Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smkcrawford

What the heck should I do with this basement?

smkcrawford
10 years ago
I am stuck and don't know what to do with this basement. My initial thought is to paint the wood paneling. I'd also like to remove the carpet. It's a walk out basement, with no risk of moisture. Lastly, I know I want to get rid of the pink fireplace. But the thing that has me stumped is how to address that paneled wall. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Comments (106)

• tellicobound
    10 years ago
    Have you considered covering over the paneling that is in the bar area, and tearing out the bar itself. Then put in a few cabinets or beverage cooler back there, along with an island for the bar. That corner looks dark and dated. Also, the light fixture above the bar looks odd. Perhaps some track lights there that can be directed to areas you want to focus on. I agree that the vertical blinds are obscuring a good bit of your doorway, and you may want to consider a rod that extends to the right side of the door.

As far as the wood goes - if you eliminate the wood around the bar, then you have a nice focal Wall. I suggest you get a really large canvas (sold in roll form), and do a Jackson Pollack style freeform painting using leftover wall paint and some of your accent colors. Then, hang this huge piece on your paneled wall. The wood can act as the "frame".
  • Kristen Roberts
    10 years ago
    Somebody made a comment referring to the paneling as "barn wood." I would run with that. Bring in that bohemian rustic vibe that you mentioned in the rest of the house…do a watered-down grey (like aged bare wood) or barn red. Find a stack-stone veneer for the fireplace, maybe with a barn-beam mantle. Don't go so far as to bring in stuffed chickens or farm implements (unless that's really your bag,) but think old, loved, quirky.
    smkcrawford thanked Kristen Roberts
  • PRO
    nls creations, inc.
    10 years ago
    FUNCTION, FUNCTION, FUNCTION should be the first question you ask yourself. Playroom for the children, game room, family room, or hobby area for adults. Before designing any space the function should first be defined. And I do like the diagonal wood. What you do with it will depend on how you will use the room.
    smkcrawford thanked nls creations, inc.
  • elaineo
    10 years ago
    I like your white stack stone fp pic smkcrawford. That would look lovely. U could also consider the same white stone under the bar with great floor level up lighting. I would hold off the white wash until after the fireplace is done. It could be a nice contrast.
    smkcrawford thanked elaineo
  • Teresa Rutherford
    10 years ago
    ACK! I have been faced with those very same unfortunate design problems. I feel your pain. Instead of reposting all the photos, I will suggest you look at my page on houzz (just click on my smiling face over there to the left) where I have the project book on covering 1970's paneling. I used lathe, but you could use a wider width wood since you have much more "acreage" to cover.
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    NICE VERY CLEAN AND SIMPLE.
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    I know that I suggested the whitewash look, and it has got a lot of likes. But that was before I seen the upstairs pics you added. While I still love a whitewashed look, I think a white painted look would be better in your house. I think you need something different on the front of the bar though. Maybe some wood panels stained the same colour as your staircase.
  • stevedenver
    10 years ago
    @Lucidos: Sorry to step on your screed in defense of diagonal wood paneling, but YES, an architectural feature can be called dated. Even one of the photos your posted has an archway looking in on an arrangement of 70s-styled space age furniture. Put away your shaking finger and condescension.
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    @Stevedenver Are you aware of where that photo is from? Go have a peek. http://knstrct.com/2013/01/22/pinkeyes-new-headquarters-antwerp/
  • stasiyork
    10 years ago
    I kind of LOVE that paneling. I bought a 1989 fixer-upper three years ago in Colorado, and found that I do have a weakness for those groovy mountain houses. I've been trying to shift my home from "contemporary" to "mountain modern".
    I'm afraid that anything you do to tone down the paneling is going to make it look cheap. I think you have to leave it as is or take it out completely.
    I'd leave the paneling, and do something for the bar and fireplace. I agree that stone would be good for the fireplace. I also have the same cherry/teak- toned window casings, and I've found that I love Benjamin Moore's Linen paint- I painted my whole house in it (previously peach & terra-cotta), and it looks clean and modern with the wooden window frames & doors. We've got a lot of tan and gray and wood going on, with accents of color, and it works well with that warm wood and the Linen (an off-white with a touch of yellow base) walls.
  • Ralph Adams
    10 years ago
    I would keep the paneling in the wall but I'd paint out the wood on the bar. I'd replace the fireplace tiles with slate. I'd paint the walls in a warm tone like terracotta and replace the carpet with wood flooring (engineered or laminate would be fine). The fan has got to go.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    10 years ago
    LEAVE THE WOOD PANELLING - That's the only cool feature in this basement.
    Get rid of the bar - redo, put in a gorgeous hardwood flooring or better yet slate tile.
    Tie in new chipped slate fireplace stone with gorgeous rustic mantle. I can see it all in my head - find a stone for the fireplace that ties in that gorgeous orange tone to your panelled wall. Beef up the countertop on your bar, luxurious sexy sectional - you've got magic! Good luck.
  • shastacat
    10 years ago
    If you keep the wood,why not loose the tile around the fireplace and go with a mountain rustic theme. A split log mantel, stack slate inlays and chenille sofas in a rich color might be nice.
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    I TOTALLY AGREE, THAT WOULD BE A GOOD START.
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    NOW THERE IS ANOTHER GOOD SUGGESTION
  • jobyrc
    10 years ago
    Sand the wood wall and alternate complimentary stains. Add rock to the fireplace and add mantle. I would use that same rock to cover the bar base. Replace bar top with a stained concrete top. Ditch carpet and fan
  • smkcrawford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to all of you for your ideas and opinions. We've read every single one and have been blown away by some of them. After a lot of back and forth, we've decided that we are going to try paint on the paneling. As many have said, it should be easy enough to cover if we don't like it. We will definitely be removing the ceiling fan and addressing the lighting situation. We're going with stacked stone on the fireplace and bar, and replace the bar top with a concrete countertop. As for the floor, thanks to some of the comments, we agree that the carpet is in good shape right now and for the sake of budget, we're going to live with it for a while and put down a pretty area rug. The remaining walls will be painted a warm neutral. This room is the "grown up" lounging room - we have a play room for the kids in another part of the house. When money is available, we want to expand the sliding door, but that might be further down the line. Thanks again to all of you, and it will come back and post pics of the finished product!
  • PRO
    lauger concrete + design
    10 years ago
    In which city + state do you live in? I know or am friends with many concrete artisans that do incredible work. I could give you a few connection to assist in pricing + the design there of.
    Concrete is at its peak for versatility right now,... We're taking that material to a whole new level.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    10 years ago
    NO - DON'T PAINT - Really, don't paint it. Concrete and gorgeous orange wood, with ledger stone on fireplace would look amazing. Once you paint the wood you can't go back. Give it a good cleaning, and use an Orange Oil - or good wood oil to brighten it up.
    Good luck to you - but I'm begging you to reconsider the paint.
  • jdemaster
    10 years ago
    Have you considered making the most of the wood wall by adding more rustic features to the rest of the room? It doesn't have to scream 70's. Rustic modern is very chic. Definitely change the the fan and add recess with dimmers.

Put some primitive antiques on the wall - a barbed wire collection, lanterns, or some other collection of antiques that intrigue you.

How about river stone on the fireplace and bar with that concrete top. Industrial modern lamps and fixtures would look great. Lamps Plus has some great ones from Franklin Iron Works. Here is a link. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/s_industrial-modern-lamps/

I think the greatest drawback in that room is the white walls and floor. They have no character. Add color with some rustic modern features, maybe patterned area rugs and the wall will blend with and enhance your other decor.

I think the last thing I would do is paint that wall.
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    SOUNDS GREAT, HAVE ANY SAMPLES.
  • PRO
    Wahoo Walls
    10 years ago
    Absolutely Paul. We can mail one out US Mail tomorrow. Email us your address solutions@wahoowalls.com
  • alwaysdesigning
    10 years ago
    I would paint the wood, all of it. The pattern in the wood will be a nice focal point for the room and painting it will lighten the space and reflect the light. Paint all the walls the same color. That fireplace needs attention too. Modernize the surround; get some sheet metal panels and attach over the tiles if you don't want to rip them out. Get a more modern ceiling fan. I think this space can be fabulous with not much money. the rug definitely needs replacing. A neat linoleum floor with rugs to define the spaces would be great. Paint the ceiling to match walls, or even a tonal accent color. Good luck.
    [houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/155-bluejack-st-watercolor-fl-traditional-home-office-miami-phvw-vp~279459]
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    The Olivers House · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    House on Belle Island · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Minka Aire F601-PN Acero Polished Nickel 52" Modern Ceiling Fan + Wall Control · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Victorian Pool House, Atherton, California · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    My kitchen · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Marmoleum in San Jose home · More Info
    ]
  • jdemaster
    10 years ago
    Really? People are thinking the wall is too 70's retro. Those composition tile floors are 40's, 50's retro. Don't get me wrong, I like and have installed composition tile, but the look is even more glaringly retro than that wood wall. You really need an older home to compliment the look.
  • moggie73
    10 years ago
    smkcrawford, so many options, so confusing?
    Remember to trust your own opinions.
    I do love this room, please do keep us posted.
  • jdemaster
    10 years ago
    I think it is a great room. Big, good natural light. It has tons of possibilities. I am envious.

My basement is big but dark and decorated it bad 70's. Fake rock, full wall woods mural, indoor/outdoor carpeting, dark beams and old fluorescent troffers on one side. On the newer side I have white landlord paneling with lavender shelves and millwork. Yes, lavender!

smkcrawford be grateful. You won't have to gut before you redec. You have a lovely room to begin with.
  • timglidden
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    fireplace, floors and fixtures.....
    - dark grey 12X24 porcelin tile would work well Modern Bathroom by Vancouver Architects & Designers Portal Design Inc

also don't forget ...painting the window trim and smoothing the ceilings would do wonders!! then decide on the wall (I still wouldnt paint it)
  • timglidden
    10 years ago
    make sure you match the grout to the tile and use very small lines or they may compete against the diagnols in the wood.
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    Just saw this picture while browsing Houzz photos & thought of your basement.
    My Houzz: Gentleness and Comfort for a Rustic Vermont Barn House · More Info
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    WOW! HOW RAD, IF IT WERE ME I WOULD TONE DOWN THAT CHEST ON LEGS, WHAT IS THAT THING?
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    It says it is a Tibetan altar. Very interesting.
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A DISPLAY OF COWBOY HATS, I HAVE SEVERAL.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Is that an offer to donate some hats to get the OP started on a cowboy hat collection, Paul? :))
  • PRO
    Zoltan Construction LLC
    10 years ago
    Man cave!
    If your on a budget-
    -you can restrain the wood with a grayish-white wash look.
    -fireplace surround you can remove tiles and add stones and same stone under bartop.
    Just by doing that you changed the whole look of the room. Put a TV over fireplace, some nice pictures on the wall your good to go. If you have more room in your budget, dark finished 5" wide engineered wood floors will look nice instead of carpet!
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    HEY HAPPYASACLAM, JUST THINKING ABOUT THE BEST WAY TO HANG UM, LIKE IN A ROW OR THROW UM ON THE HORNS.
  • PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    10 years ago
    Try a wash on the paneling, reface the fireplace surround, add a healthy wood mantle, lose the gold ceiling fan, add some plantation shutters, swap out the base trim with a taller paint grade MDF and think about a back bar. Perfect Man Cave.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Either way, Paul. Are we talkin' 'bout Longhorns? :D
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    to Shuler Arch. you are on the right track. our minds are working togather.
    to happytasaclam well yuah, i,m talkin real longhorns like the ones on my wall partner.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Yee Haa! Bein' a Native Born Texan, that sits right with me!
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    Love that shelf Paul. Did you make it?
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    SURE DID THANKS, I MAKE LOTS OF STUFF. I BUILT A TWO STORY GARAGE/LIVING QUARTERS NEXT TWO MY HOME.
    I FURNISHED THE UPSTAIRS WITH COWBOY COUNTRY FURNITURE AND DECORATIONS.
    I WOULD LOVE TO SHOW MORE PICS. OF MY CREATION. PAUL
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    I FORGOT TO MENTION ABOUT THAT SHELF, IT'S WOOD FROM AN OLD CORN CRIB, AND IT'S TWELVE FEET LONG.
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    Nice. I love old barns & barn wood. I want to put some on my walls one day. For now, I just use it for the frames of my art prints. The prints are mostly of old barns, tobacco fields, & cabins. I even used some tobacco sticks as my curtain rods in the living room.
  • candi
    10 years ago
    I would try painting the plain walls with a warm color before deciding on the removal of the paneling. The stark contrast w / current white is detouring from what could be a very cozy, custom look. Agree w/ fire place with stacked slate, replacement of dated brass ceiling fan, and idea of adding some art and craftman style furnishings. Sometimes simple, thought through enhancements are all you need.
  • jodiephillips1982
    10 years ago
    Your so lucky that huge gorgeous empty space to work with... The opportunities are endless!! Im sure whatever you finally decide it will be great and look forward to seeing thw final results....good luck !
  • Paul Bierly
    10 years ago
    ARE THERE ANY NEW DECORATING PROBLEMS OUT THERE ?
  • moggie73
    10 years ago
    smkcrawford, I am sure it is frustrating to see so many remarks from people who want to help, but have not had the time to read all of your thread.
    It sounds as though you have selected the most reasonable options for you and hubby.
    We are looking forward to seeing your accomplishments along the way. Transforming a house into 'your home' is a nice problem to have ...
    Best to you.
  • PRO
    Century Billiards
    10 years ago
    We can match a game table or pool table to almost anything - we have many different styles and options available. Please let us know if you would like assistance in laying out your "grown up" lounge ;)
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    Oh My God! FINALLY! A big-ass room that can accommodate a big-ass sectional and a big-ass ottoman and a gigantic TV! I'm impressed that you're asking for help with such an enormous blank slate, and I wonder why in the world more people don't stop and think before buying all that unnecessary bulk for their tiny living rooms with horribly awkward fireplaces. Buy whatever you like--it will fit. Just stick to the essentials and don't be seduced by fake flowers in gigantic urns, matchy-matchy end tables and lamps, a big-ass TV stand hiding outdated stereo components, big-ass letters spelling out "home is where the heart is", a little butler dude holding an 8" x 10" tray of glasses that will inevitably get knocked over, dust-catching fake ficus trees, or, (and I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit), a sign that says "MAN CAVE." Thank you for asking for help first!

Ha! That was fun:)
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    smk - how's it today?