Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cappergirl

Window treatment options for large patio door/window?

cappergirl
10 years ago
We recently bought a house. I've been doing all the windows myself, until now. I am stumped on this patio door window. But I have been unable to get a rod long enough (probably 125" or so) and since it needs to open to the left, it needs to be a single panel (i think) and i can't even buy one that has the right fullness anyway. So I decided to suck it up and go custom on this one window. After 3 1/2 hours with them mostly fiddling with their computer, 3 day blinds gave me a quote for $1707 installed (and that was *with* a 20% discount). This is for a wand pull, classic 3 finger pinch pleat drape on a wrought iron rod. And after getting the quote, I found out that the fabric I picked (there were only two samples I liked) was 100% polyester, which was their least expensive fabric. I knew it would be pricey, but I didn't know it would be that pricey. I am a little horrified.

Does this pricing sound competitive? Do I have any other options? (I hate vertical blinds with a passion.) Here is a panoramic picture of the room and the rug. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (27)

• Shauna Cowley Filtz
    10 years ago
    Did you check this website? http://thecurtainrodshop.com/product/8621/Paris-Texas-EasyPull-Single-Traverse-with-Wood-Facia-Rings.aspx?catid=0

Then get some blackout panels from Bed Bath and Beyond and voila!

A traverse rod should work well, allowing you to cover the opening and move out of the way to use the door.
    cappergirl thanked Shauna Cowley Filtz
  • PRO
    Sue Rosenbaum
    10 years ago
    Custom drapes will be the best solution for that sized window.
    But do not use a fabric that you do not like the "hand". You should be able to select a cotton or a poly cotton blend.
  • PRO
    Sue Rosenbaum
    10 years ago
    You will pay handsomely for custom , but you will also have it for a very long time. 18-24 yards of fabric at $50/yd is almost $1000, plus fabrication and install and hardware.
    cappergirl thanked Sue Rosenbaum
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    so sue, are you saying $1707 is not too far off then? just the drape was $1384. and like i said, this was polyester, their least expensive material. i didn't know that when i picked it. here is the one i chose: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/419257046532962223/ i was mostly going by color. i meant to mention that i chose this color to try to tie together with the rug and the paintings. i honestly didn't mind the feel of the fabric, but then again, it's really hard to tell from a swatch in a book. and i don't know how the different materials will hang, i.e. which fabrics hang best. another fabric i chose was 55% linen and 45% cotton (with a pattern on it): http://www.pinterest.com/pin/419257046532962271/ and it was going to be $2707 installed, a whole $1000 more! i think i gasped when she said that.
  • PRO
    Bartlett Design Studio
    10 years ago
    The price is fine, especially with the wrought iron rod...
    White traverse rod would need a valance which would probably double the price.
    Polyester is a good fabric if you want a sheen, it's also used as faux silk. Your cotton/linen combo would not have that sheen. As a fabricator I prefer working with the natural fabrics (the cotton/linen). It's just easier to work with. It hangs nicer, not as stiff and you don't see every stitch
    To me, the extra 1000 would be, although painful, something to really consider, since I'd leave them up forever. If they're up for ten years, that's 100/year. Seems like I waste more money than that on a regular basis
    My mother always rationalized these splurges as "an investment in everyday living" and she's right...you'll look at these every day, get what you'll love for the long term
    cappergirl thanked Bartlett Design Studio
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks. i don't think i want a sheen. i think i will see what else i can find, maybe get another quote from someone else, because i didn't have that much of a choice of fabric. i was thinking to go with a solid color (the aqua/cornflower color in the rug) or that color with a very light pattern on it, but wanted to avoid it being too much of a pattern because the rug is so busy. does that make sense? any other ideas for colors?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Country Curtains has many draperies specially for sliders - rods too.
  • Dreacorator
    10 years ago
    Restoration Hardware goes up to 126, and they are having a good sale right now.
  • PRO
    Bartlett Design Studio
    10 years ago
    If you can swing the extra cost, custom is worth every penny! There are thousands of fabrics to choose from, you could do your solid with a trim, even grosgrain ribbon to add some pop. Yes, you could buy the ready mades and add the trim on those to save
    money. I guess it depends on your budget and also on how important homemaking is to you. I don't want what everyone else has
  • Katie Gooding
    10 years ago
    Wow. I understand that the $1700 is an investment, but in 5 years I would be sick of my style and want to change it to something else. I'm even more horrified by the fact that I just bought a new house with a patio door and windows and was planning on doing a traverse rod and doing a 15 foot wall that the whole wall would open up. Based on your estimate, it's going to cost me 4K! (Okay, maybe less because at least I can sew them myself). I guess I would probably call in some local people to get more quotes, maybe you can find a local seamstress and find out what her labor change would be and if you save up a coupon can order your own fabric. Frequently Joann fabrics and Hancock fabrics cna get home dec fabrics down to about $20/yard (or less!) with coupons, and depending on where you live you might have access to other fabric sources.
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    smith and noble has an online calculator and they are even more expensive as i suspected they would be. and again. not so many choices in the color tone i am interested in.

so i looked at some drapery fabrics online today, and found some that i like. i have a couple friends who could sew regular curtains. it's just that i don't know anyone who could sew pinch pleats, which seems to be the best solution for such a big window to have them stack nicely when open...and one that i will be opening daily and closing nightly. i'm sure there are people out there, but how do i know they are good and they are not going to ruin my fabric if i buy it? i felt like at least with a big company, i would have recourse if they screwed them up. they would have to suck it up and redo them. but a regular seamstress? what recourse would i have? not that i'm mistrustful of people. i am going to ask around for word of mouth referrals, but most people i've talked to so far are not doing custom draperies. it seems everyone is going with blinds, shades, and shutters these days on their windows, and they have those new patio doors that open in the center, so they can get center draw panels, which look cooler and are easy to find off the shelf. and then you can have a center bracket, so the rod is easier too. i don't know anyone who has had custom made draperies made. i sooo wish i could sew! i am hopeless. can't even do a hem... :(
  • rolam1
    10 years ago
    I don't know where you live, but at my local fabric place here, the owner of the shop recommended someone to me to sew the curtains. Did you try a local fabric store??? They may have more fabrics to choose from and you may be able to get a recommendation from someone on a seemstress. As far as the really long rod, I just got two from the Home Depot that were up to 144".
  • PRO
    Teresa M. Morgan, ASID
    10 years ago
    Are you set on draperies? I have done roller shades on patio doors. There is also a product called panel track. I have a source for a natural woven that can be lined for privacy and move easily from side to side with the touch of a finger.
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    10 years ago
    The pricing sounds reasonable for the fabric, lining, hardware, labor and installation. I own a retail drapery workroom, so I am very familiar with the costs of fabrics, linings, hardware and labor. I will also say that I rarely work with polyester fabrics for traversing draperies. They often flare and do not have a "memory" to hold the folds in them, and can require additional attention and labor to help them hang properly. A benefit of polyester fabric is the huge number of colors and patterns available and for a reasonable price.
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    i got a recommendation from a friend, so i will get a quote from this guy. if that does not work out, i will try a fabric store. there are plenty around. so i should avoid 100% polyester. what if it is part polyester, part cotton? what is the best fabric for this type of drape, linen? or just anything except polyester? any ideas for colors for this room? i am thinking of one of the blue-greens in the rug/paintings.
  • rolam1
    10 years ago
    Remember to ask if the fabric is machine washable! These window treatments are probably going to get dirty. Do you rally want to dry clean them several times a year??
  • PRO
    Bartlett Design Studio
    10 years ago
    A combination of cotton and polyester is fine
    Linen wrinkles and sags

So...not 100 percent linen nor 100 percent poly. :-)

Dry clean your pinch pleated draperies!
    cappergirl thanked Bartlett Design Studio
  • PRO
    Bartlett Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Most people don't need to clean their draperies several times a year...if ever!
    Shake them out if you must, or vacuum

Please avoid pulling them with your hands to avoid oils and wrinkling...use a wand if they're on rings
  • Greenthumz
    9 years ago
    I am going through this same problem. I will probably wind up doing the sewing myself. But I've found onlinefabricstore.net and fabricguru.com to have great selection and prices. Samples are cheap too.

But more importantly, can you please tell me what and where you bought that rug? I love it.
  • PRO
    Teresa M. Morgan, ASID
    9 years ago
    Thinking the same thing greengirl! Love the colors!
  • PRO
    Artemano
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Though the prices have a wide range, you should be able to get the work done for much cheaper. Of course, there are many factors like the fabric you choose (as you mentioned), the store you go to, the city you're located in, etc... however a fair price for labour would be either $150.00 (for fabric 118" wide plus you need 12 yards of fabric) or $200.00 (for 54"-60" wide fabric plus you need 25 yards of fabric not including a repeat pattern if you want the pattern to match up on each panel). Of course this doesn't include the rod or the fabric itself. This is assuming you want 96"- 108" long curtain which is a common length. I have also calculated it at 300% fullness which is generally what is required for pinch pleat. The last bit of information I used was the rod length of 125". Hope that helps and feel free to message me if you need a more detailed explanation or you'd like me to break down my calculations better! good luck :)
  • PRO
    Artemano
    9 years ago
    I forgot to mention... all that being said you should be able to pay $850- $950 plus the installation and taxes. I have calculated this with a basic fabric of $10/yard for 54"-60" fabric or $20/yard for 118" fabric... This is a fair price but you need to shop around and act like you know what your talking about so that you're not taken advantage of!!
  • PRO
    Stanfield Shutter
    9 years ago
    Depending on the size of your window and type of material you desired, the average 10' patio door would cost around $1500.00 at Stanfield Shutter
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    sorry greengirl, just saw this. i actually found the rug at lowes! funny thing is i had been there already and it was my 3rd time there looking at the rugs. i hadn't even considered it before and for some reason, the third time, it jumped out at me and i thought "this is the one!"
  • cappergirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i still have not covered this window. didn't seem necessary the whole summer, but now i'm thinking about it again. not really interested in shutters, thanks. i think i've changed my mind regarding fabric. i still want that aqua color in the painting and the rug, but i'm shying away from what i was leaning towards before. glad i waited. i still like the rug, so that's good at least...
  • nramsey1
    9 years ago
    OK...this is out there...maybe I've been watching too many DIY shows lately, but I have tried this and it looks great. Go to Lowes/Home Depot. Check out the pipe in the plumbing dept. They have 10' lengths of pipe with 6" extenders if you need them (also a flange for mounting on the wall). I painted mine with Rubbed Bronze spray paint. Works great with grommet drapes. Use a wand to pull the drapes open and closed. Can't remember the exact cost but around $20.00.