Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stef282

Bedding dilemma

Stefanie
10 years ago
Here's a picture of our master bedroom. Sorry that it's not the greatest but it's a work in progress. My current bedding is on and just picked up an orangish pink duvet but not sure I want another. #1 is what I purchased and the other 2 I am thinking of instead. Which one looks best? Thanks!

Comments (114)

• Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like Mary Jane better than Madison Park. Or the Hadley Ruched from Pottery Barn. Here's a quilt option. You must not like the Hadley but the Mary Jane better? I am flexible on the pattern pillows and curtains. Haven't thought of the curtains yet. I will check it out in a bit.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/valerie-floral-metalasse-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=call-bedding&cm_src=all-bedding||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    in the Quilts -- I like the Biltmore trapunto best. Plus you get an extra 15% off and free shipping (any order over $99). It has a scalloped edge detail and a very romantic look. But for me personally, I like the soft sink-in feeling of a smooth very thick duvet or down comforter. The Biltmore line from Belk is very luxurious and very good quality. That Biltmore quilt was $200 (now on sale for $149.99 Plus 15% off is $127.49 plus taxes and free shipping. So, it's not too bad in price. But you do have to type in a code for the 15% off.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think I like the thickness of the duvet as well. I'm just torn between that and the PB. Never purchased anything on Belk. I see you like that one best so I will look at again.
  • Amy Stokes
    10 years ago
    Have you looked at anthropologie? It sounds like you want ultra feminine, and they do that very well. Here is one quilt they have. They have a ton of duvets and embroidered sheets as well.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-bedding/31667165.jsp?cm_sp=Grid-_-31667165-_-Regular_8
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Soto,
    Which duvet do you like best?
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    10 years ago
    I like 3 best.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Soto,

What pillows are you referring to?
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Stefanie The pillow I was referring to was from your favorites ideabook, but it is no longer available. It was from etsy. You keep going back to the ruched design in comforters, so that is the direction you should go. It is just a comforter. If you get one and decide you don't like it, you can replace it in the not to distant future. So, just pick what appeals to you and go with it. We DO know that you want white for the comforter and lilac for the sheets and pillows. That much is for sure. If you decide to repaint that bedroom in some shade of lilac, then I would go with white curtains for some contrast. JCP has some real silk ones on clearance if you want the elegant formal look. They are by Royal Velvet in the clearance section. But in your ideabook, you picked out some very light faux linen ones in lilac (they also come in white). They would be nice as well.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I can check with the etsy seller. They often can find the fabric and make them. I am not sold on ruffles, etc., I think I am just trying to make sure there's some interest if I'm getting white.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Etsy seller has 2 pillows in this fabric. I wouldn't want to match the curtains to them even if I could. I should grab them probably but they ship from the United Kingdom and are a bit pricey. She said something about duty taxes and buyers being responsible as well. Hmm.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure who is still reviewing and sorry that the poll has really went off track from the original options but which do you prefer?

1. http://www.craneandcanopy.com/products/the-mirabel-white-duvet-set

2. http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/PRD~9200586COTTO9480D3/MaryJane+s+Home+Cotton+Clouds+White+Bedding+Collection.jsp?off=6&rCode=dsku100026304&ZZ%3C%3EtP=4294923170&ZZ%3C%3Et=Mary+Jane&ZZ_ST=Mary+Jane&fO=AND%28Category_Path%3A%2FBelk_Primary%2FBedBath%2FBed%29&ZZ_OPT=Y&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442058634&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395191292&bmUID=khTuSDZ

3. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/hadley-ruched-duvet-cover-sham-white/?pkey=cwhite&cm_src=white||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

4. (VERY PLAIN WHICH I WAS KIND OF TRYING TO AVOID BUT I WILL BE GETTING A QUILT TO CONTRAST SO PUTTING IT OUT THERE). http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-essentials-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=cwhite&cm_src=white||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

I really need HELP picking please. If you do not like these at all, please feel free to suggest but I do really want to go with white and no patterns this time. The west elm #3 above is always open. I plan to do lilac sheets, ruffle pillows and a quilt of some sort. THANK YOU!!
  • Amy Stokes
    10 years ago
    The first three are almost identical. Look at the thread count, material specs, etc and pick the best quality. Or the cheapest. You found the look you want, so now it's just down to pulling the trigger.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have narrowed it down. I think I will try this one.
    http://www.craneandcanopy.com/products/the-valencia-offwhite-pintuck-duvet-cover
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, of course I pick off white. I do like off white quite a but but will need to take that into consideration when getting some pillows.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    I love your choice Stefanie! That pintuck detail is so glamorous!
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much! I'm sure many think I am way nuts on the bedding indecision. I am picky :) Glad I did this and returned my first one which is in third place!
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    If I didn't have kids, I'd have bedding like that too :)
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Hi Stefanie! I see you've picked a comforter! Have you picked the sheets yet? Did your husband LOVE the mirror?? I am anxious to find out. Oh, and the curtains too?? I have been out all day. Mom to her surgeon and her brother to the ER They don't know if he's had yet another mini-stroke or if it's dehydration. Just got home at 10:16 PM this evening and still wanted to check in. I will have to go to him tomorrow too as they kept him.....but I wanted to check in before my exhaustion takes over...
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry to hear all of that! Stay rested.

Seems funny to go back to bedding but what do you think of the choice? I was really down to this or the other with crane canopy. Never purchased from them but it was a nice thread count and zipper for the duvet to make it easier! I thought about buying both and returning the one I liked least. Still need sheets. I also can get those pillows from Etsy and the out of the country was the other. Let me know when you can. :)
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I finally went with the pin tuck, just for your FYI, as I went through Houzz pictures to check how that ruching would look and sometimes looks a little too sloppy for me. If this is too much, I am going to plain white.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Soto,

So I bought this piece of "art" above the bed today and now I am unsure. It's from Pier 1 and because a stone was missing they said I could have 25% off if it's final sale so I got a good price. I will have to take some more pictures but hoping it will work above my bed otherwise have spare room and last resort is the toilet room. It has it's own space ;) Since I can't return it will need to go somewhere.
    http://houzz.com/photos/8396893
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Hi Stefanie.... Hold judgement until you get the comforter you ordered. You will know for sure when you see it on the bed. But I agree. I did not like the ruching. Looks OK on the comforter, but it does make the bed look messy to me. I have never been a fan. That's why I kept wanting to steer you back to plain. But it's not about ME -- it's about YOU. You just have us along for the ride, which I am immensely enjoying! Most of the inspirational photos I put in that book for you are just plain comforters. The interest is derived from other elements in the room. But since you have ordered it, we will hold our judgement until you see it. Then, you will know for sure.....
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    About the art -- it's too small in the pictures to see what it looks like. But you have great taste, so I'm betting it will be great! Can you take a better photo of it with your camera so we can see the detail?
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think the one I ordered will be nice. We shall see but I have a good feeling on that pin tuck and glad I stayed away from the other. It's suppose to make the bedding look plush.

I will try to take a better pic but I held up and think it's going to be a beauty above the bed in master. It's sparkly but subtle where it would be hung. My poor husband said he is going to be so tired after tomorrow because now we have 3 projects! Welcome back!
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If I like it above the bed, I may not need to paint the room right now and like that shade for the curtains. Only difference is my bedding will be white.
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    I LOVE the new artwork! See, I told you that you have excellent taste!! It adds a subtle "bling" without being flashy or overwhelming....I think it's going to be GREAT!
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Poor tired hubby! I have one of those too....I am always coming up with some new idea for him to build, hang, fix or try!! Ha! Ha! Tell him it's an occupational hazard (of being a husband!) Ha! Ha!
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    The pattern on the new art is very elegant! Can't wait to see it up! Poor hubby.....
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Sorry to be so schizophrenic (jumping from room to room and subject to subject), but what are your thoughts on that kitchen back splash? Will it be a project for the future? or soon?
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I will be extra nice tomorrow for all the work. I think it will look good too. Do you think I should get any of those Etsy pillows or wait for bedding. Part of me thinks I should wait but if I want them, I should get them because she only out up a temporary listing for me. I could always use on chairs once I do the seating area in the bedroom.

As for backsplash, I want to do it this spring. Not sure what I want to do. I could post pics but should I do a new thread?
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really want to see your red curtains!
  • frattaroli1996
    10 years ago
    Be bold go for colour, orange! It will be romantic at night and cheery in the morning!
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Yes definitely do a new thread! You will be able to get more input from more people. Do you have a direction you want to go in? Or perhaps a specific color you'd like to incorporate?
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ha, yes. Neutral! I am not a fan of color in a backsplash or huge tiles. Leaning toward glass tiles. My cabinets are antique white, dark wood island and crystal knobs so they don't stand out too much. Surprised? :)
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    10 years ago
    I would do your windows to match the bench to give you a grounding background that let's you play with various bed linens. Maybe do a beaded fringe to pick up the metallic gold of the bench.
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    NO!! Just my style too!! That's why I'm not surprised. But the glass tiles have to be put up with a mastic (I think that's what it's called) because you can kind of see through them. My taste runs a little different here. I am a big fan of natural stone tiles. If you would like to see, I have put some in that soto13 book for you. I love the "mother of pearl" tiles. You can get them in a variety of neutral shades. You can get them in shades of white, gray, taupe, dark gray (they call it black, but it's not). They even have hints of purple (very subtle) in some of the dark ones. Check them out if you think you might like them. They are very subtle.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have considered mother of pearl. I posted the new thread!
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Are you going to post those red curtains? What room do you have those in?
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Craig,

Fringe curtains?
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    We tore down a wall that separated the kitchen and family room. The family room is where we have them. Even my husband liked them! I am not computer savvy. I am still struggling to learn how to attach images with this windows 8. Husband tried to help me, but he couldn't get it to attach either -- that's why I have to put things in that soto13 book for you. Wish I knew how to fix it, but I don't.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's strange. I don't use windows at home (iPad and iMac) but maybe you could try another browser like chrome or Firefox and wouldn't have so many issues. That's just a side comment and not sure you want to bother. I just can't picture those red curtains. To me you sound bold there!
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    They are actually more burgundy and they have the subtle tone changes like your purple ones do. I got them from overstock so they are on their website. I think they were called syrah. If you go to overstock.com and type in syrah silk taffeta curtains, they will come up. I think they were about $89 a panel. I bought 4. I have matchstick blinds inside for light control and these panels are just for the looks.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    soto01, to load your photos: all you have to do is go to "upload" here on houzz and when you open up that screen you can drag a saved jpeg file from your computer to either an Ideabook that you have or you can upload it to a project of yours. To upload to a project, that is the top green line to the right. It might be easier for you to upload to an Ideabook and just give it the name of your project. Any word or pdf document, change to jpeg first then upload.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Haha, peer pressure.

So they are like mine. I had to go to my order to remember what I ordered. I saw some other purple ones so I wonder why I picked those. I have yet to open up the hardware box and I probably should have to make sure it looks okay. I sure hope so because I want to get them up to really see if we like them.
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Thanks Denita! I will try it out tomorrow. I am computer illiterate! (as you can tell). I struggle to do anything with them. Again, thanks for your help...
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    10 years ago
    Just on the one edge of the panel because that window is beautiful. Maybe just a metallic ribbon to give it a custom high end look. Just a little detail.
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Will try to find pictures because unsure what that looks like.