Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brice_neugebauer

Constructive criticism wanted on house plan

Brice
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We are getting set to begin refinements on our floor plans before sending them out for bids. We will be building a 2 story with approximately 3000 square feet per floor, slab on grade, on a river front lot. The home has a "daily living" side and an "entertainment" side on the main floor, along with a guest bedroom. The second floor has rooms for our 3 kids, plus the master, home gym, and office. There are stacked closets, which will be framed in for a future elevator.

What would you do differently, while keeping the same basic footprint?

Comments (52)

• Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    I would consider using pocket doors where practical, especially in the small rooms/hallways. I assume the river views are at the back of the house, hard to tell if you are really maximizing the view. Are those french/slider doors off breakfast area? Master bedroom bed placement is a bit off to me, seems that it would be nice to walk into the sitting room first then around to the bed. Will 2nd garage be for hobbies? If so, would add windows to make pleasant work space. Noticed that the kitchen sink window and master bedroom window by bed are similarly aligned, is that the view that you like the most? Interested to see what others think.
  • PRO
    C to C Tile
    10 years ago
    I also like the open kitchen-family- dining room plan. It's great to watch the kids while cooking and makes for a great space for entertaining. One suggestion I'd have is adding a pantry or some more storage in the kitchen area. I agree with rinqreation in that with the game room, sitting room and family room, there is definitely some room to tweak the design a bit. All in all though I really like the plan.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Moved the kitchen (and changed/added some doorways):
    1. is a breakfast nook window seat
    2. is an island with both cooktop, sink and dishwasher
    3. is a wall with tall cabinets, fridge, oven, coffeemaker and such
    Brice thanked rinked
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Inspiration:
    Pendrell Penthouse at English Bay · More Info

Custom White Oak | Arete Kitchens · More Info

The Marquis · More Info

Thayer Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    GMF+ASSOCIATES architects
    10 years ago
    it is difficult to design a home without simultaneous consideration of the exterior - the three dimensional approach produces the most satisfying results. Consider this: the most famous examples of residential architecture did not start with the floor plan. Take Falling Water by FLW as a quick reference. He started with the exterior materials and the site. The floor plan is certainly important, but personal preferences rule there because anything goes. A masterpiece residence, a magazine quality home, a work of real art-itecture is creative on the outside above all, personal on the inside.
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

GMF+ASSOCIATES, I have uploaded an image which shows the front exterior. This isn't 100% accurate anymore (roof line, some window placement, etc have changed), but it gives you an idea of the style we are going for. Note that we will not have the divided windows as this shows.

Maria, the "angled" views are my favorite, as they look out over the greatest expanse of water. Thanks for the tip on the pocket doors. I think this is a great idea, especially for some of the tight spaces as you say (maybe for the jack and jill bath connecting the kids' rooms). Someone had also suggested that we don't put any doors at all on the walk-in closets, and orient them such that you don't immediate see directly into them. Has anyone heard of this or seen examples of how this would work?

Now, for ringreation, architectrunnerguy, and C to C - there seems to be a consensus that the kitchen placement isn't ideal. The funny thing is that the kitchen originally was back on the right side, where the family room is now (similar to what ringreation drew up), and the plan was much more open. I have uploaded a copy of that revision (note that this is also missing the half bath by the garage entry). Here were our main issues with that plan:

(1) the area is too open, in that we fear that furniture arrangement (and TV placement?!?) would be a nightmare.
    (2) if we have guest over (we like to entertain), the kids would likely end up hanging out in the main entertainment area with the rest, instead of having the family room on the other side of the main
    (3) having the breakfast bump on the far right made design of the master more complicated / limited out ability to enjoy the view from sitting, bedroom, and bathroom areas.

It wouldn't be hard to resolve number 3 by simply leaving the breakfast nook where it is, but I cannot fathom how furniture would be arranged. Perhaps if we simply added a wall in between the "sitting" and "great rooms"??
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Architectrunnerguy, forgot to mention that your point about the windows is well taken. We will certainly be aiming for the "wall of windows" feel on much of the back side, including the breakfast area. The master, gym, and office areas will also have the wall of windows treatment. These will be added into the next revision of the floor plan.

Can you provide any examples of a layout which would fit into our master bath space which has more "pop" as you say?
  • hmjones2005
    10 years ago
    I would somehow reposition the sinks in the master bath. My sister's bathroom has the two sinks separated by the shower, and it just looks odd. That is the one thing she doesn't like. I would do a double sink vanity on one wall, and on the other do a rectangular double shower.
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks hmjones2005. We are considering different layouts for the master bath, and will certainly take your thoughts into consideration. If you have any photos / links showing something you think might work better in our space please post them.
  • PRO
    GMF+ASSOCIATES architects
    10 years ago
    glad to see the exterior post. This makes a huge difference in understanding your architectural goals. Our approach to design is to develop both simultaneously, from scratch. I like to use Houzz to find a starting point for a design. Before Houzz existed there was my own collection of magazines photos , files of thousands of houses I have admired, and more recently google images. I like to get my client to identify a house style that delights them visually, usually communicated by photo preferences and my sketches after seeing the site. Did your architect stimulate your visual imagination early in the design process?
  • hmjones2005
    10 years ago
    This actually looks pretty good! The layout is similar to yours.
    [houzz=
    Bathroom · More Info
    ]
    Brice thanked hmjones2005
  • hmjones2005
    10 years ago
    This is more of what I was thinking though. With the larger shower for two. I am not a fan of pedestal sinks, so I would have a regular vanity with separate sinks and mirrors for each person.

[houzz=
    Modern Bathrooms · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hi brice_neugebauer, Marie here.
    I'm really hesitant to give you advice on what you should put where in terms in moving internal walls around. One of the things I do with my clients is I review the floor plans with all family members in the room - we do a "finger walk-through" each room where I give my two cents on observing the space from a design perspective, then with maintenance and functionality perspective.

Through the discovery of getting to know your family's needs, wants, lifestyle, and how you use your home can a truly perfect home's design be realized. Getting various designers input will only confuse you - as we all have varying degrees of expertise, and opinions - all without truly knowing who you are and what your expectations are of this home.

If you are in the Edmonton, Alberta, Canada area - I will consult with you for one free hour to discuss these plans - see if they are a good fit for you. If not, I highly recommend you hire a professional - that you trust - to give you an hour or two of consultation on reviewing your plans with you. Good Luck, and I hope you can respect my advice as sound
  • PRO
    Lunada Consulting & Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Many wonderful details in your floor plans! On the second floor I would consider converting the Jack and Jill bath to two separate bathrooms. You definitely have the square footage for it! That avoids all the issues of the pass through doors being constantly locked or unlocked. Good luck!
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks hmjones2005. That first image is very close to our first layout, and doesn't look too bad as you say. Still going to explore our options. We would like to keep the tub on the window side or perhaps as a center piece with a walk-through shower behind (but not sure there is roof for that). Something like this on a reduced scale.

Traditional Bathroom by Naples Design-Build Firms The Lykos Group
  • hmjones2005
    10 years ago
    That is too funny that you said that about the walk-through. I was going to suggest that as well.

[houzz=
    High Rise Master Bathroom · More Info
    ]
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lunada Consulting & Design, Inc. - thanks for the idea for two separate baths rather than the Jack and Jill. It had occurred to us as well that this might be a better option.

hmjones2005 - Yes, something like that although turned around 90 degrees from what I was envisioning (shown below).

Marie - Thanks for your offer, but we are not from your area. Your advice to hire an architect is certainly respected. We are currently working with a designer, and gathering ideas for the next revision.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    10 years ago
    Your welcome brice - certainly sounds like you have an amazing home - one that I would dearly love to consult with you on - I wish you the very best of luck in your adventure!
  • PRO
    Artisan Design Homes of KC
    10 years ago
    1st, trust your architect. Looks like they put a lot of thought and design into your plan and that you have worked closely with them! I'm project manager for an 11k sq ft home and we have poured over the plans - envisioning how they live in the designed space.
    After doing that with your space, I'd tweak the following:

Move the laundry to back up to master then change configuration to allow pocket door access from laundry to master bathroom. Cuts number of steps down! Or put door to closet in hallway.

Also, unless you get up at same time, I'd have a way to close off bathroom from master bedroom. Can be french doors that are open most of the time.

Kitchen - why do you have 2 islands? Why the large curved one? Just wondering about the idea behind the configuration.
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    House Lizard, thanks for your thoughts.

I like your idea about making the laundry back onto the master closet - makes a lot of sense. It wouldn't be difficult to swap the arrangement of the half bath / elevator and laundry / elevator on each floor. It is something we will look into, with my only initial concern being that the elevator then wouldn't be quite as accessible from the main length of hallway.

We don't always wake up at the same time, but thankfully she is up before me most days! I can usually sleep through anything, so not sure that it is necessary to have a way to block off the master bath. I will see what she thinks.

Yeah, the two islands.... apparently one if for food prep and the other is for serving (i.e. setting up buffet style meals on holidays). Not certain that this exact arrangement is going to make the final cut.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Moving it down the hallway will just mean you might have to make a turn if moving large furniture. Most of my clients with elevators use them for the vacuum! And bringing cleaning supplies upstairs.

My 2 thoughts on the islands:

When you have a upper and lower level on an island it chops it up. It's never wide enough on ledge for platters plus it looks like you are keeping people out.
    I think you'll always be walking around the smaller island. I have done double islands before but they were both same size and rectangular.

Btw, where is the dishwasher? What is on end by breakfast room?
    I realize I'm looking at a small print, but looking at the kitchen I see 2 other changes I would suggest.
    The stove looks close to the sink. Not a lot of space for dirty dishes.
    Frig looks to be at far end of kitchen - if it was by the breakfast nook, it would be easy access for getting into at dinner. Oh I forgot salad dressing...now you have to walk across for it. Plus keeps people from coming in too far into kitchen while you are working.
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    House Lizard, I agree with your observations. I should have probably explained that the appliance placements are not finalized, and the layout will change after meeting with our kitchen designer. The current cabinet plan was kind of thrown together for illustrative purposes.

As others have suggested, I think we may end up moving the kitchen back to the other side (right) of the plan. We both love the kitchen shown below, and are hoping to do something similar in our space. Here is how it might look in plan form.
  • daniellelevy
    10 years ago
    i would never do that corner island. Its outdated and impractical. You're building a house from scratch, better off putting a rectangle island and butlers pantry in between the dining and kitchen to make it more formal for entertaining as well as functional.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Oh much better kitchen placement!! Like the picture too! Can you use the storage room as pantry? Or part of it?
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    I'll put in my pet peeve - no closet at front door!
    You might always come in through the garage, but you need a place for guest coats and boots. And from your comments, I assume you entertain alot, so a coat tree wouldn't be enough.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    10 years ago
    To be honest, I thought the first kitchen was horrible. Just went with the inboard suggestion then, as sometimes brutal honesty can hurt feelings but now that you're coming around, I'll call it that. Still not in love with all that two story space. Reminds me of Toll Brothers.

You revisions are a vast improvement but still has a ways to go. I agree with Lizard about the multi level islands.

Below is a recent view oriented house that has two islands I'll post here for two reasons. First one is the inboard kitchen of course. And, while the photo is unclear, behind the island is a window seat, NOT a banquette, a dedicated seat. People love them. And second, I never stop my thinking at the exterior walls which whoever's designing your house appears to be doing. See in the plan below how the pier lines up with the foyer?? Well, that's no accident. A bunch of other examples one one of my "ideabooks" if you go there.
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    House Lizard - We are unfortunately already pushing it for space in the mechanical room, so I don't think we can take any more square footage out of there to expand the pantry.

That being said, I think we can use half of the future elevator as additional pantry space if needed. We will have 5 "coat cubbies" on the left as you enter from the garage, with the future elevator used as a spare closet until the kids are grown and gone. If/when we put in the elevator, a regular bifold style closet would replace perhaps half of the cubby space for coats.

daniellelevy - I think the corner island will be scrapped in favor of something more similar to what is shown in my last post. Improved?
  • PRO
    RyMark Homes
    10 years ago
    Hi Brice - I just happened to stumble upon this post. My brother (shaun kessler) is a builder/framer in Bismarck so when I saw the Diversity watermark I dug a little deeper into this plan out of curiosity. I am a real estate agent in Rochester that does a lot of new construction and I have some lots for sale along the river in which we can only have slab on grade homes built. Could you attach an image for the front elevation so that I could have an idea of what home style your building. Looks amazing!
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Architectrunnerguy - no need to hold back, we are looking for criticism! If you think something is horrible, let it be known.

I realize you hate the 2-story space. I'm afraid we are going to disagree there. Perhaps we will grow to dislike it, but we both like homes with the large open feeling this provides. I've never seen a "Toll Brothers" home - maybe I would like them ;)

I am having a hard time seeing the window seat in your pictures, but I trust it is by the window on the right side as you face the main bank of windows?

As far as sight lines are concerned, the main entry foyer aligns with the fireplace in the great room, and the entry from the garage now lines up with the wall of windows in the center-rear of the breakfast area. What would you do differently in this regard?
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Rami, there is as (outdated) version of the front elevation posted earlier in this discussion. We are building North of Mandan - with Diversity (as you noticed). Perhaps your brother will be working on our place next fall / spring?
  • PRO
    RyMark Homes
    10 years ago
    Possibly, he does a lot of custom framing for Diversity:) I'll scroll back up and find the elevation...How wide is the home frontage wise?
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It will end up being 107-110 feet across, including the front load garage. Without the garage it is 82 feet.
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kathy - the nearest coat closet to the front entry will be under the stairs, near the bar. Not exactly at the front door, but perhaps near enough.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    Toll Brothers is a big builder who wins lots of design awards. They have some lovely house designs. I love a one story, very convenient but on a view property sometimes it is nice to have the elevation to capture more of the view and you can also maximize expensive land use.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    10 years ago
    Subjective opinions here but a lot of Toll Brothers houses lean toward the McMansion genre, all hat and no cattle.
  • hmjones2005
    10 years ago
    The bathroom picture that you posted is exactly what I was thinking of! I love the stone of the tub and shower. It will also help with the plumbing having them back to back. Also, I love the new kitchen layout. It's going to look great! I don't think you will have pantry issues, because you can just put cabinets in the pass through to the garage.

Toll Brothers is sprinkled across the US. They have probably built at least half of the homes in California. LOL They have some really nice plans on their website.

Here is a photo idea for your kitchen that is one of my favorites. It's hard to tell from the plans, but is there going to be a separation wall between the family room and sitting room?

[houzz=
    Cortona Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    hmjones2005, thanks for the kitchen idea - not our colors but I like the design.

We have been leaning towards having a separation wall in between the family room and sitting room - if nothing else to make furniture placement easier and to allow for somewhere to hang a TV in the family room. What are your thoughts on this?

One of the earlier revisions actually had the fireplace as a sort of partition between the two rooms, which is another option. I didn't like that it wasn't centered on the respective sides of each room. Maybe this is not the deal breaker I thought it was, or perhaps someone can think up another solution?
  • hmjones2005
    10 years ago
    I really liked the flow of the photo, and it seemed to reflect what you were going for in your plan. I do like the idea of a wall in between the two spaces. That way someone could be hanging out reading a book in one room, and another watching tv in the other. I would just leave the fireplace where it is in the great room and not have one in the family room. That way you can have fun with furniture placement and art on the walls. I can't wait to see your finished product!
    Brice thanked hmjones2005
  • PRO
    Greg Abdo
    10 years ago
    I know second floor laundries are convenient (that's where the bedrooms are) but....with 3 kids some area to dump the dirty stufff when they are first coming in the house ("mud room") and to do the laundry while your watching TV....do you want to be going up and down the stairs? Laundry shoot?????
  • Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    Super good idea about the chute Greg! I agree that the laundry activity is part of cooking dinner and supervising homework. If you have hired help, that might be another story. I was also wondering about the age of the children in the home. (Please don't say, lots of sharing here.) I would really focus on the future of the people that will live in and enjoy the spaces for as long as you plan to own your home and make things as flexible as possible to accommodate the various life stages.
  • heidiluking
    10 years ago
    I would swap the kitchen and great room. You can have a nice u-shaped kitchen. Centre the range on the wall as a feature and put your sink in the island facing the great-room and the view beyond.

I don't think you will like having people go through your mud room to use the powder room. I would suggest taking out the angled closet, square it off and put the powder room there. You may find you even have room to then turn the closet into a pantry and still have room for the closet where the powder room currently is.

In the guest bathroom I would suggest you swap the bathroom door and the linen closet. With the door in it's current location furniture placement of bedside tables would be awkward. If you rotate the linen closet you would get a nice large closet but sacrifice the window or consider having the window fill the wall and build a long, low cabinet underneath it.

In the master bath I would consider moving the door to the closet so that it faces the sitting room. And look at reconfiguring the bathroom layout for a better flow. Personally, I am partial to a long counter with two sinks.
    Good luck.
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Greg / Maria - We both want a laundry upstairs with the bedrooms, and I don't think we are interested in having a laundry on each floor. I guess I would rather be going up and down the stairs empty handed than going up and down the stairs with baskets full of laundry!
  • Brice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Heidi - you are not the first to suggest swapping the kitchen and great room. I have posted an updated version of the floor plan later earlier in this discussion with them switched around (kitchen on the right side of the plan). The layout of the kitchen has changed as well.

I think the elevator and powder room locations will be swapped. This is being discussed but I see what you mean.

We hadn't thought of the awkward door placement in the guest bedroom leading to the bath - thanks for your observation. We wanted to have some natural light in that bathroom, so we will need to consider our options (including your suggestion of a low cabinet).

The master bathroom layout is going to be reviewed as well I think we will use the below image for our inspiration.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    One thing to keep in mind - if you are going to the trouble of planning for a possible future elevator, take the time now to review universal design requirements with regards to placement of hard to move items like in the kitchen, baths, and doorway/hallway placement and width. It would be a real bummer to go to all the work of building a lovely custom home with plans for staying long term only to find that when you do have more mobility issues, making the space work for you will require a lot of expense and mess.
    Brice thanked KD
  • shelleylenick123
    8 years ago

it is such a large kitchen, today's family tend to spend much time in there. I more then one person is preparing food, you may want to consider a second sink in the Island. Either for prep or whatever. I know that I don't know what I would have done without it.

• shelleylenick123
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sometimes having a his and hers vanity is very nice, but loses the opportunity for the wow factor, so make sure you get it in your finishes, such as light fixtures or tile selection. The corner shower stall is usually used when there is lack of space. You don't seem to have the problem in the master bathroom. It seems you have a missed opportunity to do something really nice or spa like. Maybe reconsider your layout. Not sure if this will be your last home or if you plan to retire, since the elevator is mentioned, then consider your shower in the master to be one with no seem or lip. Other things to consider are / trough invisible drains, if done correctly you may not even need a show shower door, or only partially.
    This look is becoming very popular, and will make life easier if you are still in the home in your Senior years, with out it looking like an assisted living facility.

• mickykime
    8 years ago

make sure doors are at least 34 wide, 36 would be wonderful for later years, and easier now for kids and furniture moving. stairs could open not from front door, but from center hall, as you will be going up and down them a lot. Front door stairs are the norm, but really, everyday living is not at the front door.

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

This is nearly two years old in case anyone is interested.....

• jdgail
    8 years ago

Shower in the downstairs guest bath instead of tub for older visitors. If you will ever swim in the river, you may want a full bath off of the garage that is accessible without going through the house. Moving kitchen back is great choice. Lucky you!