Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rvc122

Help transitioning between retaining wall and fence on property line

rvc122
10 years ago
My yard sits lower than than my neighbor. Need ideas to revive retaining wall. Mask neighbors aging fence / exposed concrete collars, and reduce mud from rain erosion where fence and wall have gap. Plan to install rod iron fence / gate to separate front yard from side yard. Would like to establish a entertaining area in side yard with succulent garden.

Comments (5)

• Judy Bumbles
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Can you replace the fence ? This is much better done now before you design/plant out the area. You could share in the cost of a new fence with your neighbour as it is in such a bad state. I think along your fence line with your neighbour I would plant a line of trees for privacy. There is so much potential in your garden have fun! Good luck.
    rvc122 thanked Judy Bumbles
  • rvc122
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good call on the replacing the fence first. I will need to reach out to my neighbor.
  • Sigrid
    10 years ago
    I'd go for plants. Put up some trellises and grow vines. If you want great coverage, pick a prolific ivy. Honeysuckle will take longer to fill in, but smells wonderful. Climbing roses and clematis is pretty. And if you want an edible try grapes.
  • sweepsfl4
    10 years ago
    The neighbors fence looks to be dependent on the retaining wall and the other smaller fence looks to be a retaining wall and a fence. So anything you do regarding a wall will just all be on your property. Then they will move the fence up to it when they replace the fence. In short, you pay taxes for their property,

I would look at a raised bed idea and therefore the back side of the bed will become their issue. If they are unreasonable and don't care about the back side maintenance of their fence then why should you worry, fill up against it. Never the less I would but a plastic style barrier on the back side of the bed in the event anyone wanted to spray anything down the edge of the fence that would kill any plants you plant in front or in the raised bed. There is thick material that will be such a barrier. With a hedge planted you will feel much better. Mix the hedge plants and keep the back side trimmed off their fence.
  • afunbee
    9 years ago
    If you want to make use of the triangular space, then mask the fence and wall. Can you grow tall hedges in front of the old retaining wall? It may take a few years to get it full and tall.

Alternatively, grow the plants in front of the wood fence. Stucco and paint the existing wall. Alternatively, keep an eye out for veneer stones on sale to cover the existing wall,

Maybe make the area a patio area. Put lattice to mask the fence/wall.

Your pavers on the left look nice. I see the potential