0

Painting ideas! Help! Ceilings are quite low, about 6&1/2 foot!

gabbyk26
Attic master bedroom with pitched ceilings. 5' half partition in the center of the room. Left side will have doors for hidden storage. Bed will be on the right, on the other side of the partition, doing built in shelves on one segment of the partition. Doing a small vault in the ceiling at the window so we can keep the widow its original height and let in extra natural light.

• sunnydrew
    paint it all white.
    gabbyk26 thanked sunnydrew
    DMH DESIGN
    Yes, sunnydrew is right. At this height, any color will make the space seem even shorter. I just moved from a house with the proverbial "Grandma's attic" myself, and it was indeed white, with taupe carpet.
    gabbyk26 thanked DMH DESIGN
  • gabbyk26
    Argh! All white bums me out... I know I can impart color with deco, but would it be advantageous to make my ceiling lighter and go with a different shade of white on the vertical walls?
  • studio10001
    White is safe, but not the only way to go. With your foreshortened walls and singular light source, the white walls will be largely in shadow, and the envelope will lack definition, and can appear dingy in parts of the room. Using saturated colour on the walls (though not dark shades) and keeping the ceilings white provides sharper distinction and interest, and actually makes the ceilings appear to be airier by contrast. I think jewel tones accomplish this best, and personally prefer to use bright oranges and yellows in these spaces for a sunnier effect. I have tries to choose pics below that most closely resemble your angles and light source, so you can compare all-white, earth tone and jewel shade options.
    On a secondary note, choosing flooring with a glossy surface will be of help in bouncing light into the recesses of the room.
    gabbyk26 thanked studio10001
    DMH DESIGN
    Studio makes some excellent points. Room orientation and accompanying natural light into the space may afford you some latitude. White worked well in our room which got natural light from three sides of the space, as the room was laid out in a SE to NW orientation.
    gabbyk26 thanked DMH DESIGN
    gabbyk26 thanked D.F. Painting
    Design Nexus Interiors/DNI Inc.
    Just happened onto this discussion. Would love to see how it's coming along. Any new photos showing some progress?