Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lra2

Entry way help

lra2
10 years ago
Just hauled this dresser home cause I though it would be perfect for the entry way area. I feel like it looks skimpy and isn't as impact full as I wanted it. Any ideas to make it work? Or should it go back to the store?? I just love the color!!

Comments (46)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 years ago
    Love the piece I just do not think it is working in this spot ,maybe something round and larger with a large arrangement of some kind
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Do you have this color in an adjoining room so it ties in with anything? I can understand how you fell in love with it, as such a nice piece and that color is soooo fun! Am I right that it fits right exactly in that space with all the slants there?

Do you have a piece of art to put where the lamp is and prop it there? Colorful piece? Then a dish with a color from the art to place on the top?
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No....don't have much of any color....living in a sea of brown. None of the other rooms are decorated yet....we just moved in. Starting with the small areas first.
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    10 years ago
    You'll probably need to scoot it to the right too.
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great ideas! What color accents are u thinking??
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    The good thing is, THIS color looks great with brown!!! I like the idea of a small chair next to it. Could you grab even a kitchen/dining one to try there?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Is there a good/natural stopping point for the accent color? Does that hallway wall go rather high in to the stairway or not?
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Ira, I love your new piece but it needs to fit on the wall to the right. What you have now looks awkward on an angle.
  • Janelle
    10 years ago
    Paint the walls the color if the dresser! :-)
  • snowjulie
    10 years ago
    I like the chair idea. Or a funky floor lamp. Also, maybe a round rug to break up all the straight lines. All these things will give it more presence and look more substantial.
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Abbyjean, yes...it goes really high up, so no natural stopping point for accent wall:(.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    It looks too big for the wall to the right???? Are there three little walls right there?
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Abbyjean....love how analytical u are...yes!! That's why I didn't understand when everyone said move to the right. I did anyway and will post latest picture now. But now there's a little triangle of a space of that makes sense between the piece and the wall.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Well, I was just so darn impressed that you found a piece the right size to fit THAT one little space!
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pretty new to this site....can u all see the latest photo?
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    OK, miss smarty pants :), so you made it fit. Now, you will need to "fill" that corner with something, perhaps a floral arrangement? Or possibly, move the lamp to the left and place two small pieces of art on the right wall (one atop the other)?
    lra2 thanked karen paul interiors
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Karen, I'm really just completely clueless is all I am ;)! My next question will prove it more that anything ;). Floral arrangement behind the piece or instead of the chair? Are silk flowers tacky? And do one of the adjoining rooms need that same blue, or is this okay alone in its own space? Pheeewwww;)!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    karen paul, you like it better angled with that awkward space to play with? That is what bothers me....that open triangle. And I get the idea she is too young for a floral arrangement.....or maybe that is not an age thing????
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Looks great. I didn't have a particular color in mind. It would depend on what else is going on in the surrounding areas. If there is no stopping point for accent color then skip it.
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    33:). I love flowers, just too high maintenance to always keep fresh ones.
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I'd play with the angle of the chest a little
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, so what color should accent chair be?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    If she moves the lamp over closer to the chair and tries art or a mirror on the flat wall, will the triangle be ok?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Part of me says to embrace those angles instead of fighting them???? BUT which way is fighting and which way is embracing????
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Abbyjean...we are so on the same page. Wondering the same thing!:)
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- I think it is a great piece and it fits that wall perfectly ,you just need to finish decorating around it . If you could place a small round Asian style stool (drum style ?) or something upholstered , off set in front and a little to one side . Then instead of having a lamp on the cabinet , put a floor lamp on the right side . Then dress the top of the cabinet with a small interesting decorative mirror on the higher part of the wall and then add a potted orchid and maybe a lux box or a bowl in colored glass or silver or the new tarnished gold or a statue /sculpture .I really like that color and it could continue into the rest of your house to liven up all the brown you say you have and a few hits of red would also fit in with the color scheme . So keep it in the corner the way you had it and finish adding your décor with it.
    lra2 thanked lefty47
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    abby, I hate the angle but she can make it work. I believe she loves the piece no matter what, so better to do square peg round hole and make it work. Unconventinal always works. Yes?
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    I get such a chuckle from lefty, as she always finds the rainbow! :)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    karen, what do you think of lefty's suggestion? Give it a try? And I agree it is a piece to love no matter what.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    AND unconventional is one of my favorites!!!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    I always love lefty's suggestions.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Could a floor lamp go in the triangle??????
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    No. Lefty is correct as the floor lamp (if that's what happens) needs to go the right. We don't want to "fill" the triangle.
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lefty, love your suggestions...are you saying to move it back so that it is flush against the wall?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I understood back and flush.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    What shape of mirror, lefty? Dark frame?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Orchid?? There you get your flowers you love so much!!!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of red, too! Yes, there is that rainbow!!!
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok...so if you're looking at the chest, two things on floor to the left, floor lamp on right, and scratch the chair?
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    New pics to be uploaded tomorrow if I'm not snowed in
  • lra2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Those of you in California have it all figured out...sunny and nice year round ;)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I won't be snowed in as you are afeared of being, but we are in another wind chill advisory here....35 below. Yes, California sounds pretty darn good right now!!!
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    What do you all think of a curved settee there instead?
    Curved Settee · More Info
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    Hi -- Ira2 -- Yes ,"no chair" just a stool ,front left and yes, put the chest back to your first position - gee this sounds like yoga instructions ! As for the Orchid -- this is the only faux plant you could have if you don't want to have a live one . Now for the mirror , how about a star shaped one ? The shape will add interest from all the square . What do you think --- everyone ??? By the way -- thanks for the cheering section !!
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    and good night
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio