Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocketjcat

Need advise on window coverings for big windows in timber-frame house.

rocketjcat
10 years ago
Thank you in advance for any ideas on how to cover these windows. Some background: we live on a lake and privacy is not an issue. When we were building my husband would not agree to any window coverings... He didn't even want mullions on these windows, in case they blocked his view. I got my mullions on the other 3 sides of the house, but not this one. Well now with the price of propane up so much, he thinks we're losing a lot of heat out them at night, despite using very energy efficient Eagle windows. They are tall, the top of the top window is about 14 feet so uppers might need to be on some sort of electric gizmo? They would be open during the day. The house is timber frame and has craftsman furnishing. There's also an in swing French door in this room thats also naked. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (30)

• rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! When you say straight across the top... How far up are you calling the top? The top of the curved window? What about the 2 separate small windows at the sides outside the posts? Roman shades there to go with the French door?
  • PRO
    HAMPTON FORD DESIGN
    10 years ago
    take the rod about 4 or 5 inches above the top curved window. Yes Id do romans on the smaller windows on the other walls. Can you attach a pic of what happens above the window? (beam is in the way in the photo) I see some wood that looks like maybe it arches up over it?
  • rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes you're exactly right, there is a curved beam over the window. Although I love the idea of curtains all across, I'm afraid that to clear the top of the curved window the rod would hit the curved beam, and not give the panels enough space to pull outside of the windows. Here is a better top picture. Would it look weird to have the rod at the top of the rectangular windows and have the foot or so of curved window exposed? Probably...
  • PRO
    HAMPTON FORD DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Ah…i was afraid of that. yes that changes the situation.
  • PRO
    HAMPTON FORD DESIGN
    10 years ago
    If the windows did have mullions you could run the rod across just at the top of the rectangular part as you said (that way the line of the rod would not draw so much attention to itself). The other option is shades but…ugh. It's crying out for tall curtains. I'm not even sure the bottom of the arch lines up with the top of the rectangular windows…it dips a little below. The architect did not make it easy for us :)
  • rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Right. The bottom of the arch is about 6" lower than the top of the rectangular window frame. If a rod ended inside the curved part (at the top of the rectangular window frame) there would be about 18" on each side of the window for the curtains to pull open past the glass. The window is about 7' wide, so that's probably not enough space. Ugh.
  • rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Forgot to add picture.
    This room would be awesome with drapes there, but I don't know how it can happen. :(
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    10 years ago
    Rocketjcat, "stackback" is generally approximately 20-25 percent of the total area that is covered. Therefore, if your window area is 7 feet wide, plus the 18" on each side of the windows, your stackback would be about 15" on each side of the window/wall expanse, so the draperies could clear the glass completely.
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    10 years ago
    Here is a rendering with two places which are key to determining if your draperies could clear the window and/or trim... If you can provide those measurements, we can let you know what might work for you.
  • rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, I will try to get those numbers later tonight.
  • rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The upper measurement at about 5" higher than the curve is 96". The distance to the outside of the window frame from that vertical drop is 5". We were thinking that curtains as wide as possible on a traverse rod could be opened as far as possible and tied back at about 6 feet high during the day.( 6 feet is where the upper and lower windows meet) This would probably clear most of the glass except the very top corners. Would that look ok? Does it have to be exactly 5" higher than the top of the curve? Can it be a little less than that?
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    10 years ago
    Higher is better because: If you use a 2" diameter rod that is mounted with the top of the rod 5" above the high point, the top of the drapery panel is about 2 1/2" above the top of the window. For windows as tall as yours, your pleated heading should be about 9", which means that part of the pleating would show from the outside. However, in your case, the priority is to mount it as high as possible, and taking into account the depth of your upper trim, and the angle of the view from outside, that would be less objectionable that not being able to clear the windows as much.
    You are right, that drawing the draperies back at the window break, is a natural spot for your eyes to rest and connect to. But having draperies tied back six feet up is going to be challenging to reach to open and close. Also, draperies that are tied back will almost always obtain some wrinkles along the tied back area, which may not appeal to you when they are fully closed.
    An alternative method of drawing them back is Italian Stringing, which would work in your situation and allow you to pull a cord to draw the draperies back without having to reach up six feet in the air to use a tieback or holdback.
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    10 years ago
    Here is a rendering of the draperies as you had mentioned. Keep in mind that the top of the drapery panel (nearest the rod) will not cover as much of the window as is shown in the rendering. It is just the way the drapery panel component of my program looks.
  • rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow that is fabulous! Thank you so much. I can't wait to show my husband in the morning. I know it's usually recommended to not tie the curtains back farther out so they still hang down straight at the outer edge, but in this case do you think it would look ok to tie them back close to the vertical posts? I was thinking that the angles created by this at the top would be in line with the curve of the beam and also would fill up the space between the window frame and the post. Just a thought. I will investigate your tieback method since lots of wrinkles would annoy me. Thanks so much for all your help!
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    10 years ago
    Here is another rendering, which accomplishes your recent suggestion about filling the entire open space between the vertical posts. This option covers up the architectural detail of the staggered window heights and moldings, but accents the architectural detail of the arch. Just a little food for thought.
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    Leave top multi levels bare. Do the other bottom half. Too beautiful to cover all up!
  • rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks SK! The second rendering got a big thumbs down from the still groggy husband, but we do like the first one. Is it possible to see the first with the point of the tie back closer to the vertical posts? Or is that a big no-no?
    Regarding the 2 neighboring windows, do you think the roman shades should be hung outside the frame or inside? Thanks so much for your advise.
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    10 years ago
    I should have said at the beginning that MJ Hampton hit the nail on the head and I agree with those suggestions, including the mechanism to tie the draperies back. Because of your beautiful trim work, I would recommend inside mount roman shades. Since you have so much room above the windows, and in order to balance the large center window treatments, I would suggest some art or decorative element above the 2 neighboring windows, but you can decide on what you need after the window treatments are installed.
    Also, I agree with your groggy husband about the second rendering the treatment was taking over the room.
    Let me see if I can manipulate the draperies on the rendering to be tied back closer to the vertical posts. Give me a couple of minutes...
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    10 years ago
    Okay, here is a revised rendering. The left drapery panel shows the panel hanging from the rod above, and tied back at the window break to meet the outer vertical post. This results in an uncovered wall area at the top half of the drapery, and the outer panel edge will fall in a diagonal line on the left side, and, if the panels are just to the floor in length of just off of the floor, this will shorten the drapery length on the left side also. The inner (leading edge) of the panel will also be shorter because it is tied back, but that is not objectionable. I would find the left shorter side by the post to be unappealing.

The right side panel shows the panel hanging from the rod, but the top outer edge follows the shape of the curved trim and meets the right side vertical post. This results in the top wall being covered with the drapery panel and the hem line will be even at the right side. This will require a template to be made of the upper wall area and a frame to be made that the drapery top and pleats can be attached to, similarly to the arched drapery panel rendering that I had sent last night. It is kind of a hybrid of the two options. A skilled drapery workroom can do this properly. I don't know what area your home is in, but I could probably refer someone to you that could help you with this project.

Keep in mind that in these renderings, the draperies (at least to me) seem to overtake the room. They really will not do so - it is the perspective of the photo and the computer rendering components that make the pleats and folds seem so large. If you choose a medium or lighter fabric, the panels will not seem so heavy and prominent, and will complement the architectural details and scale of the room.
  • rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much. We do like the left rendering better...I understand what you're saying that the outside and inside lengths will both shorten when tied back but I don't think it will significant enough for it to bother me, the way that I'm sure it would not be acceptable to a professional such as yourself. We are in the boondocks in upstate New York, but if you do have any contacts in the Syracuse or Rochester areas we would appreciate it. I hope can gently prepare my husband for the price tag!
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    10 years ago
    I have a wonderful contact in the Rochester area! She is super talented and you will love working with her. Her name is Peggy Morgans and you can check out her website and blog at Parkway Window Works. She is superb and I am happy you are in her area! Tell her that SK Designs sent you...you are in good hands with her!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I would put roman shades on smaller windows on far side. As far as losing heat I don't think so. With the good glass you have. I would leave as they are. They look like a frame for your view outside. Don't cover it.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Remove what ever that is on middle window. Doesn't work. Stop trying to fix perfection. Your husband is right.
  • rocketjcat
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ah Travis, you've spotted my heron. It's a stained glass piece I made a few years ago, we propped it up there temporarily to see if it looked ok, before we hang it up higher up in the curved window. My guess is that's a 'no' huh? That's ok, I have. Other places.
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    Stain glass can be pretty in a window, the kitchen, office,den, bathroom, china cabinet.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Show hubby the estimate for all the drapes and he'll welcome a propane bill.
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    Still is a shame to cover the upper part of window.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Curtains are just not going to look right. Have the rep from Eagle windows come out and show how well the expensive double or triple pane windows are working.

If you can afford a Mercedes you shouldn't have to ask how much gas is.
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    Hunter Douglas cellor shades with remote. Give them a call.