Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmcd1701

ugly wall with too many light switches, thermostat, electical plugs...

Kathi (kmcd)
10 years ago
I have a wall that I look out at every time I sit on the couch in the family room. I thought about floating shelves and leaning items against it, to hide some of the electrical stuff...but I really do use the light switches all the time.

"Found" Mike's grandfather clock wrapped in the garage one day and listened to the story of how Mike's estranged grandfather made it as a peace offering for Mike's mom (who is now deceased) and I knew that I wanted it in the new house. I love the sound that it makes every time it chimes, and I love the story behind it. I put it in the corner of my ugly wall, so I would have something to look at. Then I found this picture on Houzz http://www.houzz.com/pro/susanbetweennapsontheporch/between-naps-on-the-porch (not sure if this link will open or not) and it got me thinking. He had this cool picture of his paternal grandfather cycling (MIke's also a cyclist) and I knew that I wanted to incorporate it near the grandfather clock wall. One picture just didn't seem to do it for me, so he dug up some more old pictures and I found 2 more that I liked. I'm trying to detract from the electrical...but with the plate switches etc, this is the best I could come up with. I thought of mixing up the mirror wall with the photos like in the inspiration picture, but my mirrors are too big and not quite right for it.. (probably a whole different dilemma)... The portraits are visible when sitting on the couch, and when you walk down the staircase. Is this a total no go and should I just find a different spot for them? They could go in the short hall leading to the clock, but that doesn't fix the problem of the ugly light switches. Thoughts?

Comments (42)

• Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Anyone?
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    is it possible to paint these fixtures/outlets the same colour as the wall?
    exceept for the thermostat of course
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Anne. I thought about it, did some reading online and the general consensus is that it looks tacky and starts to chip etc.
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    But perhaps someone out there knows how to do it?
  • Jerome Cole
    10 years ago
    The fact that the light switches and thermostat are not laid out well really hurts its look. If they were lined up neatly, perhaps with their bottom edges all on the same imaginary line, it would help a lot.
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked Jerome Cole
  • Jerome Cole
    10 years ago
    You could also get wooden faceplates for the electrical stuff. There are even electrical sockets available that can match the wood.
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I know...and I'm wondering if putting anything on that wall is helping or hurting it?
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jerome, don't you think that that would just call more attention to them?
  • Jerome Cole
    10 years ago
    I am thinking you should just get an electrician to reposition this stuff for you.
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    :( Can't see that being an expense that Mike will want to fork out! Not with so many other projects going on. But thanks Jerome. Does that mean you think the pictures look awful too high?
  • Sue Geddes
    10 years ago
    I'm not a decorator but I think you may be adding more attention to the switches by hanging items on that wall. What if you angled the clock in the corner and hang the pics on the angled wall stacked ? Not sure if this will work or not. Good luck to you. Maybe someone else can help you more.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    how about a tall bushy plant .But then you will need to remove the pics;-(
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    I can see the light switches reflected in the big long mirror so do you really want all those mirrors there?
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Susan.
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Don't have much of a green thumb, Anne :( But thanks. @2dogs...I know...but it is the only full length mirror in the house and there are 4 girls that use it daily, hourly even ;)
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    another idea is that you could hinge your pictures to hide the outlets'
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So, I'd need different frames then...I'll look into it! Thanks!
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @marniejo I've thought about that. Looking to see where else I could put the clock and would have to buy a table for it.
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    But now I have some ideas. Thanks.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    hinged pics to hide an outlet
  • PRO
    By Design
    10 years ago
    Since the wall is a small space, I would advise not putting anything on this wall. Have you thought about placing the clock against the other wall instead of placing it in the corner?
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Yes, I agree, no art on the wall and relocate the clock.
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    I would put the clock on the other wall or move it to the diagonal wall and put a small credenza with a light to one side away from the thermostat. Add a large basket with other objects on the credenza. Remove the pictures.
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I had it there when I first moved it there but from the couch all you see is the side of the clock and the blank ugly wall. But I think I'll move it and try something else.
  • Chel Girl
    10 years ago
    I would move the clock to the other short wall, take the current art work off the wall (as its current configuration highlights your design problem). I would think about a small half table under the switches that you could put small frames on perhaps a vase with high flowers that would mask the thermostat without interfering with the thermostats function.
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked Chel Girl
  • Niki Posten
    10 years ago
    Don't use wood. They are bulky and the color and depth would make your situation even worse. Try to find plates and switches that are as close to your wall color as possible. I would also move your grandfather clock to another wall - the current space has it squished to one side and doesn't make it the focal point it deserves. You may also consider moving the three pictures somewhere else also. This would draw less attention to your misplaced electrical issues.
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked Niki Posten
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    It doesn't take that much skill to move the light switches a foot or two over so that part of the wall is usable. Same goes for the thermostat. Then you'd have to have the wall repaired, but that isn't too difficult either. That would solve your problem.
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked hayleydaniels
  • Jerome Cole
    10 years ago
    @KMCD I don't think they look awful high. I fact, I think putting them up higher and arranging them more neatly might be your answer. It would distract they eye away from the messy electrical stuff.
  • Jerome Cole
    10 years ago
    Maybe line up the two roughly equal in size above the thermostat and then move the remaining one to the wall on my left.
  • Jerome Cole
    10 years ago
    You could also keep the pictures as they are but add a short credenza or chest. If it was in the same color family as the clock it would tie everything together really well.

If you could put more photos on the credenza without obstructing the light switches you would have it made. The light switches and thermostat would still be usable but not nearly as obvious.
  • PRO
    The Practical Decorator
    10 years ago
    Okay, place nice wooden free hanging shelves like the ones from Pottery Barn. then lean the are up on the shelves. This way you can still get to the light switches but they are not yelling are you. Saying "Look at me"
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked The Practical Decorator
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    Best choice....get an electrician to move switches into one or two neatly ganged panels (like they should have done in the first place). Then patch and paint. Everything else is a Bandaid.
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked qam999
  • face39
    10 years ago
    If the electricals are not moved, I would not hang any art on that wall. Someone suggested a plant. I think that is a good idea too.
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked face39
  • Brown Dog
    10 years ago
    I've had this same problem and it has a pretty easy solution. Remove the tall clock, add a chest of drawers that fills most of the width of your small wall (that will hide the outlets close to the floor), on top of the chest add a couple of lamps and a couple of decorative vases or candles to draw attention away from the upper switchplates and thermostat. That way you still have access to the switches and thermostat but they won't be the focal point. Would also help if you painted the switchplates the same colour as your wall. Good luck!
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked Brown Dog
  • User
    10 years ago
    janet has good advice I would do a chest and a plant myself. No pictures no clock.
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked User
  • T S
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of moving the clock to the diagonal wall, putting in a largish houseplant in its place. House plants are awesome and always draw the eye. If you wanted to go the extra mile I also like the hinged photo/art that ann suggested!
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked T S
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! Will move the clock to the other wall where the large mirror is and create a gallery wall more like my inspiration photo with a mixture of the photos and small mirrors. Will look for a small credenza for the ugly wall or a beautiful large plant (that will probably die shortly there after) I
  • Sarah Smith
    10 years ago
    I would not paint covers the color of the wall, I would continue your gallery wall possibly with some canvas or frames that hide them but have hinges for easy access. See here...

http://pinterest.com/pin/196891814932946643/
    Kathi (kmcd) thanked Sarah Smith
  • rick8888
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    move the clock to the center of the wall allowing hand space to turn light swift on/off also not sure if picture frames are needed.. hope it helps. omg get a plastic plant;)
  • Christian Decor
    7 years ago
    Try a different wall paint and door color. The look is dated IMO. Organize the pics in a finish to match the clock' s metallic features. put them in sizes proportional to the space.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    Old post 2014