Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elisha312

Siding

elisha312
10 years ago
Can you please tell me the stain color. On the cedar shingles?
Mutiny Bay Waterfront Residence, Whidbey Island WA · More Info

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Dan Nelson, Designs Northwest Architects
    10 years ago
    I believe the color of the stain was Coastal Gray.
  • elisha312
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Dan for taking time to answer my question.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Your welcome.

Have fun with your project !

Dan
  • elisha312
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Dan. Actually we just had our purchase agreement accepted an hour ago on a house in Minneapolis. It's all brick with two shed style dormers one on the front and one on the back which have, I think, vinyl siding on them. If the house was just facade bricked on the front I wouldn't mind ripping it off and shingling the whole thing; as it is I couldn't bear to waste all that brick. So what I'd like to do is match that lovely stain color of yours in a paint, paint the brick and shingle those dormers (I can live with ripping off some blah vinyl). And of course, I love that yellow Dutch door as well.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Congratulations on your new home purchase !

You could try to color match Olympic Stain's Coastal Gray and see how it looks on the brick. It could look great.

Take Care,
    Dan
  • elisha312
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you, we're excited. Dan you've been so helpful with info.; thank you so much! I wanted to ask who the stain mfg was, but didn't want to bother you too much. Olympic, thanks! And I LOVE the name "Coastal Gray", perfection. It's a perfect gray, not too dark or too blue; too light or too brown. It seems just right. Our "Urban Beach House" is fast becoming a reality, yeah!
  • elisha312
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure we'll be able to get it done this year or not, but yes I will keep you posted. Inspection Friday so I will take plenty of "before" pictures. What are your thoughts on chimneys: paint or no?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Probably not. Best to leave the brick natural.
    elisha312 thanked Dan Nelson, Designs Northwest Architects
  • elisha312
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dan,
    I've been looking for and can't seem to find Coastal Gray in the Olympic collection; maybe they stopped making it. And I'm thinking instead of painting the brick on our new house, trying to match this color and do a lime wash treatment. The more pictures I see the more I like it because it's not so solid which to me mimics the semi transparent stain over the cedar shingles. Do you know anything about this treatment?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I am not really sure how it will work to wash the bricks with semi transparent stain.

It is always a good idea to try it out on a sample or consult with a local painting contractor.

Take Care,
    Dan
  • elisha312
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No, it's not actually using a semi-transparent stain, the technique just (I think) mimics the look of a semi-transparent stain over cedar. I would definitely get a professional, especially because the technique of lime washing is so complicated. All of the examples I've seen on brick are much lighter, like a white washing. But I think the warm gray would be really beautiful. It wouldn't look as flat and one dimensional as painting the brick would. Then I could have the shed dormer vinyl replaced with cedar shingles with the coastal gray (or similar). Very exciting we move in less than five weeks. Let the renos begin!