Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdeweese

Bathroom remodel gone wrong

jdeweese
10 years ago
Need advice on fixing the bathroom. I did not order the tub nor did I have plumbing moved to front. I was going to do a freestanding then it was a big hassle so I asked for a Venetian tub they installed this huge tub of 42" in depth. I should have made them take it out then, my mistake. Then I sent pics of cab design and to do recessed in middle cab I got kitchen depth cabinets. I have a contractor which is rebuilding after fire who doesn't "see" any problem with bath. Other than move cabinet down a few inches. At this point I just have to fix the problem before tile goes in. Do I get new tub or cabinets. I need to keep cost down and prefer to do one or other.

Comments (58)

• PRO
    LM Designers
    10 years ago
    Move the cabinets away from the tub. I don't know how much room you have but go as far away as you can. Is the toilet the next fixture on that wall? It will all turn out fine in the end. Your tub and cabinets are pretty. Just need to coordinate the rest to look like this was done on purpose. What material is going on the tub deck?
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LM designs you hit it. It's not the counter everything is huge I walk in and see huge cabinets that come half way out to this huge tub. Cabinet person said it will come together when we get top and mirrors. I feel like I see massive of everything. I only have 3 inches to move down then I have three inches of dead space. My solution is smaller tub with 37 inch. So that would give me another 5 inches plus another 3 moving down cabs. What do you think about where hardware is on tub. I feel like it should be at end and not in middle. Or smaller cabinets?

Maybe it's just me and I am tired. It's a nightmare. I honestly have nothing left. The only area that has gone right has been the electrical and hvac. Insurance pays for it except for upgrades. Whatever change I make here will come out of my pocket. Sorry I am venting.

The toilet is on right separated by wall.
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Unwanted advice for comments. Hopefully it doesn't bug me every time. Maybe with tile and trim and granite it will be better. Maybe I am going crazy after 12 months.

I have know idea how we going to tile the wall of tub my builder is going to deal with that.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    FWIW, I think the bathroom looks like it will be beautiful. I wouldn't worry about the granite install. If worse comes to worst, they can uninstall the upper cabinet and reinstall after the granite is in place.

The only thing that concerns me is the tub fittings on the front. That looks to me like an accident waiting to happen. I can imagine myself breaking something important getting in or out of the tub.
  • twinkleberry
    10 years ago
    No expertise to add, but just want to say my heart goes out to you. It would be hard enough to rebuild after a fire, let alone feel as though you have to fight the contractor in the process. I think you're brilliant to come here for help. Good luck, keep us all posted!
  • PRO
    Arc & Angle Home Builders, LLC
    10 years ago
    Did you order kitchen depth cabinets? If not, I would pull the cabinets out and get the right ones in. It will slow the job down, but you won't be thinking about that when its all done and you are enjoying your bathroom. If your plumber can make that tub work, I would focus on fixing the cabinets.
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I don't know about the plumbing. I originally wanted it to the back for freestanding and contractor complained it was not in my budget that it would be huge ordeal to move faucet. He moved from right side to middle with out my permission.

I don't care how long it takes or what it takes. It's over powering the cabinet person never saw the tub. I ordered cabs based off of design wanting the middle to have a recess like I picked out from others. I thought the vanity topper was going to be allot smaller. Its 24 inches. I wanted skinny one with draw. I don't even care if we remove the vanity topper.

No I did not let them make a template for the granite because I stopped everything when I walked in.

Problem is that the builder doesn't design. I don't see a $15k, bathroom. I know tile, window, shower, and all that is expensive but it should reflect a little nicer.

So it appears like I pull cabs out. I am going to get another opinion on plumbing to see and if its done wrong and if so its going to be done properly. Thanks for all the comments.
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    Just a thought on your faucet placement, is to make sure it's easy to turn on and off. You don't want to have to reach across 42“ to try to run the tub. Where they've placed it looks convenient, but we haven't seen the right wall of the tub, so I can't tell if its optimum.
    Also bathroom cabinets are typically 21" deep and 32" tall, instead of the 25" deep and 34" tall that is normal for kitchen. Yours look pretty big, so can you verify that they are only 21" and 32"?
    I know what you are going through, I was constantly "surprised" by decisions our builder made without any consultation. Then having to decide what could be lived with, and what couldn't. Not fun.
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rocketcat. Why is that builder just makes a decision.... Then you have to get stuff correct that was done wrong and I told my builder "that's how it was before". I lived there for 12 years I think I know how was before the fire. Yes the plumbing was suppose to be on the right and because of new tub he moved it. Someone else mentioned about a possible little slip and I don't want to think about what you can hurt.
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    10 years ago
    On larger soaking tubs, the faucets go to the side to allow 2 to enjoy the experience without 1 having the spout digging in the neck. ;-) If it were my room, I'd have wanted the faucet moved to the left sorta "behind" the vanity, so that it was still easy to turn on and off, but so that it would leave the most room to be able to get in and out of the tub. And 2 would still be able to enjoy it!

As far as the cabinets, yeah, I think it's the front to back depth that's causing them to feel larger than they really are. Also, the light color probably makes it seem larger as well. I would have used 21" deep cabinets for the sink bases, and 18" deep cabinets for the drawer base, but that's not available in every cabinet line. Sometimes, compromises have to be made because you have to choose what's available.

Personally, I would remove the to the counter cabinet. It's a personal taste thing with me, but I think they make even large bathrooms seem cramped and small. Especially when they separate the two sinks and interrupt counter space. I do like the one in the corner like unwantedadvice has though! That's a good use of difficult to access space and it's much less in your face. But, it's YOUR bathroom, and if you really like the look, I think making that cabinet shallower might help a bit. But, that will reduce the storage space in it. So, you have to figure out if that little bit of additional storage is worth it to you.
  • PRO
    Creekside Cabinets
    10 years ago
    When we order cabinets for a customer it is very clear upfront what the dimension and layout are and what things will look like. If you just told them that you wanted the middle area recessed then they achieved that with the 24" deep sink bases and 21" deep drawer base. Typically I would have used 21" and 18" deep as ProSource said but not all lines carry those depths. So if it was to meet a certain budget then that may have been their only option to meet your design choice. If they ordered them wrong then by all means I would make them correct the issue. Where the vanity cabinets configured like this before the fire? I'm not sure what you gain by getting a slightly smaller tub and moving the vanity away from the tub. I personally like when the vanity butts up to the tub as they do in your bathroom. If you move them away by a few inches you create a trap for items to fall into and for dirt to collect. Installing the wall cabinet prior to granite install is not an issue and we do it all the time. You do however have to leave room for the granite. I would have preferred the faucet for tub be placed in the far right but it does look like from the pictures that it comes pre-mounted on the tub deck. If it was my bathroom and my money, I would leave the cabinets as is unless it was their error. I would also not spend my money on a new tub if I had to pay but I would have them move the plumbing if it's possible. As far as the wall tower that can always be removed if you really think it is too big. Again, did you specify what width it should be or just leave it up to the cabinet person discretion? I really think the bathroom will look great as is. Most of my client are using standard kitchen height vanity bases (34-34 1/2") and less of the shorter ones (31-31 1/2"). Good luck.
  • PRO
    Mise en Place Design
    10 years ago
    I agree with Creekside. I don't think you need to pull anything out except for maybe moving the plumbing for the tub over so it's not in the way of getting in or out of the tub. What exactly are you not happy with? Are you not happy with how deep the sink bases are? There's no real difference between "kitchen" cabinets versus "vanity" cabinets apart from the traditional height of them. The depth can be whatever the client wants. There's no rules for it.

It's very common to have the cabinet butt up again a built in tub as, like what was already mentioned, it saves you the trouble of having to clean out the space in between and it gains you some valuable square inches of storage.

I don't think you need to do anything drastic unless something was installed that you did not specify or if it was done incorrectly. Personally, I think your project can still turn out nice.
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    When I look at all pics my cabs come out almost to middle of tub. I think you are correct even if i was to put in smaller tub cabinets are going to still come out. I don't want to spend the money but I don't want to walk into my bath and feel the need to hate builder as I do when I open a window or look at guest room closet door. I am going to see if I can't get another pic at another angle. I did not ask for plumbing to be moved from right side and I won't pay for it to be put back. Builder doesn't want to move plumbing he says we would have to cut drywall on ceiling in room below it and it will hold up job. Do you know how much that tub might have cost. It does not have a name brand on it. I should have left over money on tub as I had a $2400 to remove and replace tub I told him I did not want that expensive of a tub.
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Creek side just because you use cabinet height does that mean you have depth of 24 inches can't you get it in 21 inch as that was what I had originally with middle vanity at 18" I know we changed the height but why would that change the depth. I don't care about giving up space.
  • PRO
    Creekside Cabinets
    10 years ago
    You do not have to get 24"deep just because you have kitchen height. However, not all cabinet brands have kitchen height vanity cabinets. You said you are replacing what was there but it also sounds like you 've make changes/upgrades. Did you get anything in writing as to what you expected as far as widths and depths? Not sure what the tub would cost because they come in such a wide price range. An air or jet tub could easily be $2400 but a soaking tub should run less. I would have a sit down conversation with your GC before things go much further and compare what was quoted to what your are getting and put all your expectations in writing.
  • m3459
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    jdeweese,

Let's cut to the chase here. The reason you have 24-inch deep cabinets is because they are cheaper for the contractor. You can have 21-inch vanity cabinets at 36 inches, but they are more expensive and then have to be built up on a base of 2x4s and then trimmed out to get to 36 inch height. All of this requires actual forethought and caring and of course, cuts into your contractor's profit margin. And then there's the middle cabinet to be recessed from 21 inch depth cabinets. More work, less money for the contractor. See where this is going? That's why it all "looks fine" to him.

I see another problem on your horizon, I believe. The bathroom sinks are not installed yet. It appears the wall cabinet is significantly bigger than that recessed middle cab. Depending on if the sinks have to be installed in the middle of the cabinets, you may have a goofy looking configuration with the oversized wall cabinet and location of the bathroom sinks.

I'm so sorry you are having these problems. Bathrooms and kitchens require enormous amounts of forethought and most contractors don't seem to have the ability to grasp that concept. You are NOT WRONG in your thoughts and don't let anyone you are paying money to tell you otherwise! Sorry for the rant, I just got caught up in your design dilemma and am feeling your frustration.
  • PRO
    Creekside Cabinets
    10 years ago
    m3459 I can not speak for other cabinet companies but the lines that I carry have both 31" tall vanity cabinet and 34.5" tall vanity cabinets (depth 21"). The 34.5" tall vanity is NOT more expensive than the 24" deep by 34.5" kitchen cabinet. We have not been given enough information to say the GC is at fault for what has happened. Who ordered the cabinets and did you and/or the GC approve the dimensions. If it was the error of the GC or the cabinet company than I would certainly make them correct the cabinets.
  • PRO
    HAMPTON FORD DESIGN
    10 years ago
    jdeweese…do you see what i mean about the pre-drilled deck on the tub? You won't be able to have him move the faucet to the left or right. Current position, or under the window is only option on that tub. The faucet is already designed to be on the sides. If the drain is in the center of the tub, he should be able to just turn it around…if the drain is at the end he'll have to move the drain.

It's probably a $600 tub…but I'm sure he gets a trade discount. But there were labor costs to remove the original, build the tub surround, install new one, and do the plumbing. Depending on what part of the country you are in, that could have easily eaten up the full $2400.

Can you just lose that upper cabinet? I put my hand over it in the picture and the room already looks better.
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    I agree with MJ at this point the only thing that seems out of place is the upper cabinet, especially since its wider than the recessed lower cabinet that it sits above. Imagine the space without it, even though it may not be exactly what you used to have. As previous poster said its so wide may throw off the balance of the the sinks placement. I think it would look better and more spacious and open without it. Fabulous mirrors and lighting will really make the vanity area perfect and your cabinets are beautiful! I'm sorry you're so stressed over this, it will be all be fine, even though every decision now seems tough.
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I went back and found email thank goodness for in writing. I did not order those size cabinets. I ordered 21 inch depth and 18 inch recessed with 2 decorative post on either side. I will eat cost of vanity. I am getting all new. Cabinet person could not do different height in middle, so that's when I went recessed. Now we can't do recessed unless we keep current cabinets. So now how do I get cabs of 84 inch thats something nice. On a tight time line. My husband suggested that we go to cabinet maker who does nice work but then we have to paint ourselves. I don't trust our painting.

On the tub that is for only installation of tub not all the hardware. My cost of tub is $1300 and I don't think he spent that. I am going up to Home Depot getting the tub I want and he is installing it. Venetian tub like I asked. I am not paying for that other tub. Drain kit, faucet we have extra funds for that. I had a really nice house and all I wanted was it to be put back that way. I am so frustrated because I spend hours every week getting all details and then it doesn't happen. I know the back I can't get tile behind it. There's no room and we have to take dry wall out and get proper boards. Why the drywall was done idk because we are tiling and need water proof kind.

This is the hardest remodel that you can possibly work for. I sometimes feel so bad because I see so many trying to remodel on dimes. Then I get to remodel with a nice budget and I hate it. all i want is my old house back even the outdated stuff I did not like.

Sorry started venting. How do I get cabs this late in the rebuild??
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rocketj. Should I trim out mirror or buy individual. I wanted to do lights like wall scones so I can do that now. I have to pick paint tonight for master and this bath. At this point I may just flip a coin on the chart and call it good.

On the positive side I saw a great pic of black trim paint and I did it for my son and did his ceiling and it looks so GREAT. It will be my first picture I have that I am proud to say is mine.
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    10 years ago
    Each of the Pro's on this thread all have good and valid points. What I'm noticing is the middle cabinet that is 21" deep so it has to be tall vanity cabinet it is 21" deep! I would think this means the cabinet company also carries 21" deep tall vanity sink cabinets and would probably also offer 18" deep, which is what the center cabinet should have been.

If you have signed paperwork to prove you order typical 21" deep cabinets, then the GC would be responsible to fix the mistake. If you don't have the proof of sizes and what was ordered, then sorry to say then you could be stuck. I would also suggest, like Creekside Cabinets Inc., sit down with the GC and have a talk, see what can be worked out. More importantly, you need to clarify what else is happening in the space to make sure you are both on the same page to prevent any other future mistakes.

With that said, I was looking at the construction of the cabinetry. It looks like it might not be that hard to have a local cabinet/ furniture maker cut the cabinets the depth down from the back. The finished end panels are loose since they haven't been applied, so the can be cut down as well to fit. I would recommend calling a local cabinet/ furniture makers take a look to make sure it can be done. Since I have experience with this, I bet in can be done for less than ordering new cabinets and faster. Now, it might not be as easy to do this with the upper wall cabinet. If the upper cabinet came with a loose end panel like the base, it should be able to remove the panel and the trim around the bottom then there is a chance it can be done. Changing cabinets or make existing cabs into a shorter 21" depth would make a bigger impact to the space than dealing with a new tub.

If you decide to keep the 24" deep cabinet, PLEASE make sure they install the sink up toward the front edge of countertop. Follow the manufacturer's specification on how far back the sink should be from the front edge. This distance typically should be around 2" to 2-1/2" from front edge but can vary. DO NOT center the sink front to back, it will be too far back and unusable. I have seen one of my do-it-yourselfer clients make this mistake by not following the design plans. He ended up having to buy a second countertop to fix the mistake.

Plumbing- As M J Hampton Design has stated, the plumbing looks like a pre-drilled deck and integrated into the tub. So it cannot be moved. So the only option you have is to keep it where it is, or is to reverse it by turning around like MJ recommended, or purchase a new tub. I would think it is best to keep the tub.

If I might say, this is why an interior designer or NKBA Kitchen and Bath Specialist are worth their weight in gold. We keep our client's from making costly mistakes.
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    10 years ago
    You posted your new comments before I posted mine. I just finished reading your posts.

If you found the information of what you ordered in writing, why would you pay for the new cabinets?
  • PRO
    Mise en Place Design
    10 years ago
    Agreed. If that is not what your ordered and you have documentation you should NOT have to buy anything. The company you purchased the cabinets from are responsible for fulfilling your order as they specified. Period. If they did not check the order or if it came in wrong then they need to make it right.
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Because its different Mortgage company holds funds and I pay in payments. I have a work order completed by insurance. It has every single item laid out in detail so any changes I pay extra or a credit comes back to me.

I hired contractor this is who they use there not bad I just cant get what i want and now it is so late in the game.

My husband asked about cutting them back and they said the integrity of the cabinets is compromised?
  • stuntchick
    10 years ago
    move the faucet in the tub to the back. Flooring should of been done before the cabinet installation.
  • stuntchick
    10 years ago
    tub should be focal point get rid of the cabinet next to it. cabinets are too wide for that space it seems. looks awkward how they have it.
  • Carol Johnson
    10 years ago
    A good cabinet person can trim the depth of the cabinets. After they are installed, there isn't an issue of strength or integrity. This would be the fastest way. I agree with others, talk with GC, bring all your information & documents. If cabinets weren't ordered per specification, they should be fixed or reordered. Good luck with your rebuild.
  • stuntchick
    10 years ago
    don't fall for contractors giving excuses. It does'nt look right have them move the faucets. Ask him would this be a good representative of your work??? He's the expert. He should of seen that the faucet looks wrong in the front of the tuub and that the cabinets hide the tub, which should be a focal point.
  • stuntchick
    10 years ago
    i went thru a fire rehab and 10 years later i'm still finding mistakes just because i was stressed and gc wanted to move on to another project. Bottom line, you are paying for this.
  • PRO
    Stone Age Crafters LLC.
    10 years ago
    Good morning
    I really don't know what's going on to detail other than you're not happy
    If what you have installed now was agreed by you too and you just didn't have any idea of what it meant than
    its the contractor fault for not explaining and yours for not asking.
    If that's the case go to him calmly as a friend and just tell him that you're not happy how can you guys work together to fix it?
    meet at the middle.

Now if it's just his fault than he should fix it
    Legal process should start right away on your part.
    Tell him you thought he was professional.

no matter what happens we always try our best for the customer to be happy
    satisfaction always a priority.

Just don't attack him and you'll have a better chance for him to work with you.
    maybe he'll do free labor
    you can actually return the big items
    and just pay for other materials such as
    drywall,plywood,paint,caulk etc..
    all the small items.
    He puts the labor and you take care of the items
    At the end of the project is just a misunderstanding that together got fixed.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Haven't read all the comments, but I think one thing you could do to not make the upper cabinet look so "massive," is to put narrow reeded glass in them. I think that would lessen the heavy look. I don't quite understand why the middle cabinet is recessed, but that should be easily fixed.

One other comment-- and difficult to really tell with just the photo onscreen-- but I recently had some built-in bookshelves made, and when the carpenter, who is fantastic, first brought them upstairs-- I thought (and said), "Oh wow-- these are massive-- just way too big." But he knew they would look right, once installed-- and they did. They looked so huge, but by the time he had them in-- they looked like they came with the house (and this is a 90 year old house). They're perfect. So sometimes I think that when things aren't all in their proper place and finished completely, everything looks out of place.

I also agree with the person above that I would probably eliminate the cabinet closest to the tub-- though that might throw everything off. ?
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Sorry-- I just now read your post about replacing everything. I would go with an expert carpenter next time. This is why I never go with a GC; I don't get to pick and choose my own carpenter, etc. So unless you choose a GC who is an expert, and all people under him/her are experts at what they do-- better to be your own GC. Find an excellent carpenter (through word-of-mouth is great) and an excellent painter.

And possibly take the existing cabinetry and tub to Habitat, if you're not going to use them.
  • PRO
    Stone Age Crafters LLC.
    10 years ago
    Please tell me how all the work being done is being paid?
    Also by who?
    That's really important
    If you're not happy don't chop any cabinets or move anything
    Just completely stop everything.

Its our job and responsibility as professionals to help our clients visualize
    The whole project.
    If we can't do that than its wrong.

A client needs to visualize the end product.
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I worked everything out with GC he is working out cost associated with everything since it was not what was confirmed. All that is fine.

I am getting new cabs I just need to find what I like. Tomorrow I am on a shopping trip. But thank you for all the comments I thought maybe it was me being emotional and it helped to know they were to big and faucet wasn't in good location. Now is the time do get it like I want it. Advice means so much to me, emotionally it helps me get thru this. This is very very new to me and i appreciate all the support.
  • happynons
    10 years ago
    What is the color/finish on your cabinets. They appear to be a pearl white which is lovely. What brand? Thank you.
  • bitterswt02
    10 years ago
    Um not sure what the issue is. But what I see as an aesthetic issue is the fact that the end bottom cabinet kisses up to the tub? Is this the problem if so, and you don't need the extra storage why no consider removing that cabinet and extending the counter top all the way thorugh to make a vanity space that kisses up to the bathtub instead? Alternatively you could make a stone surfaced faux wall to prevent water damage to the cabinets.

[houzz=
    Miami Beach - by PepeCalderinDesign - Interior designers Miami - Modern · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Feldman Architecture · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Beacon Hill Master Bathroom · More Info
    ]

Sorry you're sad about your build project. Hope this helps.
  • countbla
    10 years ago
    One extra "gotcha" using kitchen cabinets in a bathroom is the increased distance to the mirror... Whether it's for shaving or makeup that extra 4-5" may be annoying... If you end up not changing them, consider how to incorporate one or two of those small mirrors on a swing arm in the design.

On the tub taps, centered looks nice when you see all of the tub's width... Right now it looks odd because it's not centered in the part that is not covered by the vanity.
  • PRO
    M Squared Builders and Remodelers
    10 years ago
    I'm sitting here reading all these comments and can't help but chime in. I apologize ahead of time if I come off a little rude but I just want to get a point across.

This bathroom is a complete nightmare!! So many things wrong with it I don't know where to start. Besides the obvious cabinets, where is the floor tile?? Maybe I just can't see it but it doesn't look like it's there. And the cabinets are installed. Nothing is even painted. And what's going on around the tub?? Why is that drywall?? It's not even moisture resistant drywall. My goodness. Your now talking about wall sconces. Why weren't those ruffed in when the walls were opened up?? What a backwards operation

I'm sorry for the rant it just makes me so mad when homeowners fall for some line of bs from a contractor who has no business being in the bathroom. Let me guess, he was the cheapest??Happens all the time. Now look who is stuck with the headache all over a few bucks. Terrible!!!Whoever did this work should be ashamed of himself and so should the home owners for allowing it. I'm done
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    xmerk44x: I agree that typically the floor would go down first before cabinetry and tub. Painting, however, would be done last, I would think. I'm not sure how you can tell whether that's moisture-resistant drywall or not (?)-- but I agree with your other comments. This is, as I stated above, why I typically do not go with a GC, unless I know that the GC is a solid expert at what he/she does and has excellent subcontractors. Regardless-- and no matter how good the GC and subcontractors are-- the homeowner still has to have a pretty concrete idea of what he wants and how he wants it to ultimately look. It's up to the (hopefully) knowledgable contractors to point out if something simply cannot be done (impossible because of the house structure or building codes, etc).

Bitterswt02 offered some good ideas. I like the photo sample on the right with the blue penny rounds. That type of layout could easily be done in the above bathroom. But for the original poster-- if you plan on getting new cabinets, have them lay down the floor first-- unless it is already there, but I couldn't tell that,either.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Your are right to a degree. But the time that it takes the simple cut and roll the calls vs cutting around all the new cabinets makes a difference. Plus it is a much cleaner look.

As far as how I know the Sheetrock isn't moisture resistant?? The color. Where I live moisture resistant sheet rock is green. But there should absolutely been some type of cement board around the tub. Not Sheetrock. Even moisture resistant sheet rock will not hold up for long. Any knowledgable gc should know that. Which proves my point that this guy has no business being in that bathroom
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Which is a much cleaner look? Any tiler worth his salt will tile the floor first-- then the cabinets are put in. The cleaner look is definitely the floor going down first. I've actually never seen it done any other way with a new renovation.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Dianahb-like I said if you had read my post, painting is a much cleaner look. I also said that the tile floor should be don't first. Which 99% of people already know..except the guy working on this bathroom. Unless they shim the cabinets off the floor with enough clearance for the tile..which doesn't look like that was don't either

Throw this guy out of your house before it is too late!!!
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    xmerk44x: I did read your post, but it was a bit ambiguous. I was confused-- as ever. :) But as someone posted early on, I'm guessing this might have been the cheapest contractor? You don't always have to go with the most expensive, for sure, but going with the cheapest -- there's usually a reason why that person might be so much less expensive than the other guys. I agree-- throw him out of the house.
  • PRO
    Mise en Place Design
    10 years ago
    xmerk44k, it is not necessary to lay the tile first. There have been several project I've worked on that this was the case as well as laying tile first. If your tile installer is good, then the install can be seamless in either case. The only area of concern when dealing with tile and shimming up cabinets is when you're dealing with appliances, like dishwashers or refrigerators as those kinds of things need to be either on top of the tile (or flooring in general) or in the case of the dishwasher, have enough clearance to get the unit out if necessary.
    As another pro mentioned already, it's important to know the facts about what money is going where and how things were agreed, or not, agreed upon before jumping to conclusions. That portion is still not clear. And ultimately, if the client isn't happy, then they need to stop work and sort out the issues before agreeing to anything else being installed or worked on.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Miss en- I completely agree with you. But I'm sure that in the instances where you have installed cabinets prior to laying the floor, it needed to be done that way. Weather the tile was on back order or the vanity had to be installed to ruff in the plumbing, I'm sure that application was warranted. All I'm saying is that it is MUCH easier to do it first. And any knowledgeable GC and homeowner should know that
  • jdeweese
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am taking cabinets out and around tub we are adding dura rock. The sheet rock guys just put it up. Because they did not know. Contractor was like that is no big deal will take it out. I was told it is much harder to level cabinets on tile vs sub floor. But since cabinets are coming out we can tile first and also paint the walls.

I did not have a choice on the sub contractor. I did give pics of what I wanted and was told they could do that. I am having to start all over in bath. I did not order that big of cabs. In the mean time I had to deal with issues on kitchen cabs. They open and some hit the next cabinet. Since we have a pantry and fridge that come out further. I will get a pick and post. After 6 months of remodel I am so ready to be done.

Thank you again for all comments. I read them all and they are a huge support.
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

You know you can usually get 21" and 18" deep vanity cabinets so you don't have to go to 24" depth to make the difference between the sink base and the drawer base.

• millworkman
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hope they have it solved by now as it's 3 years laters.....................