Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdmickey

What Kind of Flooring with this Countertop ? ? ?

rdmickey
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I am looking to redo our kitchen. It's really open in design, white cabinets, white appliances, very light floor, light grey counter tops, and very bright. I will continue with the white cabinets, but will dull down the color with an eggshell and use a brown or grey glaze. The kitchen floor will match to a beige carpet on two different sides and then a grey one on the other, so I am trying to find something that will blend to both.

The kitchen area is a large area with plenty of light. I have looked at granite for a long time, but nothing has caught my eye. Formica/laminate doesn't bother me as mine has held up fine for the past 23 years, I am just ready for a change. I have vinyl flooring in the kitchen and will probably continue down that path. Hey, it survived raising two kids that have left the nest! Again, I am just ready for a change.

All of that being said, I have been looking at Formica's 180fx series for the counter top, but I am scared if I pair it with a wood looking floor it will be too much or too busy?

Here are the two versions of counter top I am looking at. I know the flooring isn't an exact match, but I was looking at a grey/brown wood vinyl floor.

The grey version - Dolce Vita
The brown version - Dolce Macciato

Bear in mind, I have had Grey and white for 23 years. Do I really want the same color scheme?
What do I do with the floor????
Should I do a tile looking floor just so the counter top and the floor don't look like a version of wood grain?

thanks !

Comments (16)

• rdmickey
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That is exactly what I thought as well, even though I see them paired with wood floors.
  • PRO
    Windsor Windows & Doors
    10 years ago
    Have you looked into quartz composite counters, such as Cambria or Silestone? They are essentially maintenance free and come in textures that are visually more subtle than the granite shown here.
    rdmickey thanked Windsor Windows & Doors
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    10 years ago
    You definitely need a solid color floor. If you are doing tile, I recommend Progetto Casa from Florida Tile. It is nice and quiet and comes in great colors. Choose a color from the Formica. They have a grey that will probably work and I see another color in there that they might have a match too.
    rdmickey thanked Ku Interior Design
  • PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    10 years ago
    I'll toss my vote behind the "too busy" comments. One of those surfaces should get toned down a bit to let the other make a statement. You should decide which surface you want to emphasize. Like your first photo, I typically let the countertop sing.
    rdmickey thanked Shuler Architecture
  • rdmickey
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @windsor. I have looked at granite, marble,. quartz, everything. I cannot find a combination of floor/counter top that I like with my white cabinets. I want to go darker since I have had light colors for a very long time. Yet, I don't want the contrast of white/black.
  • PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    10 years ago
    There a lots of choices in the grey scale continuum among granite and quartz. I also have fallen in love again with Carrera Marble which has a lot of variation. Some talk about it being easy to stain but I have never personally seen this happen and I've been at this 28 years. Nevertheless, if you choose to go this route, talk to a competent supplier about the porosity of marble and appropriateness for kitchens. White cabinets are a bit tough since the design impulse is to keep everything white, black & grey. If you are trying to soften this look, then maybe something other than white cabinets suites you better?
  • rdmickey
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Is this better with the wood floor ?

Resilient Nimbus - 0322V - Rainbarrel - Flooring by Shaw · More Info

Maybe I should just abandon the Dolce versions of 180fx ?

https://www.houzz.com/photos/3457-breccia-paradiso-180fx®-with-bullnose-idealedge™-kitchen-cincinnati-phvw-vp~553362
  • rdmickey
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Shuler. Thanks for your assistance. I have had the white/grey for 23 years. That is why I had looked at eggshell color with glazing. Something along these lines.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2013-whole-house-remodel-traditional-kitchen-columbus-phvw-vp~4721255

But my mind is telling me since the kitchen pairs to a grey carpet, I need to somehow incorporate taupe/beige and grey?
  • PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    10 years ago
    I like the color combination of the Paradiso but the floors are pretty dark - not for some people. The 2nd photo is beautiful and full of OWC (old world charm). I suspect that floor is actually a tile product. Really compelling is how the island is a unique cabinet compared to the back cabinets. I often try to make the island appear like it is a stand along piece of furniture. When I use this strategy, I also use a unique hard surface. I only try this in larger kitchens - things can get a bit busy in a smaller space.
  • juliewilds1
    8 years ago

What did you end up deciding on??? I am looking at the same combinations.... I don't want to spend the money on the granite/quartz, as I am so used to moving(we are military, getting ready to retire) I am certain I will get bored in a 5-10 years. I will feel better about changing out the counters about that time if they aren't so expensive. With the way trends come and go, nothing stays in style very long. I like the option of changing.

• rdmickey
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@juliewilds1 We gave our cabinets a fresh coat of white paint. Installed a new countertop, new appliances, painted the walls taupe, installed new flooring, changed the hinges and the hardware on the cabinets, and added uplighting. (Note on the uplighting. I had cabinets with railings like this. Very outdated. We tore them out and added a crown molding at the top. This hid the led rope lighting I snaked all across the tops of my cabinets. We installed outlets at the top that you cannot see for the rope lights plug into and we installed a switch to control the outlets. Honestly. It is probably my favorite part now and it was a very cheap option with a lot of bang for the buck!.)

The renovation has been just about a year now, plenty of time for me to get use to the changes . We installed Wilsonart Cafe Di Pesco , although I still like the uniqueness of the wood I originally posted, but I just couldn't find the flooring to offset it and I honestly got tired of looking. I can say that Cafe Di Pesco hides any spills very well ! I have to look closely to see bread crumbs, sugar, tea, etc. that someone has left behind. It blends very well with my taupe walls, but also my new stainless steel appliances, and my new flooring. I had an almost pure white kitchen (walls, cabinets, flooring) for 20 years, so I was ready for the change and color! The only negative thing I could say is that I do wish it came in another finish rather than just antique, as I would have preferred it to be a little more shiny. I have heard that the shinier the finish, the easier to see scratches, so over time, I may come to love the finish. I didn't have an unlimited budget and I knew I didn't want anything I would have to spend time resealing. Overall, I am happy with our ultimate decision. I also installed Mannington Omni HD flooring in Thunderstorm .

My husband is former service and now my oldest son is serving. I totally understand where you are coming from where you get use to changes in your life. The only constant, is change. That is why I looked at a cheaper option like formica. I can get a big change without spending a budget I didn't have. I would rather have gotten my updated appliances, that quartz or granite. Don't get me wrong, they are gorgeous. Just not practical for me and our situation.

Good luck and a warm thanks your husband for his service, and to you for supporting him.

• juliewilds1
    8 years ago

@rdmickey... Thanks for the update. I would love to see a picture of it! I love all of the choices you made. I have a few samples of the Wilsonart, but they didn't have the Cafe Di Pesco, but I will order one... It looks beautiful. I agree on the finish, but my kitchen will have 14 feet of countertop right below windows, so I am looking for something that isn't shiny and shows all the dirt like the current Corian does. I am getting white cabinets, as they keep me honest with my cleaning, but I just cannot do a counter that shows everything... It makes me crazy overboard shining it. I am going to check out your floors, thanks for the idea.
    Thanks for the info and support.

• rdmickey
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@julie. I can say Cafe di Pesco won't be shiny and hides anything well ! I have a lot of countertop as well. Granite would have broken my bank account.

The first photo was just before renovation. Same white everything, appliances, walls, cabinets, flooring, etc. We had just hung the plastic, but I think you can follow ok.

The next 3 photos I just snapped with phone tonight walking in the door so it was getting dark. Let's say the only thing white now is my cabinets and accent pieces on my chairs.

Good Luck !

We are now getting ready to redo our bathroom. Sigh....time to make another ideabook.

• Sylvana Krite
    8 years ago
    Dark slate.
  • juliewilds1
    8 years ago

That looks very pretty.... I do love the uplighting! I love all the light from the doors! What a great kitchen!