Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lifeontherivah

In my kitchen, I wish I had....

Maribeth
10 years ago
Any out there have any regrets regarding their kitchen design that others could learn from? I'm sure I will have some to share when our construction is complete. It's so difficult to think through it all on paper. Thanks for any tips/lessons learned.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    A carpenter's mistake drives me nuts (otherwise perfectly designed for the needs stated).

There is a full height cabinet on one side of the entry door (pantry) and a lower cabinet only on the other side.

The door swing was designed so that one could put down a tray on the countertop, open the door, grab the tray and walk out. Or open the door, plop the groceries on the counter and walk in unencumbered.

The carpenter installing the door swung it the opposite (I had the plans posted! I had it taped on the floor, I had submitted plans to the GC MONTHS in advance). And now the door swings so that coming in or going out, there is no way to put things down. Luckily it doesn't bother those living there (in fact they think it prevents that counter from becoming a catch space where mail, purses etc would unintentionally pile up) and looks lovely but for me it would make me nuts.
    Maribeth thanked Shannon Ggem Design
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    10 years ago
    Also I really love those pull out cutting boards and am going to start speccing them in all my kitchens from now on.
    Modern Kitchen · More Info
    Maribeth thanked Shannon Ggem Design
  • Maribeth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I ONLY had drawers in my former base cabinets and ONLY have drawers planned in the future ones. Could not agree more! THANKS!
    I just wish someone could come up with an idea for the upper cabinets that are way too high for me to ever be able to meaningfully use, at 5'2" at my tallest! I want them to have molding and go to the ceiling, but for all intents and purposes other than display decoration with glass cabinets, I can only reach the first two shelves and the 3+ feet above is wasted and frustrating.
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    10 years ago
    Wise choices! Many people store items they use only occasionally in the higher cabinets. It is definitely a cleaner look to have the cabinets go all the way to the top.
    Maribeth thanked APK Designs LLC
  • PRO
    New England Kitchens
    10 years ago
    Check out Rev A Shelf for wall cabinet accessories. No need to drag a chair into the kitchen to reach everything in your wall cabinet with Rev-A-Shelf’s magnificent Pull-Down Shelving System. The 5PD Series is a chrome-plated two-tier pull-down shelf that brings hard-to-reach items down 10" while pulling out 14-3/4" from the cabinet. This functional pullout features a unique gas assisted lifting/lowering mechanism that provides unparalleled stability through the entire range of motion and the arms lock into the down position for complete accessibility. The Pull-Down Shelving System has a sleek wire design and includes both side and bottom mount brackets, fully assembled wire baskets for easy installation and is available for Wall 24" and 36" cabinets.
    Maribeth thanked New England Kitchens
  • Maribeth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! Immediately checking THIS out. Thank you!
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    We moved into this new condo three years ago and love the kitchen...lots of storage, large drawers in the island. However, I do miss the IKEA pantry cupboard with pull-out shelves we put in our last kitchen. That small pantry held everything.
    Maribeth thanked edithsmom
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    These are my favorites.
    1. Trash compactor (or at a minimum hidden trash area).
    2. Hot water and soap dispenser at sink.
    3. Pull out drawers for pots/pans.
    4. Pull out pantry for spices near stove.
    Maribeth thanked Darzy
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    My regrets all involve small aesthetic details (and invariably involve decisions I compromised on to make my husband happy). So I guess the larger lesson is not to make too many compromises with your spouse if the compromise is going to annoy you. And in all cases I was arguing for the simpler option, so I guess the other lesson is keep it simple and classic.
    Maribeth thanked feeny
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    I regret not putting a nicer and quieter Bosch dishwasher and nicer refrigerator in our 2010 kitchen. I hate the stainless finish on the fridge. I fixed both of these mistakes in our up north home.
  • poollover
    10 years ago
    Lessons i have learnt and planned In my new shortly to be installed kitchen; All drawers for ease of use. Because i am short very few wall cupboards, an oven with slide away door and a linear hob so I don't struggle to use the back burners.
  • Maribeth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    poollover, Help me out. What is a linear hob?
  • Maribeth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Marilyn, Thanks for confirming my fear of SS. And I hated my Bosch in my home up North. Cleaned dishes inadequately. Meanwhile, I LOVE my Kenmore (Sears) dishwasher at our beach house. My DW (whatever it is) will be paneled in the new construction.... so I don't care what the brand is, only the efficiency and lack of noise!
  • Maribeth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Feeny, funny...the kitchen designer was here this afternoon and after MANY promises that he would leave me alone with kitchen decisions, my husband started contributing opinions about my cabinet color choices. SIGH. I ignored him. This is my sacred ground, I have decided.
  • poollover
    10 years ago
    Hi dnamama, a linear hob has all the burners in a line instead of the traditional square means you are not reaching over pots on the front to get to those at the back, see link for example. Wish I had installed one last time around would have saved a few burns!
    http://www.cda.eu/News/Article/1335
Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor