238.304
    sG = 235.902
    sB = 229.002
    #EEEBE5

• Cindy C
    5 years ago

a closer match maybe SW Pure White 7005

Sherwin-Williams Color
    sR = 238
    sG = 237
    sB = 231
    #EEEDE7

If you look at the CYMK on it both have a bit of black (K)

Alabaster and Snowbound are nearly identical. Alabaster with a hint more yellow than Snowbound.

• Riah
    5 years ago

Was a solution found to this question? I’m in the same boat. I know I love BM white dove but have to pick a SW color. after reading this thread, can’t decide if westhighland white or alabaster is better? Want more of a grey undertone not yellow

• Cindy C
    5 years ago

If you go to a REALLY good Sherwin Williams store they can match the white dove.

• dutchlove
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Loving the easyrgb website you posted, Lori! It was was surprising to see the difference in color between that and other encycolorpedia website per other colors I need matched for signs from a painted wall. Subtle, yet noticeable - I think easyrgb is for sure truer to color matching.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

to see the difference in color between that and other encycolorpedia website

EasyRGB measures colors with appropriate instruments and follows international color standards for measuring.

Encycolorpedia pulls RGB values from where ever they can find them on the internet. Garbage in = garbage out.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    5 years ago

Have you looked on Encolorpedia? You can see various paint colors and exactly how they compare to other brands

• dutchlove
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's what we were just discussing; how encolorpedia is not as good as easyrgb for true color matching. You can see every brand of paint, and then some, with easyrgb as well.

• Kim Kerigan
    3 years ago

Ive been dealing with this problem for over a week. You cannot match White Dove with SW paint. Either pick a SW white or buy BM paint. I hate it because all BM dealers are very far away and contractors here don't want to use BM because of it. Westhighland is half the formula of White Dove, so it will be lighter, but close, but still a little yellow.. No matter what, the root of the problem seems to be SW base, it has yellow undertones, also, like another commenter said, SW doesn't have a certain gray colorant that BM does. You cannot match it.

• rosep12345
    3 years ago

A couple months ago I ordered and paid for a gallon of white dove on the phone with sherwin williams during curbside pivk up. When I arrived and looked at the tester dot on the can it was sooooo yellow. I called the man inside the store and he came out. I explained to him that this is not even close to nm white dove and I wanted a refund please.

He said we don't do refunds, it's a custom match. Then he said white dove is a color impossible to color match. Then I said that's exactly why I want a refund if you had told me that while ordering I wouldn't have ordered itI so he went inside to speak to manager and came out with my refund.

Believe the people posting about how you can't match white dove.

White dove is in a class by itself

• Riah
    3 years ago

Just wanted to update, I ended up with Sherwin Williams Pure White and are pretty happy with it! Love it for the inside, I painted our entire house and there are no undertones or anything, it always looks white. For the exterior you could probably go even brighter.

• PRO
    Christine Lakas, The Designer, LLC
    3 years ago

If you prefer to use Sherwin Williams to color match Benjamin Moore OC 17, White Dove, you have to start with The Cashmere High Reflective white base; otherwise, your outcome is too yellow.

• Therese
    3 years ago

Thank you for your comment! My painter will only use Sherwin Williams paint. I am going to buy the tester size with this base.

• Jason Ritchie
    last year

Therese how did that work for you?

• Erin Andrews
    15 days ago

Does this look like a good match? SW white dove on walls and sampilize white dove