Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marivivas

I'm not sure about what kind of lamp to put in my bedroom

marivivas
10 years ago
Hey guys, so i'm moving to a new apartment, and my mum got this pendant lamp to my bedroom. I liked it, she knows my taste and all, but when we were out shopping i feel in love with this bluish green stamped curtain, and the red of the lamp doesn't really go with it. I'm not sure what would, though? The picture is kind of filtered, so i'm not sure if the colors are clear, so the blinds are a dark maroon, same color as the lines of the birds in the curtains, and that lamp is not gonna stay there. Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (17)

• TanCalGal
    10 years ago
    Keep the pendant lamp. Paint it. Match the dark color of the birds and blinds (maroon, did you say) or some other color that enhances the room and curtains. I'd move curtain rod up so the curtains hang better, just skimming the floor.
  • Brooke
    10 years ago
    Just a tip for hanging curtains
  • marivivas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    yeah, i know, the rod was installed wrong, we already fixed it :)
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    I think the style of curtain, with its design, doesn't do your lamp any favours, and vice versa. Possibly a way to mesh them would be to paint the walls a strong blue so you are showing primary or secondary colours.
  • mcqk
    10 years ago
    Pretend I am a gay man with fabulous taste.

Your curtains? Tear them down. Just go with the blinds.

Sorry for being so blunt. Those curtains are horrible. I'm not on here to be mean. That picture would look 100% better without the curtains.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    The curtain fabric would be more appropriate as a fun pillow or small ottoman.
  • marivivas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    mcqk excuse me i'm a 16 year old potato let me have my goofy bird curtains okay they made me happy when i saw them
  • marivivas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i don't have any other pictures, we had put the curtains up that day to test the height of the rod... but the rest of the room is empty
  • mcqk
    10 years ago
    marivaris: You're 16? Well, then, go do whatever the hell you like. I apologize. Seriously, when I was your age, I had inexcusable David Cassidy posters on the wall and my mom gave up on me completely. She didn't even try with a pendant lamp!

Thanks for teaching me a lesson to just shut up. I was misled by your "I'm moving to a new apartment" comment. Thought you were in your late 20s. Enjoy your curtains and your teens. I wish you all the best.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Hi Marivaris. I agree that you could paint that lamp -- I'd suggest a deeper version of the curtain green, as below. Then you are already making the statement that there's nothing accidental about this green. But if you do that, get advice on how to get a good, smooth, professional finish to the paint job.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Oops, lamp's disappeared. Hover your cursor over the pic to see what it looks like.
  • Deborah Jarman
    10 years ago
    Hi Marivaris. Love your spunk and the fact that you know what makes you happy and want to surround yourself with it! As for the pendant, I like it, but think it needs to be a different color as well. Maybe black? Is there black in the curtains or other accessories in the room? Rustoleum makes a spray paint that is very easy to get a nice finish in satin or gloss depending on whether you like shiny or not. No primer needed, just need to make sure the surface is clean. I would mask off the inside with tape and plastic or paper to keep it white for better reflection. Maybe a black bookcase or bedframe to tie things together. Love your bird curtains! At 14 I insisted on grass green shag carpet and wallpaper with tiny yellow roses all over it. I loved it even though my 18 year old sister thought it was horrid! Enjoy putting your new space together!
  • Deborah Jarman
    10 years ago
    Oops! Sorry Marivivas. Just realized I misspelled your name!
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Double oops, so did I. Sorreeee.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    A brief story. When I was 17 I lived abroad for a year. Back home, my parents were repainting the house. What colours did I want? So I told them, in detail. Basically what in those days we called biscuit and burnt orange. I had dreamed for years of a biscuit and burnt orange bedroom. Obviously Mom and my best friend got together and decided that wasn't very nice, because six months later when I got home, wildly excited to see I my room ... it was lavender and grey. My best friend's favourite colours. My absolutely worst, at that time. That was one of the hardest smiles I've ever had to smile.

So you go for what you want!
  • TanCalGal
    10 years ago
    marivivas: A pendant lamp made from a bird cage would repeat the curtain bird theme. Cute and funky. I'd push the bird theme to other areas of the room, too. Here is a tutorial: http://www.brandwave.org/how-to-make-a-bird-cage-lamp/