jeannie_nguyen

Wall mounted toilet. Yes or no?

Jeannie Nguyen
What do you think about the wall mounted toilet?

Vote and let us know if you have one, or would have one, in your home!

Green Oak Writer's Studio · More Info
YES - It looks so cool and unique
NO - That's just weird
NEUTRAL - Doesn't matter to me.

• Tim Riker

I'm planning to renovate this bathroom, which currently is like asking my guests to use an ugly airplane bathroom. I think a wall hung toilet would be ideal to open up this space a little more.

• Akimbo

Hey alanjamesmcgoldrick, Anyone who says 'what's all the fuss about cleaning' hasn't had to clean around toilets. I would get a wall-hung just for the convenience and I'm just praying that our retrofit goes ahead. And it you take a good look at the in-wall carrier you'll see how heavy duty it is. Public bathrooms have had wall-hung toilets for ages. It's about time North America caught up to Euro and Asian standards. The only thing I wonder about is that the elongated toilets are becoming a standard for accessibility and some of that access is lost if your wall-hung is tucked into a space between a counter and a wall.

Wall mounted toilet with tank OUTSIDE the wall

The one on the right is the American Standard model which is the only one I've ever found that might simply replace the ones we have. Imagine the one on the right with a HUGE 1980 tank on it (in beige-y/taupe). Ick. :) I'll take a few photos. I think we may have a collectible artifact as I cant seem to find any photos on the web of what we have in our house still. I guess now I'm just interested in hearing from people/contractors who have built the surround for the wall tank portion and how easy/complicated it is.

Wall mounted 'hung' toilet : NOISE issue?

I am pleased to find the exact question I intended to ask. My follow-up query is: I am early in the design/layout phase and have the OPTION of installing the toilet on another wall that is not shared with a living space. Considering that nearly every response above recommends some sort of noise abatement material or technique, would it be simplest just to reconfigure the bathroom and thereby eliminate the issue altogether? Thank you.

Toto vs. Duravit wall mounted toilet?

Toto performance is very good!

Wall mounted toilets are too high

Where are you located? What is the material surrounding the toilet -- e.g., painted wall or tile? Those are the minimum pieces of information we'd need to take a stab at cost. As for work, you're looking at opening the wall, adjusting the waste pipe and connections to be lower (chunk of plumber time), closing up wall and repairing surface (chunk of carpenter/handyman time). If there's tile, everything gets way more complex...
  • wuff

We had a retro fit, not wall hung but concealed cistern and stream lone base, easy cleaning and no bolts or S bends to clean :). Good luck with your retro fit, I see no reason why it can't be done

• Alan McGoldrick

Hey Monique - anyone who has to pray that a retro fit goes well is exactly my point.

The in wall carriers are built well, however, the "guts" of the system live in the wall. Should a problem occur, it can get dicey and expensive to fix what's ailing the wall mount.

Good luck with your retro fit!!!

• Akimbo

By 'fitting well' I mean into our current bathroom space. The plate around the activators is removable to give you access to in-wall components. Having said that they say you will never need to do that.

• Bev

Wall mounted toilets are too contemporary for my taste. It also would not fit with the decor and age of my house.

Cynthia Rosen BRE # 01468229
    They are the best. Would hate to go back to a standard toilet. I have 2 Geberits and 1 Chroma. Geberit is better. The side flush is an excellent feature as well.

Happy flushing!
  • Akimbo

side flush on a wall mounted? have a link?

Cynthia Rosen BRE # 01468229
    Side flush for Gerberit toilet : www.geberitnorthamerica.com › toilets_2

For the "courtesy flush" LOL
  • rollinggirl

I have no idea if this has been said or not but wall mount is great from the cleaning stand point. You don't have to try to clean around the toilet base. The whole floor is easier to sanitize. Also for ADA application it can be hung at whatever height it is needed.

• Akimbo

It cant be said too many times! For that reason alone I want one :)

• rollinggirl

Monique I have to agree with you. I got talked out of it when we did my ADA bathroom and I regret it big time.

• ibseyb

I love mine. The easy cleaning, and the inches saved in a small space. If I never have to put my face three inches from a toilet bowl to wipe around the bolt caps again, I'll be a happy woman.

For people who think they look weird, or are worried about weight, notice what you're sitting on the next time you're in a public bathroom--they're always wall mounted, and those have to be built to take a beating.

The only downside is that in the US not every plumber is familiar with installing the home models. Mine was slightly incorrectly installed, and after the flush got weaker and weaker, I had to get somebody else out, who found that the installer had left out one very small part. With a new one put in, it's worked without incident for the past three years.

• Akimbo

Thanks for the inspiration ibseyb.

• gailmarie4245

I purchased the Toto in wall carrier and toilet with the copper fittings option. The copper pipe connecting to the washlet "T" leaked. I had to tear out all my custom wood covered walls, cabinets and wood flooring ; damages are $15,000.00. Toto keeps insisting it must be an installation error but refuses to send out a representative. Multiple plumbers and insurance agents have sent Toto video of the leaking connection which clearly show that Toto's pipes failed. I do not trust Toto's work and will replace all the pipes that come with the unit with my own. So having said that, yes, the look is great and I will reinstall the toilet.

NuWave

I voted for the wall mount. I have a house full of boys. Enough said.

• dkotov

Geberit, Duravit or Toto bowl? Which one to pick? Tank will be Geberit - thank you!

• meg613

Gailmarie4245's issue is exactly worried me the most about installing an in-wall tank. Leaking might not happen that often, but when it does it can be costly. That plus the added expense of this kind of installation made me go the traditional route. Don't get me wrong, I love the look; love the idea of saving space; and love the idea of easy cleaning; but not at the risk of a major repair bill. Just not worth it to me.

• Farmin Guy

I have just installed 4 in my new house. The biggest reason we went with wall mount was not looks but ease of cleaning: one does not clean around it on the floor when it does not touch the floor!

Install was super easy during construction too. I went with TOTO from plumberssurplus.com.

• mattbobhouzz

If I get a concealed in-wall tank only, can I buy a floor mounted toilet that will use my existing drain? I plan on adding a 2x4 ledge to my existing back wall to move the tank out closer to the drain. Would this help or would I most likely have to move the floor drain anyway? Thanks in advance

• Akimbo

I believe the install kits take into account that the old drain is in a conventional location. Doesn't make sense to me that you would install a tank in the wall, and have a floor-mounted toilet.

• dkotov

Laufen toilet bowl anyone? Please share your experiences. and model. Thank you!

Omega Construction and Design, Inc.

KOHLER VEIL:

MASTER BATH DESIGN/REMODEL · More Info

This wall mount toilet worked great for the limited space available.

• kolohi

Our home came with one wall mount toilet, an old model that has a tank, and one floor mount. I love the wall mount for saving our gorgeous wide plank pine floors (which I would cry to cut). Cleaning is much better, the look is much less clunky and we have never had a problem with pulling from the wall in 15 years. Our house sitter weighs in at over 300 pounds... he cracked our shower floor and broke a few chairs but there were no issues at all with the toilet. As with everything, it seems likely that the type/brand of wall mount toilet is more important than where the thing is mounted. That said, now that it is time to replace the wall mount toilet (it is a water hog and doesn't work properly), replacement costs are triple that of the floor mount and the quality is questionable. Many less expensive models come without toilet lids, which is unthinkable in our house (cats, children, medicine cabinets over the loo...). It's been a fabulous run, but now we are paying the piper. I am unsure what I would do if I were to start all over again... lobby the plumbing industry to produce sturdy affordable wall mounts? If the options were equal in quality and price, there is no question that I would choose a wall mount every time.

• kolohi

For those who presume that all wall mounts are concealed tank, modern styles, that is not the case. You can still have a tank, so no plumbers pulling out your drywall or guests puzzling over flushing protocol. Concealed tanks are their own thing; wall mount toilets can come with a regular tank if that's what you want.

Mega Builders

A floor mounted toilet seems more stable to me..

• adriennecolella
    I considered installing a wall mount toilet when renovating a small BR off a guest bedroom. However, the cost involved in redoing the plumbing just didn't seem worth it for a bathroom which doesn't get that much use.
  • Frances
    Just read an absolutely excellent step by step on installing a wall mount toilet: http://cabindiy.com/how-to/wall-mounted-toilet/

If you're not sure what is really involved in choosing a wall mounted toilet over your standard floor model you should check out that link.
    Design + Color

A gut renovation in a home this makes sense; a retro fit is a bit costly but worth it in the long run. Quiet, fast flush and refill, actuators that can be mounted almost anywhere, seat height adjustment, etc. What's not to like? Don't try this in a high-rise as the cost will kill your budget and you most likely won't get approval.

Colorful Concepts Interior Design

Fairview Row Powder Room · More Info
    Fairview Row Master Bathroom · More Info
    Our Fairview Row clients opted for a wall-hung Toto toilet for their master bathroom and their powder bathroom. A very sleek and contemporary design!

• Belahn

I like it not because it looks cool and unique but because it looks easy to clean. If you are a heavy person though, I would think this might not hold up.

• tooky58

You bet this is going in in our forever house, between being able to hang higher for us taller types and never having to get on the floor to clean behind it. The day can't come soon enough.

This actually makes me pretty sure men designed the hard to clean nooks, thus forcing one to get on the dirtiest floor in front of the dirtiest object in your home. Am I on to something?

• cammt_b

In reply to Belahn, if the wall mount is installed properly even a heavier person can use it. I know this from personal experience. We've had ours for about 14 years and have never had issues even though our weight fluctuated greatly, especially after an accident where my mobility was limited for a longer period of time.

• airahcaz

Ibseyb, what part was missed?

• airahcaz

Folks, I'm contemplating a wall mount cause of this tight fit. Thoughts? With a wall mount I can probably then switch it with the vanity

• chiflipper

Why reinvent the wheel? If you are on a municipal water supply buy a wall hung with a Sloan valve. No tank, no worries, the valve lasts forever.

• airahcaz

Chif, you mean sloan valve like they have in a public bathroom?

• chiflipper

Yep, the very same. I'm on a private well and there's not enough water pressure for me to have a Sloan...alas.

• Akimbo

I had planned for a wall-hung toilet in a closet to bathroom conversion but the best place to site the toilet is on an exterior wall and I understand that it would void the warranty, I presume, due to freezing risks. What is the downside to having a Sloan valve? are they noisy? And to those of you who express concerns about weight bearing on a wall-mounted, just think of all the commercial and public washrooms where toilets are, and have been for ages, mounted to the wall. Mind you, until recently, it was unusual for people to weigh over 200 pounds.

Gerety Building and Restoration

Anita Nazar seems to have summed it up perfectly (5th comment from top).

• chiflipper

Sloan must have "municipal" water pressure. Mounting on an exterior wall isn't an issue because there's no tank. Noise...not quiet, but less than the "power assisted" flush types. Plumber will tell you exactly how the wall must be blocked in order to carry the weight of the "stool". Double check with plumber for proper insulation of water feed line. And you never have to "double flush".

Dreambath Sanitaryware Factory

I think wall mount toilets are a huge saving space and a clean look in your bathroom,I send you our DreamBath bathroom toilets & Solid Surface Bathtub picture for your reference.

Best Toilets

One of the biggest advantages of having a wall mounted toilet as opposed to the other types is that you will get to save a lot of floor space and they are perfect for small bathrooms! It is the main reason I have chosen wall-mounted toilet! Hope that help you!

• Sam Leverett

My partner and I moved into a 1965-vintage mid-century modern last September. We love the house and it has two full baths with wall-mounted toilets in both. However, these Crane toilets have conventional tanks that sit on top of the toilet bowls. Nice to clean under, but they both tend to clog at the drop of a hat for me (i.e., almost every time I use them), probably because I lost half of my gut to Crohn's disease in 1989 (sorry for the "excess information"). Sometimes they'll unclog themselves if I flush additional times and, since the normal water level in the bowl is so low we've never had an overflow, even with a badly-clogged toilet.

I seriously doubt that replacing our wall-mounted toilets with "built-in tank" models is an option because the baths are right next to each other and the toilets are back-to-back. We're on a tight budget for remodels / renovations as well and would be wary of tanks built into the wall due to potential maintenance issues.

Anyone know of better quality, less clog-prone conventional wall-mounted toilets?

On a visit to San Antonio, we stayed at the Hilton Palacio Del Rio for 5 nights and never even had a "near clog" with the dual-flush Caroma toilet in our bath. I thought it was really cool - if you can call a toilet cool - the way the toilet flushed. There was no hiss from the tank refill - only the bubbling sound of the aerated flush action - and there was no waiting on the tank to refill between flushes, either. When I checked the Caroma website after returning home from San Antonio, I was disappointed to find that Caroma's two wall hung toilets were both "built-in tank" models. When I rechecked Caroma's website earlier this morning, I found one "back outlet" floor-mounted model.

Anyone know if this back outlet Caroma model could be used to replace our existing wall hungs?

We wouldn't object to slightly more expensive toilets, but would draw the line at the "built-in tank" models.

• Akimbo

Hi Sam. You might find the MaP score of use when comparing toilets: "MaP scores represent the number of grams of solid waste (soybean paste and toilet paper) that a particular toilet can flush and remove completely from the fixture in a SINGLE FLUSH. Essentially, the MaP test is a TEST TO FAILURE. MaP Testing is an INDEPENDENT testing program not affiliated with nor controlled by any manufacturer or group."

• Akimbo

The next thing I considered in buying a toilet was the quality of the ceramic. Different manufactures will have different names for high-quality, easy clean ceramics. I have a Toto standard toilet and the combination of their high-quality ceramic glaze and excellent flush means we seldom have to clean it. These glazes are available in wall-hung or standard toilets.

• Sam Leverett

Thanks, Akimbo!

• rappar216

I am having my bathroom remodeled and am considering a wall mounted toilet. I live in a condo being. The toilets I am considering all flush in the same direction as the toilet I currently have, i.e., the water goes toward the back rather than being directed directly downward. Has anyone had a problem with the condo board/association regarding a toilet tank being placed in the wall directly behind my condo wall? That is where the piping for the toiletry is located.

Wall mounted is also good if the floor is not level

• Beth Ann Vaughn

They look great and just seem cleaner, no joints to mop around, no surfaces to gather the dust as floor mounted toilets do. If you have the money - go for it!