Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaby00

Help choosing between new backsplash or re-stain kitchen cabinets

gaby00
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Hi, our house has maple cabinets in really good shape, which we actually don't like since we prefer darker wood stains. As you can see in the pictures it looks pretty bland especially compared to the rest of our house, where we had added red oak furnishings and stones. We really enjoy the rustic mountain retreat look and just got new hardwood floors in white oak with chesnut stain... Do you think that since we are in a tight budget by doing a different backsplash with stones, like slate quartize in dark grey tones, would look good and match everything? or better wait and save more money and re- stain the kitchen cabinets in a darker wood stain? .... What about re-staining just the upper cabinets...? . Just open to sugestions! My husband was thinking in even adding stones up to the ceiling in all the triangular wall above the cabinets. ..Please help we have no idea what is best!

Comments (68)

• Danielle Mac
    10 years ago
    Knotty pine is an excellent choice for a rustic cabinet feel. You could just replace the doors and resurface the outside of the cabinetry. Knotty pine is a fabulous finish, because as the cabinets age, the finish looks better and better. To keep renovation costs down, I'd stay with a shaker door style; this will maintain the look your going for while maximizing your return on investment. The image below will give you an idea of the look and feel.

If you'd like to go in a different direction, and would like to keep the maple finish, you could replace some of the cabinets with a metal mesh and finish the maple with a vintage appearance. The photo of the metal mesh cabinets came from this website http://www.bankerwire.com/architectural-wire-mesh/portfolio.php?application=Cabinetry%20and%20Casework&appid=8 I'd use the metal mesh inset on a couple of the upper cabinet doors. This will add depth and texture to your rustic look.

I love your husband's idea of rock on the back wall. The rock will give the design a strong accent wall, and if you can change the backsplash even better: http://walkerzanger.com/collections/products.php?view=mat&mat=Stone%20Collections&coll=Shabui check out Shabui by Walker Zanger. Once you update the backsplash to be more in line with your style, highlight the backsplash with under cabinet lighting http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/led-strip-tape-light/ The new led strips are lean and very easy to install. They give you added light for kitchen tasks, while keeping the room cool. The light will accentuate the textured backsplash allowing you to enjoy all those fabulous textures and the natural beauty.
  • Liz Castle
    10 years ago
    The scale of the existing back splash is way too big. simply replacing with the same stone as on the stair risers would correct this and really tie every thing together!
  • Sheryl Horton
    10 years ago
    Replace the microwave with a GE or Monogram space maker model. That are the same depth as wall cabinets & won't take up as much visual space.
    If you are planning to replace your dishwasher, buy an integrated model.
    Consider a stainless steel slide in range with no backsplash if you plan to replace your range. This will open up the space & provide an nice area for a tile backslash.

Try the renu ? Finish system for changing your stain color. It is available at home centers.
  • Christine Graves
    10 years ago
    I am always a fan of darker cabinets. I love black and white kitchens simply because they are timeless....in 10 years a new stain color comes out and then the new "mocha" stain isn't trendy anymore....now it's dated. I put a link below on how I took our dated cabinets and stained them dark and added white granite countertops and on a budget. I also took a couple of doors off years later and am in the process of adding mirror to the back with glass shelves. The best advice I can give is find inspiration pictures that suit you, it's YOUR house.....you are the ones who have to use and live in it.

http://www.cgtablescapes.com/p/my-kitchen-renovation-2006-to-date.html
  • Ellen Horn
    10 years ago
    What would you like to say?I would paint the cabinets, and not add glass fronts! I had them and used all solid doors when I had my kitchen redone. Unless the glass is opaque you are limited as to what to put in the cabinets. I love my new wood doors and was able to completely organize them without worrying about how they looked from the outside.
  • Harriet Gilmer
    10 years ago
    Hi Gaby, I'm almost finished with my kitchen redo. Just waiting on backsplash installation. Thought I'd send a photo or two of black/white option. This is before new floor install. One of the changes with the biggest impact was the LED can lights!
  • Harriet Gilmer
    10 years ago
    sorry for second post, but before didn't attach
  • royalpayne
    10 years ago
    I have glass upper cabinets and I hate them! Everything must be organized all the time, and be pretty things only! No mismatched coffee cups there! So, suggest you remove one or two doors and live with it for awhile. It'll help you decide quite quickly if glass is the way you want to go. For me? I'm going European, no uppers at all. Everything not everyday use goes to the butlers pantry I stole from the garage.
  • PRO
    Red House Remodeling
    10 years ago
    I agree that a good start is to change the backsplash and hardware to coordinate with the stairs, and to change the microwave to a stainless unit that maybe isn't so deep. Once you've made those changes, you can consider your next step. From a design perspective, glass front upper cabinets look wonderful. However, if you've got cabinet clutter, they're not always the most functional. Have fun with your great space!
  • djlingle
    10 years ago
    I think Sharon of RESA PRO is on the right track. For now, keep the uppers the same color and stain the lowers in a complimentary darker color. The darker lower cabinets will look better with the black appliances. And yes, change out the white microwave unless you paint the uppers white, also a nice look. Your wall color is too close a tone to the maple cabinets - go bold and bright. Not sure what colors are in the adjacent room but a kitchen should be cheery and welcoming. That's a good place to have fun with color. If you want glass doors on some of the uppers - go for it. I keep my uppers neat but if you don't go for frosted glass - it gives a similar effect but hides the disarray. If you go the open shelf route, consider painting the inside a color to show off your tableware (a contrasting color). As far as the stones above the cabinets - not a big fan - kitchens collect greasy dirt and the stones will be hard to clean that far up. Good luck with your updated kitchen!
  • Betsy Hartman
    10 years ago
    I had these same cabinets in my last house, which was also a rustic home. They looked great with dark pulls and knobs, and a dark soapstone counter. We ran the soapstone 4 inches for a back splash and then used a contrasting wall color (contrasting the cabinets) from there to the ceiling. I would change out your white microwave to a stainless to match your sink/faucet and oven hood, and put a colored statement pendulum light above the sink to match the rolling workstation it looks like you have the space to add. Maybe some old barn wood painted in a blue, green or red (whatever color you want to pick up off your dining table) with a butcher block top. As far as using stones for a back splash, my kitchen in my current house has this look and it is pretty - no grease problems, but as in any kitchen, keeping the back splash, cabinets and walls wiped clean is always a necessity. Good luck - love your floors and stairs.
  • boutspoken
    10 years ago
    Well, it looks like you have received a lot of good advice but here is mine for what it's worth... Based on the photos, I think that staining your cabinets dark would make the room even darker because you already have dark floors and will keep black appliances ( I would change the microwave and match it to the rest of the appliances). Since you like the rustic mountain look and you are on a tight budget, I think your maple cabinets work well. I would change the backsplash, though, to one that has more texture. If you still have some stone from your other projects (stairs etc...), you may want to place it in front of your existing backsplash and live with it for a few days. I would stay with a small size of stone that would compliment the maple cabinets and the countertops (not sure what they are exactly, wood?). Going all the way up with stone might be a lot and feel out of place, unless you have more stones in the adjacent room (other than the stairs). Once you have your stone, you may want to try to change the paint color. Based on some of the details in the photos, it looks like you also lean toward a contemporary style. I am leaning toward a warm grey, or cappucino/latte colors but you'd have to see what it looks like in your home at various times of the day. I like those colors because you can accessorize with pops of other colors like orange, blue, whatever you like... (and change things without having to repaint constantly). According to the photos, the room looks dark so I would try to lighten things up. By changing only the microwave, backsplash and paint, you'll have a new kitchen for a very reasonable price! Have fun!
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Windingcreek, I love the second link kitchen you posted. I've never been a fan of harsh b&w kitchens, but this cream and dark brown has me rethinking choices.
  • julielfk
    10 years ago
    In my opinion, the large ceramic tile backsplash does not do justice to your lovely cabinets. I think the whole space would look more modern with a new backsplash of narrow horizontal tiles in glass or glass mixed with other materials like quartz, marble, etc. A touch of color would be nice, mixed with coordinating neutrals.
  • Krista Why
    10 years ago
    Wood and stone are already in use and to my eye metal is what's missing. Using it as a splash back will have not only look good but reflect some much needed light into your kitchen. At a later stage you can consider adding it to your cabinets as well. I think I've managed to attach some pics for you to look at (but not confident they will appear...will retry or attempt to provide some links...if neither appear just google images for steel kitchen splash backs).
  • martynleean
    10 years ago
    I would stain the bottom cabinets in a dark color and paint the top cabinets to match in with the stone. I would put the stone from the bench top to the ceiling.
  • PRO
    Rooms with a View
    10 years ago
    We worked with a client with a similar cabinet look (obviously a little lighter than your finish) who wanted to update the kitchen on a small investment. We chose a tumbled mini brick in a quartzite slate tile. Sorry the photos are not better quality, but it gives you an idea of the look.
  • meora
    10 years ago
    Kitchen cabinets that have a lighter color stain on them does not classify it as "outdated" . If you look at cabinets in a showroom, they will still carry these finishes. Your kitchen looks lovely as is.
  • Joan GRAFF
    10 years ago
    I would remove the white micro and instsll a black and stainless faced micro over the stove. Then the empty white decro space can become a art niche or you can cover with a door that swings up.. it is your call on what color to do the cabinets. Since they are wood I would stain them I would not paint them white as this white cabinet phase will not last long. Color changes happening very fast these days. I like the color of your cabinets. Riotgirl has a good suggestion with the metal backsplash. I would add some color by place thin cornice bboards over the corner window. Pick a color but not beige or yellow because it would blend in to much. I would use a red or a color in your table top.... dark gray .
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 years ago
    I agree with boutspoken. I have stained maple before and it's hard to get a dark stain. Plus it's a ton of work to do all of those and have them look good. I vote for a nice gray enamel or if you really want to stain, use a weathered gray stain. That would look killer! And use that stone you have on your stairs as the backsplash. They make that stone in a flat mosaic bars (easy to clean). Or think about doing a combo of that slate and some glass bars. Put in some frosted glass in a few of the uppers (lit from the inside) so you get best of both worlds. Stainless on the micro. and the stainless bar handles for cabinet hardware. The kitchen is dark. Can you put in some canned lighting?? At least put one in over the sink. If not, I would get something much grander to hang from the middle of the ceiling and remove the track lighting you already have.
    here are some pics of the slate tile and how it would look. And also a pic of some weathered gray cabinets.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 years ago
    two more pics to go with the above comment
  • carbroad
    10 years ago
    The cabinets just seem so small in your large kitchen. Can you beef them up a bit maybe with a larger molding around the top and\or bottom? I like the colour but the back splash has to go. It looks like floor tile and it is so large maybe this is what is making the cabinets seem small. Maybe a nice bold print for the shades on the windows. Nicely done.
  • birdjeep
    10 years ago
    Looks like dark room, floor is dark, go light with cabs, consider a light green color, kind of natural to go with your stone, keep cabs same color, add a sm island (different color) and remove wood around window frame for a more open look. MG
  • Anna Greene
    10 years ago
    Stain. It'll match flooring better and backsplash.
  • scbeachgirl45
    10 years ago
    Hello Gaby, I think the cabinet color is the least of your problems. That color is often used in a rustic venue. Let's start with the appliances - the black is where the eye goes first and it looks dated. The microwave and the hood vent are also mismatched to the dishwasher and stove, and need to be replaced. I would obviously go stainless. Then I see the flooring tile on the backspash?? Definitly a bad move. General rule of thumb is small space smaller tile. I like the idea of the natural stone if you are going rustic but would choose a greyish tone instead of more brown, which your home already has enough of. Synopsis: Change appliances, change to darker contrasting backsplash, if you can do the countertops that would be good too. One more thing... it appears that you have a lot of switches and electrical outlets right in the middle of your backsplash? Maybe delete some or move some toward the bottom, and turn them sideways and/or put one on the end base cabinet toward the door(on the side)? Eventually I would get rid of the kitchen table and the curio (?) and put in a big beautiful island with lots of seating right in the center.
    Good Luck and take some pics when finished to show us!
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    Get a black or stainless microwave (slimmer profile) and change out the backsplash. Other than that it is very nice. Love the stone on the stairs too....maybe that would work for the back splash. Have you ever considered adding a small island- the kitchen just seems way too open to me and not enough counter space. What is with the gray cabinet behind the table- it seems oddly out of place in the room....?
  • Sigrid
    10 years ago
    The cabinets look nice and they seem to be high quality. They are close in color to other woods in your house. I don't understand the expense of changing them and find it hard to believe you'd get something better. Maybe change out the handles, if you want rustic.

If you find your kitchen bland and you don't spill too much, get a brightly colored, easy clean rug and maybe some rustic touches, like ceramic flour/sugar canisters, or a rustic basket you keep filled with colorful fruit.
  • grownedup
    10 years ago
    There are some good ideas and suggestions given by previous posters, but here's my two cents, for however much it's worth.

I think the cabinets should stay as they are - I find it's easier to stain pine and oak compared to maple. It's probably cheaper to change out the hardware to give that rustic look because they seem to have a more contemporary feel.

If there's enough room in your budget, or further down the road, you and your husband may want to consider getting slate appliances ( http://www.geappliancesathomedepot.com/slate-appliances/) to tie the appliance appearance together. They have a matte finish so it doesn't shine. If not, I would repaint the both walls a lighter color (a shade of beige maybe) and replace the back splash with the stone. You could do a 2 thin strips of stone - along the bottom of the cabinets and the top of the counter.

You can also change your outlet covers to match the wood you have, or you can play with different colors if you all want to change the color.

Good luck to you!
  • PattyO
    10 years ago
    If your budget allows for a new backsplash, I'd say go for it. The tiles are not doing you any design favors--they're neither appealing nor rustic. You can always scrounge up enough money later for a couple gallons of stain and sealer--and some sandpaper!
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    10 years ago
    Replace the backsplash because it is a lot more offensive than the cabinets. If you select the right backsplash materials, it would also help with the general look of the cabinets.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    I like your cabinets and find nothing wrong with them. The dark cabinet fad will pass, like all others, but your cabinets are simple and sleek and not a problem in any way. The backsplash is neutral enough and not in dire need of updating, but it looks a bit cheap to me (like floor tile put on the wall). So if I were choosing where to invest my money, I would definitely update the backsplash rather than tinkering with the cabinets.
  • PRO
    Ferris Zoe Design
    10 years ago
    way too many ideas for you to ponder. i just saw all the comments above, and the bottom line is there are too many upper cabinets. it closes the kitchen in. your best advice so far is to look at it freshly as a whole. you could spend no money at all by removing doors on uppers, remove the cabinet completely over the desk, and up the wattage or add more lighting; having said that, you'd be smarter to hire a designer who has a lot of experience understanding the whole picture, and who isn't trying to sell you anything. if you tell me where your home is, i can help you find someone local. i'm attaching pics of a dark kitchen with dramatic lighting and another kitchen with barely any upper cabinets, but one nice floor to ceiling pantry that holds lots of items that would ordinarily go in uppers. all very pretty, but not necessarily the right look for your home. they are all my designs, but not necessarily ones that are right for you. for what you would spend trying any one of my ideas or anyone else's, get a pro's advice for your specific needs and one that mirrors the rest of your home and specifically your personality.
  • scbeachgirl45
    10 years ago
    To many upper cabinets?? Remove some cabinet facings? Ummm NO. Sorry, but this is bad advice. I don't think you are looking for a tuscan country dining room with a stove in it. The black cabinets in the other photo are way too much black stuck together! And what's the theme (?) art deco meets country?
  • PRO
    Ferris Zoe Design
    10 years ago
    you are correct. each home has different needs.
  • sherribellbrook
    10 years ago
    Yes, definitely install an island! And remove the curio. I love your stairs btw :)
  • Brown Dog
    10 years ago
    Great bones! There's a lot happening in your kitchen that distracts from the really great elements. I think all your walls should be one colour to unify the open space. The corner china cabinet up against your counter looks awkward, could it be relocated in an actual corner of the room? The diagonal floor tile backsplash really has to be replaced but I would not use the same tile you've used elsewhere. Go with something that compliments what you have already, maybe a mosaic. Your kitchen and surrounding area look dark with not a lot of natural light coming in, if you go with dark stain or paint then your room will look even darker. I would go with something lighter than what you have, not darker. Maybe go with a dark stone countertop, to match the backsplash and the other stone in the room. Hide the garbage can under the sink. Eventually replace ALL your appliances with stainless steel. And finally, straighten out your table and chairs. You already have enough angles in the room with your staircase and sink cabinet. Furniture on an angle is kind of a dated look. Your flooring, cabinet style, curtains, blinds, table an chairs are all fabulous!
  • Katherine
    10 years ago
    Your cabinets are very nice. Much nicer than a knotty pine. Don't paint them. I disagree with the glass cabinet comment. If you swapped some of your doors for glass fronted ones don't put clear glass in. Use a frosted glass or glass with a pattern and you won't see what is in the cabinet.
  • adamsacreage
    10 years ago
    sticking with your original choices, I would choose to replace the backsplash with warmer tones, and change the microwave to a black to match your other appliances. I think these inexpensive changes will warm the feel of the kitchen and cabinets, and be the small change that you needed to enjoy the cabinet color as it is. (poss changing the plum paint to something not soo dark, so the cabinets dont stand out as much on that wall) I have restained my oak cabinets, to a dark espresso color, and although I love the color, I would personally never do it again as it is very labour intensive. but of course if you would be paying someone, it is a whole new ballgame
  • Harriet Gilmer
    10 years ago
    see attached. This would be a good look for your backsplash. would keep it from being too dark. subway tile with a narrow accent band of your favorite stone. I like the accent band placed higher though, about 1/3 from top. I'm about to do something very similar for my backsplash, but with a matte ivory 3 x 12 tile and narrow slate pieces .
    Granite counters · More Info
  • shantelwatkin
    10 years ago
    I think the darker stone backsplash would be a great way to change the look!

The maple actually works quite well in the space (warm rustic feel), it's the backsplash that doesn't fit in (to me). But if you really hate the look of the cabinets you probably won't be happy with just that change.

If it were me I would spend the money on an island in a darker stain. This visually blocks out half of the cupboards at least!

I would not put stone above the cupboards.
  • Harriet Gilmer
    10 years ago
    suggest you paint walls all one color, accent wall breaks up the space. a friend just used tranquility by BM http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/tranquility. suggest something like this or even lighter. pick up a shade pulled from your stone. also attached mock up of backsplash suggestion that you could vary to use your favorite tile.
  • Harriet Gilmer
    10 years ago
    another nice kitchen similar to your cabinets with black appliances.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Your cabinets are lovely - leave them as is. It would help this space if you added an area rug at the sink and under the dining set.

Here are some Montana-like lodge rugs that would pull the color of your cabinets, appliances and new wall color down to the floor - unifying the space. Add a large Native American basket or pot on the table to support this design aesthetic.
  • onthecoast1
    10 years ago
    Things seem to be out of proportion. Just a few things that pop out to me are:
    --The crown moulding is too thin for the size of the cabinets -- like the cabinets are missing their "tops."
    --The pendant light above the sink is much too small.
    --There shouldn't be a white microwave with other black appliances.
    --The 2 different wall colors meeting above the windows is too busy.
    --The accent wall color seems too much with the differing wall heights in the room.
    --The rustic wood trim around the door and windows does not coordinate with the sleek modern feel of the cabinet hardware.
    --The floor tile on the wall is throwing everything off.

Low budget things I would do (some or all):
    --Do NOT stain the cabinets -- they are beautiful. Instead paint the walls a color that better coordinates with the current cabinet finish (sagey-moss, or a grayish-blue, or a lighter plum?).
    --If you do stain, install a wider crown moulding on the top of the cabinets beforehand.
    --Change the cabinet hardware to something black that has a lot of shape to it.
    --Use the stair stone on the backsplash (not going above the cabinets).
    --If you keep black appliances, I'd get a black microwave if you get rid of the stainless hardware. If you keep the modern stainless hardware, I'd get a stainless microwave.

Your space is really versatile -- tons of options, especially with the new gorgeous floor. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    10 years ago
    New backsplash!
  • Sam Hill
    10 years ago
    Paint cupboards white with black handles.
  • sherryjayne
    10 years ago
    I would go with the stain to darken. Would it be possible to give the wood a more rustic texture and perhaps change out the cupboard handles with recycled glass handles in that seafoam green;then, stain the inside of the cabinets with the same green of the glass handles or knobs.
  • Jennifer Ewing
    9 years ago
    Cabinet are the majority luxurious part in the kitchen, so careful thought is essential prior to purchasing. Find drawing, technique, and color ideas so you can make it best.

Jennifer Ewing
    http://www.texascustommirrors.com
  • Judy Lee-Squire
    8 years ago

I like natural maple; however, in your kitchen there is too much going on with the different colored backsplash, white microwave and the other black appliances. If you want to stain them darker, that'd be ok but you need to get your accessories, the appliances and hardware to coordinate. We just changed out our black appliances for the black ones and it looks good. I was surprised but stainless steel looks good with natural maple, which has a yellow undertone.

• Judy Lee-Squire
    8 years ago

Sorry, I meant stainless steel.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations