Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geauxhookem

ISLAND DREAMIN' - Need a Kitchen Island But Worried About Space.

geauxhookem
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We are closing on a home very soon and my wife would like a kitchen island. The problem is that we don't have a ton of space (width) wise, but do have some space length wise. Ideally, she would like the island to contain good storage, bench or bar stool seating, wine refrigerator, slide out microwave drawer. We won't be plumbing it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions based upon our kitchen picture?! Please keep in mind that there is a table a chairs as you walk into the kitchen not shown in this photo. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Looks tight for an island. You will need at least 42" clearance all around it.
    geauxhookem thanked sstarr93
  • PRO
    Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Howdy Longhorns fan! Sorry to say, there is no happy way to do an island with all the features on your wife's wish list... Looks like a pleasant kitchen - seems to be set up for a double fridge - or fridge and freezer combo. And looks like a v. nice quality range.

But seems clear that you have about 8 1/2 ft from counter to counter across this space. and probably only at most 8 ft from front of range to front of refrig. And while I sometimes see a good plan with a little less than the 42" space sstar mentions, you simply don't have room here for anything but perhaps a mini-butcher block island - for a bit of transfer surface amid-ships.

And seems best to leave your seating at the table only.

When you get your refrig and table set in place, I think this will be quite nice as it is!

Enjoy your new home! Mark
    geauxhookem thanked Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    If you put in a narrow island you will lose your working triangle. You'll need to walk around the island to get the stove/sink/refrigerator. It may be more annoying than enjoying the island space.
    geauxhookem thanked Darzy
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Depending on the length of the room, you might be able to have an island or, better, a work table beginning just past the end of the cabinetry run, across from the doorway (similar one I designed, below).
    Another option would be to make a small peninsula, instead of an island....
    geauxhookem thanked sstarr93
  • geauxhookem
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I added another picture that shows the depth we have to work with. We outlined the proposed island footprint with trash bags that measure 9 feet by 4 feet. The picture I initially uploaded was a bit misleading so we went to the house to get additional photos.
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    Good idea to lay the trashbags out like that. Now, to see how it would be, find something like a desk to put there for a week or so, and see how it impacts the flow of the room. Once you know that, you'll know if it's doable. And if that layout doesn't work, keep working on it until you decide the island will work, or it's just not doable.
    geauxhookem thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    Blue River Cabinetry Kitchen & Bath
    10 years ago
    When placing a permanent island it will need electrical to it. Are you sure you want to mess with that beautiful flooring to run electrical wires?
    geauxhookem thanked Blue River Cabinetry Kitchen & Bath
  • geauxhookem
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! We will be running electrical to the island. The home is pier and beam so it shouldn't be as difficult as slab from my understanding. I'm thinking we might as well plumb it to add more appeal for resale. The wine fridge and the microwave drawer are things that I want if I'm being honest. The wife isn't sold on those as she feels it will take away valuable storage space. Also, part of the island would be an overhang for four bar stools so we would really only get storage space on half the island. While we are at it we might as well add lighting I would imagine. I don't like where this is going :)
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Where will the dining table and chairs go?
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    I suggest moving in and use the kitchen as it is. Then think about an island. You may find there is no need for an island . . . or you bought the wrong house.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    You need a minimum of 3' (36") of free space on all sides of an island imo. 42" is ideal.
  • PRO
    Blue River Cabinetry Kitchen & Bath
    10 years ago
    It won't be as difficult on a raised foundation. I would really think about how your appliances will be taken in and out of this kitchen once the island is in place, the picture could be misleading but it looks like it might be difficult.
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    Angle it.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    Another solution (if you find you need an island) would be an island on casters. I have one made by John Boos & Company that is stainless steel with a butcher block top.