Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoeydog12112

How to decorate the top of kitchen cabinets

zoeydog12112
10 years ago
In my kitchen, I have high ceilings with recessed lighting. The cabinets are a dark wood and fairly tall. I want to decorate the top of the cabinets to help create a warm and decorative feel. My colors are olive, mustard, rust and brown. My wall color is a neutral tan. Any decorating ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Perhaps some tall vases where the ceiling is at its highest.
    zoeydog12112 thanked Dytecture
  • jennybales828
    10 years ago
    I've framed my kids art work and perched them on top.. It brings in bright watercolors and makes the kids proud... If you don't have any little ones grab a brush yourself and give it a try!!
    zoeydog12112 thanked jennybales828
  • PRO
    JME Consulting, Inc.
    10 years ago
    From your photo I suggest adding some bright colors and depth above. Mexican pottery would look great. If you are up to it you could add some live greens that are easy care.
  • PRO
    Design Elements
    10 years ago
    How about some glass jars and vases? You can get tape LED light strips from Home Depot or lowes that are super easy to install. They will give the perfect amount of light to the glass to create an elegant look...and it won't cost a lot!
    zoeydog12112 thanked Design Elements
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The top of my cabinets is a mini museum albeit a dust collector haven. I have things like a mortar and pestal, an old ceramic bank, a wooden Pinocchio marionette, a Mrs. Butterworth glass bottle, some unusual vases and ceramics. I also have some old vanity lamps and a few oddly shaped bottles. This image is from over the cornice in my breakfast room. The rest I haven't refixed since I took the holiday mess down. (Puts that on the list of stuff I have to do. )
    zoeydog12112 thanked lucidos
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I have learned the hard way... no fake anything, how about a live nativity scene ;)) See Darzy for explanation
    zoeydog12112 thanked User
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Margo, you always make me chuckle. Hey..you're a quick study.
    zoeydog12112 thanked Darzy
  • Carol Johnson
    10 years ago
    Fewer, but larger items will be a more contemporary look.
    zoeydog12112 thanked Carol Johnson
  • asquithoatley
    10 years ago
    I'm not quite sure why you would want to put anything on the top of the cabinets. To me it looks like clutter and visually unattractive. I would rather have some open shelves or have glass doors on the cabinets where you can put items to give a pop of color to break up the dark wood. Putting items up high on the top seems old fashioned but perhaps I am alone in that opinion.
  • faylala
    10 years ago
    It looks fine they way you have it now. Simple and less cluttered is better. If you absolutely have to change what's there now then the bright colored Mexican pieces would be nice or some bright colored vases but don't overdo it. Just put something to add some brightness but no lights please
  • namartn
    9 years ago
    Getting walls in kitchen and breakfast room painted later this week. All cabinet top decor has to come down first. Thinking of not putting anything back up, since seeing these photos makes me realize how cluttered it is!
  • User
    9 years ago
    YUP, a picture is worth a thousand words;)) The time has come.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    It will feel empty and lonely for just a bit, but then you will realize how wise it is to not do it again.
  • marshavg
    9 years ago
    Actually nothing added looks good, but A few pieces of ITALAIN pottery with your colors would look great
  • marshavg
    9 years ago
    Italian pottery-typo error
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Just give me bare space- let your house breathe. Plus I just think of all the dust they collect.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I love Darzy's example pics. A couple or few groupings of very large similar items and lots of empty space. Try to avoid the look of smaller lined up, evenly spaced things.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Nothing is fine. I have a few things up there, but only because I like looking at them slightly more than I hate cleaning them. Wood, basketry, or terra cotta pieces. Nothing heavy, and nothing that can't be washed or rinsed, set outdoors to dry, and put back up.
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    9 years ago
    I always prefer the clean simple look, with nothing above. It's not really meant to be storage or display space. Try it for a crew days and see what you think. Best of luck!
  • PRO
    Cameron's Design
    8 years ago

We would suggest putting nothing up there. Sometimes less is more!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations