andreweverest

Which reproduction Eames lounge chair and ottoman to buy

andreweverest
I've been doing a lot of research on reproduction Eames lounge chairs & ottomans. I have found what appear to be good quality pieces at instylemodern.com ($800) Manhattan Home Design ($1,000) and The Modern Source ($1,000), and Rove Concepts ($1,800). Before I make this decision based on a photo from the internet, I'd be interested to know if others have purchased from these vendors and what their experiences were. I am definitely not going to pay thousands more for the Herman Miller version, so spare me that. Thanks.
http://www.modern-source.com/collections/lounge-chairs/products/eames-lounge-chair-ottoman
http://manhattanhomedesign.com/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman.html
http://www.instylemodern.com/Molded-Plywood-Eaze-Lounge-Chair-in-Aniline-Leathe-p/8885.htm

• Blake Webb
    last year

Does anyone have any experience with thhe Decorific NYC version? I'm just starting down the rabbit hole and UF/MHD seem to be the big ones everybody mentions but I just heard from someone who has a Decorific version and is also very satisfied.

• alx roata
    last year

Different suppliers was also my guess after researching both products. I wish i could buy the UF version but they don't deliver to EU. Buying directly from Yadea is an option (i sent them an email earlier and I'm waiting for reply). As to the hardware... I actually prefer the Vitra. Both advertise the use of injected polyurethane foam but only MHD states that it is memory foam while UF states high resilience foam. This may be the reason why MHD cushions have been known to be somewhat harder and with a longer break in period. In my experience quality memory foam keeps its shape longer but the feeling when sitting is not to everyone's taste, just like bed mattresses. Question : does the MHD plywood shell have the inner part veneered the same way the exterior surface? I asked the MHD rep via online chat and stated that indeed the shells are veneered on both sides but pictures show that it is cheap ash veneer on the inner shell.

POLL: Love to lounge? Pick the chair you'd like to have in your living room!

I almost used an Eames style "Oslo" chair and footrest in the new living room, but my husband (after much dragging around galleries) picked a more contemporary dual-recliner sofa, and we had my mom pick the remaining "guest" chair. We ended up with something no designer or pro-decorator would ever come up with: FIVE recliners in one room!

buying reproduction eames lounge chair and ottomon

We bought a Kardiel brand one about 3years ago and it has been great from both a comfort and quality perspective so far. Good luck!

Which color to choose? Eames Lounge Chair

Naturally its a subjective to ones taste but I like the chair in the darker color. Light brown looks very "70's" but not in a good way! Personally I have a Rove Reproduction in a dark cordovan color that we are very happy with. Our room is not very contemporary and it works. Looking at the picture I'd go with black. The grey's are in the palate. Im not a fan of the lounger in white.

Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman: Reupholster

Lynartist....you really make a good point. I live in a small city and honestly havent researched upholsters in the area, which I will do. Yeah...i was shocked that herman miller charged 5K to reupholster. I will start researching local options. Strange....I responded to this post last night because somone posted and their post is no longer showing up. Anyways, thanks to those who posted on an old thread. Have to start saving pennies for college with a 3 year old a twins due in a month! :)
  • Brad
    last year

I had the MHD for a couple years. Yes, the inside of the shell has the same veneer as the outside but is not oiled/stained or clear coated like the outside...but that is how the real chair is too, btw.

• S.C Grimaldi
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hello! I was wondering if someone had recommendations to buy an excellent replica of the Eames Lounge chair in Canada.

From what I have read UF in the US has one of the best replicas since they are YADEA. I saw a website that recommends FurnishPlus.ca and additionally I have found EternityModern, both in Canada. I have talked to both companies and they confirmed to me that they don't sell YADEA chairs but that rather have their own manufacturing facility and couldn't tell me more details. They assembled the chairs before shipping them to you so if they are indeed YADEA boxes you would never be able to tell... Couldn't find enough info to tell how good their replicas might really be. Swatches seem good quality on both (although imo FP's aniline looks and feels almost exactly the same to their top grain option).

Additionally I found that there used to be another Canadian company that used to sell pretty good replicas apparently : IFN Modern. However they have been out of business for some time now.

I have also found Office Chairs Canada which sells their replicas on Amazon.ca, Best Buy and Staples under the name "Nicer Furniture". They offer standard and tall chairs. Folks seem to like their Palisander / Black chair for the most part on Amazon.ca and price is reasonable but there's either mixed reviews or no reviews at all on other options.

Anyways I was hoping someone has an insight or recommendation in regards to these companies replicas and buying replicas in Canada in general :) Thanks in advance!!

• edamdnah
    last year

Sorry I can't offer any feedback on the Canadian companies you have listed. I can only add one into the mix. Barcelona Designs has a nice looking Vitra version of the Eames chair, and the reviews seem positive.

• S.C Grimaldi
    last year

@edamdnah thank you very much for your response, Barcelona Designs seem to have a nice looking version indeed but they seem very overpriced compared to the other stores. The version I am particularly interested in aniline with palisander, hopefully the veneer in replicas are good quality! (the walnut seems way too dark)

• edamdnah
    last year

I have Palisander veneers on my chair and chose it over walnut because I enjoy the contrast in the grain. If you like the more even color of the walnut but are concerned about the dark color, having the chair in a sunny room can mellow that color out. While some woods get darker with age, walnut turns from dark chocolate brown, to a blond tan color. Many shops now claim to use UV protectants on their finish, but I'm not sure if that protects from natural color change, sun bleaching, or both. There's an article Here that gives es examples. The Herman Miller chair we saw a couple weeks ago was so faded from the bright sun in the showroom looked so faded, I didn't recognize it a walnut.

• Laurits Bjerre

what site should i use within the EU?

Light House Design

Just bought the Icons of Manhattan Eames Replica. The chair is way too low to the ground to be usable. It also looks like a miniature chair. It's so low that when you use it with the matching ottoman all the blood flows out of your legs, as the ottoman is higher than the chair. In order the make it useful I came up with a couple solutions. The easiest is to replace the feet with castors. I bought a set of 5 online for $16. Luckily they have the same stem as the feet, so you simply pop the feet out and insert the castors (10 seconds). That gets you up about 1 3/4" , but still not enough. Then, I cut wood blocks to fit between the chair base and the stand, which raised it another 1 1/2". Now I have a usable chair. Because of the design, you can't see the wood blocks unless you are crawling on the floor. I also make the front and rear blocks different lengths, because the back of the chair is so much lower than the front that it's almost impossible to get out of. So this corrected the angle without compromising the design.

• davidhunternyc

Why oh why buy a replica to begin with? A friend of mine bought an original flawless Brazilian rosewood 2nd gen Eames lounge chair and ottoman for $4,000. Original feathers and foam. $1500 is too much to spend on a fake. $8,000 is too much to spend on a Herman Miller version which isn’t as good as the original. Buy old. They won’t their value either.

• davidhunternyc

I have researched Eames chairs for years. When my roommate was in the position to get a lounge chair I encouraged him to study, study, study. That's what he did. He considered these reproductions you are talking about too. We also went to Herman Miller and Design Within Reach and we picked apart all of the flaws (and there are many) with the "authorized" versions. Then I said, O.K., we are going to the holy-grail of modern furniture in America. We are going to go to WYETH in the Hamptons. (To put things in perspective, at WYETH, all of their modernist furniture is of the rarest and finest examples of their kind. Normally their Eames lounge chairs aren't even out on the floor but we called in advance and they were kind enough to bring them out of the warehouse. While my friend was checking out Eames I was checking out a $30,000 Hans Wegner Papa Bear chair with all original fabric.) We saw 1st & 2nd generation Eames lounge chairs and it clicked for my friend that the proportions, hardware, wood (made with real Brazilian rosewood), and leather was qualitatively better than the new Eames lounge chairs from Herman Miller. The 2nd generation chairs are made with the highest quality and he found a perfect chair and ottoman for less than 1/2 of the price of a new original.

• faxxes

dmchenry, I'm looking too. Found that modterior. has the white $899. But I agree with edamdnah that quality cannot be close to the original or even equal to the UF. There's a reason that price is so low. Either it's intended for the uninformed, or for decorators who just want a cheap knock off for a show or marketing.

• Tom Walker

We've been extremely happy with our Eames reproduction chair and ottoman from UrbanFurnishing in California. The leather is supple and the fit and finish are just beautiful. It has exceeded our expectations. It has received many compliments from visitors and has become my favorite chair for working on my laptop, reading, and kicking back. Considering the points raised in many of these reviews, I am happy to say that this was an excellent value for a high-quality item. Also, their customer service is very fast, patient, and thorough. To me, that is one of the most important features of their company. I will keep an eye out for more furniture from them!

Urban Furnishing is a complete scam. See my posts above about their poor quality and refusal to honor their "warranty" with anything other than a button and string "repair kit". Enjoy your UF chair until the shoddy build quality reveals itself... and it will. Then reconsider their "thorough" customer service.

• Tom Walker

I had the opposite experience. Sorry your result was not as good. My chair has been doing fine for almost 3 years with no problems.

Which is why I have been so profoundly disappointed with UF. Let's say I got a lemon, well then make it right. Send me a replacement bottom cushion and you'd have a customer for life who sang their praises. Instead, to save a few bucks they leave me with nothing but the most sour of tastes in my mouth, an embarrassing and broken piece of furniture in my living room, and massive regret about spending $1500 on a replica.

This is what I am trying to warn people about. I am happy for you, Tom, actually envious that you got a good one. But $1500 is a lot of money to play the quality lottery -- especially when the customer service has ended up evaporating.

Vote with your wallets, folks. Learn from my experience.

• alyssa.m

I've had mine for 4 years in the black/palisander and it still looks great and feels great. A button popped off my seat cushion a year ago (after my warranty was OVER) and they still sent me the repair kit with an instruction video (the video was not the greatest) but of course a video wasn't needed because it's just common sense on how to repair a button so I don't understand why some people cry over that. If they're willing to send you the parts then they are honoring their warranty.

• maria512

Has anybody had any experience or knowledge about the Eames chair quality put out by Lazy Buddy? I have been wanting the white/ash color for a while now UF doesn't offer that color, however, Lazy Buddy @ Amazon does. DWR has that color as well, but way out of my price range. I appreciate any input!! : )

• Scott B

It has been awhile since I posted here. As one of the original owners of the Yadea Eames replica (sold by Danny of urbanfurnishing.net), I wanted to share some developments I've learned about that should be of interest. As a result of conversations I had Danny last summer on suggestions to improve the comfort of the chair, it is my understanding that the "Ultra Premium" Version (tall and standard) is now shipping with open cell foam cushions - the Herman Miller Eames Lounge uses 2 layers of open cell foam. This should more closely approximate the feel and comfort of the Herman Miller branded design, which if you've had the opportunity to test, is an absolute dream of a chair in terms of comfort and first impression when you sit in it.

Prior to this, the UF chair (and all currently available similar replicas I'm aware of) used closed cell PU injection molded foam. The closed cell foam is best described as Jelly-like and has a bit of a memory and since there are no air pockets, there is no characteristic sound when sitting into the chair. By contrast, open cell foam is more springy, it has air pockets that account for that characteristic "whoosh" of air when it's compressed and it feels like you are sitting "in" vs "on" the chair.

Herman Miller's version of the Eames Lounge uses two layers of open cell foam (a 1.5 inch ultra soft "topper" layer mated to a 4-6 inch bottom layer of medium firmness). The layers are contour cut to the shape of the plywood seat and ottoman base and then glued together to form the cushion) and this is the key to its comfort compared to every replica on the market that uses PU injected closed cell foam. The feel is night and day between this material and open cell foam cushions. Both the seat cushion and the Ottoman cushion use this same foam design and they are interchangeable with one another. The backrest cushions are made from a single piece of the soft top layer foam. You can see more on the making of the Herman Miller Eames Lounge here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFaLpbmP0Yw

So it is my understanding that the UrbanFurnishing.net Eames replicas are now shipping with the updated open cell foam cushions, made to the same specs and foam densities as the Herman Miller chair. I'm still in talks with Danny to confirm all of this and I will update once I have more definitive information. Hopefully it helps others make an informed purchase decision. Everyone should have one of these chairs, in as authentic of a design as possible, whether an Eames original, a Herman Miller design, or a Replica model of your choosing.

• Peter Noah

@Scott B I'm curious if you have an update from Urban Furnishing about the foam variable?

I stumbled upon this thread looking for a replica of the lounge chair, and would definitely go with UF if the cushioning has been updated to match the specs of the Herman Miller version.

• Scott B

Hi Peter, I did hear back from Danny at UF. The information I have does appear encouraging.

This is likely going to be more information than you or anyone reading this thread may need to know, but ultimately, without the luxury of a side-by-side, physical demo of both the $5.8K Herman Miller Eames Lounge and the $1.7K "Ultra Premium" Eames Replica, all we have to go on is pictures and data.

Here's what I know thus far:

1) All chairs shipped since late 2019 from UF have shipped with the updated open cell foam. Here is a shot of the foam that's being used:

2) I also have the density and "resilience" measurements of the UF foam. That information is below:

"The pink color foam density is 28 kg/M3. the white color foam density is: 22kg/M3.
    the resilience of the pink color foam is 51 and the resilience of the white color foam is 49."

3) From my previous research, based on information I gathered from the Herman Miller foam supplier (Grand Rapids Foam Technologies), the foam used in the Herman Miller chair has an IFD (Indentation Force Deflection) value of 30 for the pink base layer and 15 for the white top layer. Unfortunately, that's the only measure I have, IFD, I don't have density or resilience, so an apples to apples comparison based solely on data is not possible without more information that overlaps.

Finally, beyond appearance (identical) and construction (also identical), in terms of actual foam characteristics, things get a bit uncertain for comparison purposes because we now have 3 different values: "Density", "Resilience" and "IFD" (Indention Force Deflection). These are all individual measures of foam performance (see > https://www.pfa.org/foam-performance/)

Since I don't yet have an IFD measure for the UF foam, and I don't have a density or resilience measure for the Herman Miller foam, I cannot say whether or not the foam is an exact match between the chairs. However, by appearance, the foam looks very similar but as they say, the devil's in the details.

Here are a couple of shots taken from the Herman Miller video to show the foam used for the reference chair:

And here is a shot of the actual foam from a modern Herman Miller Eames Loung Chair (the white foam turns yellow over time, but you can see that it is a very low density soft foam, with the pink foam serving as the base load layer):

• Peter Noah

This is indeed, a level of detail that I didn't anticipate but really appreciate. Thank you for posting, @Scott B! I think all signs point to UF for me.

• NS 10

Question for those who bought the UF version: what's the merchant category code for UF on your credit card statement? Trying to pick the correct category for the Bank of America Preferred Rewards Program to get 5.25% back -- "Online Purchase" or "Home Improvement / Furnishing"...

I's a shame that UF still can't attach bottom cushion buttons that don't pop off after 18months. More shameful is that their "warranty" response was essentially, "too bad".

Fix your damn button and get over it

Crap manufacturing, crap warranty, crap copy. Urban Furnishings is a crap shoot. If you only want something "furniture looking", sure, throw your $1500 at this piece of crap. If you want a chair that is built to be used and enjoyed... save for Herman Miller. And no, I won't fix my button because the reminder everyday of what a crap company UF is every time I look at the chair is worth more.

• Tricia Becker

So much great info in this 6-years-and-counting thread! I've learned a lot. Mostly that there are a lot of folks who are thinking about some of the same things I am with regards to buying this chair. I am leaning towards the UF chair but am really concerned about the off gassing I've read about in some reviews. I am super sensitive and wonder if the off-gassing ever really goes away?

FYI - Interesting tidbit: After much research last night, MHD is discontinuing selling the lounge chair as of 12/31/20. I wonder if it has anything to do with the lawsuit HM filed against them recently. hmmm.

Whatever you do, DO NOT waste your money supporting a company like Urban Furnishing. Grab one of MHD chairs if you really want a copy.

• Tricia Becker

@HU-837420464 is that b/c of UF's customer service? (I do think I like their antique brown color a smidge better.)

• davidhunternyc

I can't implore everyone enough, do not buy new Design Within Reach's nor Vitra's Eames Lounge Chair. Do not buy Urban Furnishings nor any other second tier Eames Lounge Chair reproduction. None of the above are made with the integrity of the original. The clips, veneer, varnish, plywood, and cushions are all of lesser quality than the original. Prices are exorbitant too and you'll only be able to sell it for 1/2 of what you bought it for. Still, I encourage everyone to go to Design With Reach and examine their "authorized" chairs. Make sure you unzip the cushions and see how the foam is packed inside the leather without a liner. Flip the chair upside down. See the polyurethane varnish and the awful palisander rosewood. You need to know too that when you place your order you don't get to choose your own shell. You're gambling as to whether or not you will like your shell. I've tried calling Herman Miller. They refuse to help you choose your shell.

You must seek out "second" generation Eames lounge chairs. They are plentiful enough that you should be able to find them. You can sometimes find a stunning original for 1/2 the price you would pay for a new one. The best news is that if you need to resell your Eames you can easily get what you paid for it. Original Eames lounge chairs retain their value. They are very comfortable to sit in for long periods of time because the cushion thickness, size, and shape were scaled perfectly for the chair. Also, you must go and see these chairs in person. Examine every little detail. The fun part of this journey is learning about what you like, don't like, and what you prefer to see in your chair. The search is incredibly fun and rewarding. In photos, the leather might look old and cracked. The cushion might look worn out and compressed. But in person? My-oh-my, it's a whole different world. Original Eames Lounge chairs have a presence that are unmatched by the new "authorized" versions. Trust me. Do your homework people! You will be rewarded.

Here's a primer to get started: https://theolivegreenwindow.blogspot.com/2013/01/eames-lounge-chair.html

• alyssa.m

Button, you seemed to have loved the chair until your button popped off. You're still keeping the chair and don't want to toss it, you obviously like it and you're just salty because you want them to sew the button on for you or provide a whole new cushion for you which they are not obligated to as they're already providing the replacement part that was broken for you.

UF, MHD. They are replicas, they are not the real thing. They are priced at a fraction of the price of the real chair. You get what you pay for, if you want the real thing then GET THE REAL THING.

• Scott B

Just received my “Tall“ version from UF. Incredibly impressed. Indistinguishable from Herman Miller in every way. So happy the chair is perfect! For whatever reason the shipping company was holding it for several days at the local distribution warehouse so I just drove there 15 minutes to pick it up. Last month i sold my original UF chair I bought new 8 years ago and invested the money in the newer chair with the open cell foam. i inspected all four cushions to confirm the open cell foam is now being used in all and look and feel is now identical to Herman Miller. The leather is immaculate and smells like I’m sitting in a brand new car with premium leather. When I sit down in the chair it sinks around my body like I’ve experienced so many times testing the HM chair at the local Herman Miller showroom. When you get up out of the chair you can see the cushions expand back to their default shape taking in air. It was securely packed in a 30 inch square box with lots of padding inside. Installation was quick and easy with 8 bolts, 4 for the arm rests and 4 for the main swivel base. Yadea has done it with this HM replica it is spot on and I’m very impressed with it. I’m happy to share pics if anyone deciding needs more information. The chair is perfect.

• edamdnah

HU-837420464, customer service within the mail order industry (as a whole) is disappearing quickly. do you live anywhere near New England? I’d be willing to discuss buying the chair from you if you are interested. I ask about New England only for driving to pick it up. Freight shipping would be too much. I know this because UF does not offer free returns and I checked prior to buying my chair.

• Robbie R

I'm considering the UF or MHD version. I'm about 5'6", but I want to really nest in this chair. Is it a better idea to get the tall version, or will the regular size suffice? Also, the price is about the same from both companies with sales right now. Is one markedly better than the other? Thanks!

*I should also say that I'd like to be able to fully rest my head back on the chair. Is this even possible with either regular or tall?

@Scott B would love to see pics, especially of someone sitting in it - thank you!

• edamdnah

Hi Robbie R

I'm 5'8" and chose the tall version. I was able to (and recommend) visit a Herman miller showroom and sat in both the high and standard versions. I noticed the tall HM is not only higher, but a little deeper as well. It's not really an issue for me because my feet are always on the ottoman, but wanted to mention it. With regards to the height, if I sit upright (no slouch) , my shoulders are just hitting the top cushion and if I lean my head back, it falls nicely on the upper rounded portion of the headrest. slouch down a bitand my shoulders fall right in between the upper and lower cushions (perfect IMO). What I found when comparing the two models was that in either position, my head was still above the upper cushion on the standard model.

A visit to DWR or similar Herman Miller showroom would be a great way to test fit both. I have noticed that the real Eames chairs have slightly softer cushions and they will have been thoroughly broken in. The trade off for the softer cushioning is that the leather will look more wrinkled. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different. The best part of a showroom visit will be the opportunity to surround yourself with many other classic pieces of furniture.

• Robbie R

@edamdnah Thanks for the info! Sounds like tall might be the way to go - I'd rather be a little *too* relaxed/cocooned in than not relaxed enough. Would you be able to include a pic of you (or someone) sitting in the chair both upright and slouched? Nbd if not. Thank you!

• edamdnah

@Robbie R

Here's an interesting video about the Eames chair. You will not only see how it's made, but several different people of varying heights sitting in it. (99%sure it's the standard) You can get a pretty good idea just how low that upper cushion is and how your head will rest in, on, or against it if you lean your head back.

https://youtu.be/tbF8QYU4LSA

• Z C

I bought the Urban Furnishings Ultra Premium Eames Replica. It wasn’t comfortable to me. Also, the chair doesn’t spin like it should. So I returned it. 2 hours of packing and 3 hours of driving to return it, but I’m glad I could undo that mistake. Even though Urban Furnishings has tried repeatedly to get the foam right, it still isn’t right (as of 2020).

I got a real Herman Miller Eames lounge chair with ottoman. There’s just something about it, nobody really replicates it. The real chair is pleasant to sit in. The fake chair felt awkward and a little painful after time.

If you’re looking for a chair to actually sit in, and you can afford a real Eames chair, get the real thing. Don’t think that you’re “saving money” on something “just as good”. The replicas are not as good.

If you can’t afford the real chair I would weigh your options, including used, or saving up money, or even just a different chair.

Don’t believe the shills online posting for the various Eames manufacturers. Tons of fake reviews out there. I got bit by the “replica designer furniture” bug. Learned the hard way, it’s all just cheap crap compared to the real thing. They NEVER replicate the true quality of the thing. They just make it as cheaply as possible to look good enough to fool people with photos. And sometimes those photos aren’t even of the product you’ll get. To be fair to UF, they photograph their actual products. I can’t say whether they use shills to post ads. I wouldn’t be surprised given some of the ridiculous claims I’ve seen. One poster claimed the UF was superior in quality to the Eames. Heck no, not even close. I doubt I’ll be cutting myself on jagged metal on a real Eames. Trying to spin the UF is a constant reminder it’s not real and just frustrating. And the cushions are just so uncomfortable, putting me into a hunched forward position, causing lower back pain.

Anyway, please learn from me, there is no free lunch here.

• harry_wild

I to am shopping for a tall version of the mid century Eames lounge chair replica aka knock offs. The standard sizes has the upper back below my hairline so I cannot use it as a headrest. I think I going with MHD due to the 5 year warranty and I a known store name. Otherwise, I might gamble on the Design District Model. nI would save around $500. Has anybody know anything about their private sales, community. They have no address listed, only phone# and Email address.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Harry!

• davidhunternyc

That’s because the cushions on all the reproductions, both authorized and unauthorized are all wrong. You must try and seek out a second generation original to see what I mean. Trust me.

• harry_wild

I am not that fussy. I just want to to have a nice Eames lounge chair relax in to watch TV.

• davidhunternyc

A real Eames lounge chair will support the back of your head.

• harry_wild

Was going to place my order with MHD and in the middle of the chat with Jessica about 2 minutes and after presenting the pictures of free wall hangers, Jessica Nolan did not continue with the chat. Not☹️happy! Telephone is working. Going with UF, I think now!

• harry_wild

Just pay for UF tall black/ Palisander! Shipped 2/28/21. Stay tune!

• K F

Just bought the Tall Ultra Premium Eames Replica from Urban Finishings. It looks fantastic, and is very comfortable when first sitting in it, but I'll admit (like Z C above) that it gets a bit uncomfortable after a longer period of time. It feels like it doesn't quite emulate the natural recline of the original (though i haven't sat in an original for more than 10 minutes). I'll report back after i have more time with it. I really don't want to have to return it, but I'm getting a little nervous...

• harry_wild

KF, How long did you sit in your UF chair until you felt uncomfortable developing?

• Abby Marshall

following

• edamdnah

I will agree with Z C that expecting to pay less than 1500 on a chair and getting a 5500 dollar chair is out of the question. I am very happy with my UF replica, however the stiff swivel has always bugged me a bit. Today I solved that problem in less than 30min and very basic tools. I flipped the chair over and removed the snap ring that holds the spindle in the base. working the base back and forth, remove the entire base from its spindle and clean up greasy residue. There is a hard plastic bushing that is pressed into the metal base that can easily be removed. I used a socket that was small enough to fit inside the metal frame yet large enough to push against the plastic bushing. Once out, clean grease off of this part as well. Before going any further I test fit the plastic bushing on the chair spindle and it fit perfectly. This led me to believe that as the tapered bushing is pressed into the base, it creates just enough friction to impede the chair from swiveling. I carefully scraped and sanded off just enough of the ridges on the bushing until it slid into the base with only 1/8 of an inch left to lightly tap into place. A quick test fit and I was ready t reassemble the chair. A light coat of grease on the inside of the bushing and spindle, slide the base back onto the chair and replace the snap ring. Done. Now, should this have been necessary after spending over a grand on a chair, absolutely not. But now I'm one step closer to having a true replica and still saving 4K.

• Nick Collura

It's been almost 2 months and i haven't received my chair from UF. they've stopped responding to my emails as well. We'll see how this goes...

• harry_wild

Mr. Collura,

I have canceled my UF preorder and went with Wayfair for my Eames replica tall lounge chairs. Sorry you have such trouble. Best of luck to you.