Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sms2010

Need help to update home keeping ROI in mind

sms2010
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Bought home when surrounded by woods, major $$$$ subdivisions came in...am trying to save my rear end by updating home for future buyers. Pics are of home front and back then front neighbors and back neighbors.

Comments (18)

• sms2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Took these pics from zillow and the neighborhoods didn't show up to date.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    What's the price difference between new houses and your current house? When are you thinking about selling?
    sms2010 thanked apple_pie_order
  • bennnie
    10 years ago
    You have an adorable cottage. I think if you played up on the cottage look more, you can create a great deal of curb appeal that will help with the eventual resale. Neaten up the bushes, install an arbor near that side door in the first picture, maybe a white picket fence and pretty flower boxes. Replace the wrought iron railing. The yellow and white is nice but you could add a third trim color to add interest - perhaps on the gable above the front door, the new railing and flower boxes.
    sms2010 thanked bennnie
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'm so sorry that happened to you. It happened to us too. I love the color of your house. I love your house. Please don't erase the natural character of it. I like bennie's suggestions.
    p.s. hopefully someone will want to be surrounded by behemoths unlike us.
    sms2010 thanked Marilyn Wilkie
  • User
    10 years ago
    It could be that soon the dirt will be worth more than the home. Sad to say, however if your property is in close enough proximity to the new development you may be able to make more off of it by holding on to it than selling now to escape being surrounded.
    sms2010 thanked User
  • sms2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I purchased for 135k, the houses behind me are $250k up and right across road are $400k up. I have been holding onto it since the crash in 08 hoping to at least get close to what I owed, now I have been able to pay down but...market still isn't there for a two bed one bath w/ 1.2 acres. The bushes are now gone, mistakenly hired someone while away and ruined my whole garden/landscape set up. Have to restart this spring. I need siding and windows, was told to go with all neutral colours..It pains me to lose my yellow..but am trying to be wise..therefore I found this forum. I like your suggestions and yes to akakaka, I have thought of that, but there are 8 old homesteads like mine that are fighting tooth and nail to stay..I have put my home on the market once, and for a very short time, with all of the foreclosures going on in our area, people expect anything over 100k to be maintenance free and tons of extras. I am exhausted. I love the home, but in its rightful place, the woods not in the middle of huge homes that are foreclosing. So, with all of this said...what would you do?
  • User
    10 years ago
    So sorry about your landscaping! The yellow is so charming. I think if you went with neutral colors it would look like just another little cottage. 1.2 acres could very likely make two lots. Are they starting to build on your side of the road yet?
    sms2010 thanked User
  • felixgrantham
    10 years ago
    Your best bet is to probably sit tight for a couple of years & wait for the foreclosures to settle down.
    Then sell it as a tear down. 1.2 acres is a really nice size lot.

Just curious - where do you live that people can get a decent house for 100K?
    sms2010 thanked felixgrantham
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Sweet cottage. Wish you could move it to the country. Wonder how much you could get for the empty lot... That might be a thought.
    sms2010 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • akakaka
    10 years ago
    I would keep the yellow, it's cute. The color helps it look less ordinary. What part of the country are you in? Those prices seem so low.
    sms2010 thanked akakaka
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    We put vinyl siding on our little house. It is a cream color that actually reads light yellow. I like it very much. We don't have the "tear-down" problem where we live. There are plenty of people who are looking for a starter or a smaller home. Not everyone wants to rattle around in a 2500 square foot house. Let alone pay the taxes and utilities on it.
    sms2010 thanked Marilyn Wilkie
  • PRO
    Megan Summer Studios
    10 years ago
    Your home is absolutely beautiful! I see so many people craving character, and it seems so hard to find between all of the chip-board masterpieces popping up cul de sac after cul de sac. Although the new houses are beautiful, don't let them intimidate you! You have what they don't and never will. The house looks great, and the yellow is very pretty. It looks like all you need for curb appeal is some simple fixes. Here are some things to consider:

1) Cobblestone or garden stone front entry leading to the stairs, and done similarly in the back yard

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V7YN7iEWrBs/Ti2MX1ID1BI/AAAAAAAALbM/rUx2aQy_mz0/s350/mosaic%2Bgarden%2Bstone%2B010.jpg

www.centsationalgirl.com%252F2011%252F05%252Falfresco-ideas-alma-help%252F%3B640%3B452

2) A cute rock garden with some wild flowers in the back yard and a couple little benches

http://www.antiques.com/vendor_item_images/ori__1997533627_1070867_Cast_iron_garden_bench_in_the_Adamesque_style_c1880_:_Item___7308.jpg

3) Lastly, you have such a wonderful back yard, and honestly, it has so many possibilities. I you want low maintenance, I would go mostly rocks and flowers and gravel. Otherwise, it needs some lush grass, which is more maintenance. If you can't afford sod, get some grass seed or grass seed mats, and use straw to help it grow. I promise it will work.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBaotjObw8oh_llr1kIVkXUwEZTqZ2G7YM6MtXA5iYlSx_56qS

Best wishes!!!
    sms2010 thanked Megan Summer Studios
  • hazeldazel
    10 years ago
    Your house is sooooo charming! I would do little things that work with your house's style, do things to de-clutter the landscaping and the inside. Your house is never going to be a McMansion, but luckily not everyone wants that.

I agree with others and add a picket fence. Then trim things and maybe add things that add beauty but are no-fuss. For example, maybe hedge-type roses along the fence (there are types that don't need spraying or a lot of trimming), or maybe some flowering lavenders or sages. Luckily, your house is so cute as-is, you really don't have to do a lot. Just a couple cosmetic touches.
    sms2010 thanked hazeldazel
  • Ella Fields
    10 years ago
    If you paint all the walls inside white and add some light, vintage furnishings, you could present it as a summer cottage.
    sms2010 thanked Ella Fields
  • sms2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Must say, the pics of my house are a few years old but, I love the white picket fence, I have those round artsy stones, w/fairies in the garden..most furnishings inside are a mix of victorian and french country..but, walls are mostly yellow and green with hardwood and italian sand color tiles in kitchen. Was wondering about opening up the attic for increased floor space,, only a quarter of it is used..the house itself on the outside seriously needs to be siding as it the garage was sided with pressed wood (?) and it is so warped as well has green stuff growing all over it from the trees.. Oh, and I have a lot of grass now too. These all seem to be relatively simple fixes, thank you all! I did forget to ask you if you thought a sunroom off the back would be a good ROI? The contractor said he couldn't tie in a gabled roof, I would have to go with a slant roof, I do not care for that idea. But...it is overwhelming when you have to do everything yourself. Or hire idiots, scam artists.
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    Hi . I think your house looks cute and I love a big yard. personally I would not spend much on your place. I think your potential buyer will probably be someone who buys it for the land (long term with a view to knocking the house down and building a big mc mansion , maybe with tennis court and pool later). My brother has bought a house somewhat similar to yours ( cute but small) on a large block on the fringe of a new estate, The house was well presented. has good modern kitchen but is small by todays standards. It is a first home for him and he's happy but the large block means in the future he might sell it and subdivide.
    sms2010 thanked 2dogssashatess
  • Gracie Morgan
    7 years ago

I, too, think it's adorable. Unfortunately, all the people living in the boring but expensive new homes may not. People who would appreciate your house wouldn't want to live in near the newer soulless ones and vice versa. Have you talked to a good (operative word - good!) real estate agent for advice? They will advise you free of charge in hopes of getting your listing some day. Good luck!