0
dajellybaby

Depth of the porch? Thanks!

dajellybaby
Back Porch · More Info

GMF+ASSOCIATES architects
    this porch is 8-0 wide, the minimum functional porch depth in our opinion. If a porch is less than 8-0 feet wide it is just decoration, like fake shutters
    dajellybaby thanked GMF+ASSOCIATES architects
  • lino412

Hi GMF, that is very interesting. I am about to build my home and I designed a covered arched patio on the front. I been going crazy thinking of the depth cause I know we won't be out there much, but I love the look! Why do you say FUNCTIONING? Functioning how? Are you saying to sit under? Cause I was thinking maybe 6ft, but now that you say this maybe we should do 8?

The look Im going for is similar to this...

GMF+ASSOCIATES architects

8-0 is a good rule-of-thumb. When setting chairs on a sheltered porch, where ceilings are 8-0 to 9-0 feet high, there needs to be enough room to walk by the chair and still be sheltered by the porch. When the porch ceilings are taller, as shown in your photos with the porch arches, chairs would be dwarfed in such a grand porch. In that case the entire 8-0 width is again the right width without chairs in a grand porch, now proportional for a promenade. 8-0 works there too. Bigger is also good, just not less than 8-0.