Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huggyndazy

Need help with outside of house

huggyndazy
10 years ago
Need some ideas on what to do with the front of our house to make it not appear so "flat". Maybe a portico? Not sure where to start. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Is there anything inside that gable on your roof?
  • huggyndazy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @sstarr, our master has a cathedral ceiling but I don't think the gable is part of that.
  • huggyndazy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @JudyG--I thought about shutters but I believe the spacing is too small, especially around the two windows which flank the front door.
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    10 years ago
    I agree with Judy about the paint and trim ideas. The other thing that came to my mind immediately is the idea of removing the shrubs in front and creating a sort of French Style patio punctuated with tall thin evergreens where architecturally appropriate. Add the appropriate seating and large potted plants and your house could look very French. I can't take the time to show examples but I've seen it and I thin k it would be the way to go.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Then you could go with a portico, but you would need to include the front door, and likely the windows to either side of it. That's because of your garage, which projects beyond the face of the house. It might possibly be made to work and not clash with the decorative gable on your roof; roof lines would need to harmonize.
  • colonialgp
    10 years ago
    You have nice trim around the windows so play that up. Due to the trim, shutters are not necessary (who wants more to paint?). However I like the idea of new garage doors. Paint the front door a punchy color. Get new sconces and think about window awnings.
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    10 years ago
    I suggested the French patio look because of the quirky roof line. I think a portico is too formal for the roofline.
  • PRO
    Cross River Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I agree with painting the window trim & better garage doors. From a landscape perspective a courtyard space in the front could work. It would create an element that would begin to address the lack of balance in the current arrangement & would begin to quiet the roof line. This court could be hedged with a few strategically placed ornamental trees. It would in effect become an outdoor entry room.
    Beign that everything is flat againnst the house right now & the plant material is all the same height in general another approach would involve pulling the front walk away from the house / garage about 10' or so & doing a new one (perhaps in bluestone or in whatever the front stoop is made of) in a simple true arc to the front door. This would begin to create some movement. You could then continue with simple curved plant bed lines that would allow for a layering of plant material (heights & textures). Getting a boxwood on either side of the front door would help bring focus to it & a tree at the left corner would begin to help address the scale issue that exists with the current planting.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    That awkward "added on" looking garage is an eyesore, but I don't think you'd want the expense of tearing it off and finishing out the house facade as a typical 5 over 5, puttingthe garage in the back.