Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbonyx21

mbonyx21
12 years ago
I have a small rectangular living-room. On one side of the room is a fireplace with an all brick wall. Across from that is my window which looks into the street. The hearth also jets out one so ht also feels like an interruption. 10 years lattes still don't know what o do with it. help!,,,,,.
an urban penthouse · More Info

Comments (6)

• Traci Rolz
    12 years ago
    Not sure how the photo is related to your question, a real photo of your hearth would help.
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    The hearth you describe is raised and sticks out about 1 foot. But every fireplace has a hearth and although some hearths might be flush with the floor, that 1 foot of hearth, even if it's flush with floor, is not useful. The whole wall being brick sounds beautiful. Does the raised hearth expend the entire brick wall? Not sure what the question was? How to arrange furniture in a small rectangle? Here is a photo with a fireplace and 2 sofas (note the hearth, while flush is not used)
    New England Contemporary Living Room · More Info
    Here's another square-type room, cannot see if they have a fireplace
    Beverly Hills Family Dwelling · More Info
    Another idea for small square
    Pool House & Wine Cellar · More Info
    Here's one
    Great Room · More Info
    Here's one
    Edwina Drummond Interiors · More Info
    Two small chairs by fireplace hearth
    Living room · More Info
  • jewelgirl
    12 years ago
    am i missing something?? Wheres the fireplace?
  • mbonyx21
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you for your quick response. The problem is that when you walk in the house, to the left is a closet door, stairs a small narrow space that runs
    from the front door to the back door. The living room is right when you walk in. One foot to the right your in the room. Window facing the street, you face the brick wall as you walk in. Frankly.....I don't really think any artwork looks good on the brick. Wish I could take some pics but that's beyond me. Perhaps I can get someone to help me with that.

f
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    It seems like you have several concerns with your house. Your LR is right off entry and the entry has stairs and a long hall to the back and the brick wall is difficult. I've never had a brick wall, and to me it seems like it would be a wonderful thing. Depending on the style of your fireplace, something over the fireplace sounds good. This shows a bedroom, but this large round art would look nice over almost any fireplace, b/c fireplaces are usually square / rectangle
    Modern Bedroom · More Info
    I think you have to go large with a brick wall. If you imagine the sofa is a fireplace, this art is gorgeous. I think you cannot arrange small items on the brick, you'll have to look for one large item
    Home Nest · More Info
    Here's a watercolor that would look nice over some fireplaces
    Bridlepath Interior · More Info
    If you like textiles, a rug or tapestry or quilt over the fireplace would look nice, see also in the back this lovely large urn that would good on the hearth.
    Eclectic Entry · More Info
    These 4 mirrors are nice, but note: I think the mirrors *or* the art is enough, not both, choose one large thing for the brick over the fireplace and see if you like that
    Home Nest · More Info

Small entrys can be improved by having an interesting ceiling fixture in a style that matches the rest of your home. Or by drawing attention to the upstairs landing with art . This makes the entry seem more spacious b/c the eye is drawn up to another area. A nice rug on the entry floor can define the space as separate from the living room, too. The long hall can be treated as an art gallery wall with art / family photos / mirrors along the way. Another thought is to paint the back door either a vibrant color or black, so it
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    continued Another thought is to paint the back door either a vibrant color or black, so it looks interesting from the entry.