Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueblond

Would this refrigerator layout be an issue with floorplan?

blueblond
10 years ago
Does anyone have any problems with their refrigerator so close to a wall? Or is it a non-issue? We are building our home and our contractor said we could move it over 3 inches or so. Our fridge drawers are able to slide out with the door perpendicular to the fridge but I'm still worried. What would an alternate layout be for the appliances? Would love to keep the sink under the window but need a functioning kitchen. Please help!

Comments (47)

• kb1662
    10 years ago
    Why not flip the stove and fridge (but move the fridge to the end by the doorway). Or put a wall oven where the fridge is, fridge near the doorway and a range on the island (although in that case you may need to turn the island).
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    The fridge needs to be a few inches away from the wall for proper operation.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    So much depends on what style of refrigerator you buy. If it has a single upper door that swings open away from the wall (which isn't very convenient for taking things in and out and moving them to other parts of the kitchen) then the clearance isn't an issue. But for any door that opens toward the wall you need substantial clearance for it to open fully. I don't think this placement is ideal.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    blueblond, is this kitchen set in stone? Do you have the ability to change out all your appliance locations? it seems a little bit weird to me that the stove is visible from your living room (??). I can't really tell from here because we don't have the full floor plan to see the surrounding rooms. I can see the stove being located where the sink is now but you mentioned that is window over the sink. Would you mind attaching the entire floor plan? I agree with feeny and Dytecture, not enough room for the fridge in that location
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Our fridge is a standard width, Samsung French Door, so the main issue would be if the interior drawers can be pulled out. They are accessible. I agree that the fridge could move by the doorway, however my range would then likely be forced into the island. I do not want an obstructive hood hanging down and I'm afraid the downdraft vents would be a lot of trouble. I kind of had my heart set on a beautiful hood too. We can rearrange the layout any way right now, but just unsure about it all!! I had a fridge against the wall at our last place but it was a single door on top for the fridge part.

Here is the entire floorplan. Thank you all so much. We've never built a house before and this makes me nervous!
  • marniejo
    10 years ago
    I have a Samsung french door and would not be able to remove the drawers for cleaning without opening the doors beyond where your wall is placed. The drawers do open with the door in a position perpendicular to the face of the fridge, but need to open further than that for accidents like spills. Can you remove the drawers in that position? A small filler strip (3-4") against the wall could solve that problem for you, but then you start to cut into the counter space next the the sink, which I consider a .premium.

Have you considered the space over by the sun room for the fridge? You would have a good landing spot on the island to load and unload food.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Although your kitchen is in a large space, it is not using the space well. I feel that the island doesn't work well in its current configuration, and further restricts the wall space.

Changes I would make: use walls on the left for full-height storage, move either the stove or the sink to the island. Have the window wall free of upper cabinets.
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These are all great ideas. I like the idea of facing the fridge across from the range. That would solve the problem and leave clearance with the island too. I had never considered no uppers on the one wall. That may be pretty with the backsplash I'm going for.

Any other ideas or comments? These are so helpful! I'm not the creative type at all!
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    i agree with sstarr -- you have such a big space, but does not seem to be used
    well. to start with your island seems like it's in the middle of no man's land. I think it could be much longer. Then I would move the cooktop to the island - move the frig to the wall where the cooktop is on all the way at the edge. Oh, and here's another thought. Put the cooktop at the short end of the island nearer the sink (after you make the island longer). Then put a couple stools on the other end of the island and also maybe three coming around to the right.
    That's what I would try.
    Also there's a really cool free tool for the Ipad called 5DPlanner. You can totally lay out your whole kitchen (super supper simple, takes about five minutes) and then you can look at it in 3d. You can also customize colors of cabinets, floors, etc. We have used it and found such success when you can actually see a 3d rendering that you can do in a few minutes.
    Check it out! and good luck!
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    I'm not a designer, but it seems that all your appliances are clustered at one end of the kitchen, and sort of ignoring the sun room end. I was thinking that it might be convenient to have a small wine or beverage center in the sun room side, to access easily from the sunroom or the deck. And a bar sink on that end of the island would be helpful without interfering with your main work triangle. I would make your island do some work, since without anything in it, it's sort of just a table. And I think rotating the big fridge 90 degrees with a corner appliance garage is a great idea. I have a problem getting big platters into my fridge and the door opens 120 degrees. Just a thought.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Where is your pantry?
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The pantry is to the right of the door entering the kitchen. It's more of a small closet. We could actually make it that whole area if I wanted to lose that tiny bit of counter space. It's rather small though.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    The pantry is small or the counter space next to it is small? Or both?
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It is probably 36 inches wide according to the floor plan.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- This is another example of - never go by the kitchens shown on house plans . Most architects do not make good kitchen designers . This is not a good plan -- the kitchen looks like an after thought . If one to three feet could be added to the width of the kitchen so a cabinet could be put between the fridge and the wall , then problem solved for the most part concerning opening the fridge . One way to deal with it as is , is to shorten the dining room wall beside the fridge . Remember even the counter depth fridges still stick out 3 inches . Some integrated fridges are truly counter depth (24 inches) . The pantry could be that whole space beside the sunroom or extra pantry storage could be worked into the laundry room . The island is not shown properly it could be pulled back to be lined up with the dining room wall and turned and a prep sink could also be added to the island if wanted . The working space between counters and islands needs to be 42 inches or a little more if you prefer (48 '') . I would also reverse the closet and the bathroom in the master bedroom. Not liking to walk through the bathroom to get something out of the closet . Moving the bathroom closer to the other plumbing will save a few dollars . Well just a few more things to think about now .
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Agree 100% with lefty47. Blueblond, it really would be worth your while, in my experience, to have a kitchen designer go over your plan and make the appropriate changes prior to contracting with the builder. It is much easier and more cost effective to make the changes now. The difference between a professionally designed kitchen and a builder plan is night and day. It is not hugely expensive to do. In fact, it will save you money in the long run.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    I would put Ref on the wall near the sunroof, You will gain all that extra working space. near the sink and you have plenty of room in that wall for Ref out of the way and a quick access to it from everywhere.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- OK, now for what I would do if I was your kitchen designer , (I use to be ) Extend the dining room wall out to be inline with the stove wall . Now get rid of that island , bring more cabinets around onto that wall , this will make a "U" shaped kitchen . Then the fridge can go on the end of that wall (facing stove across ) , then a gable panel to cover and finish the end . Now this is a lot better for viewing from living room because your not looking at the fridge . This gives you two corners (lazy-susans ) and more counter space . Now you still may have room for a small island (mobile ?) if you want . Personally I think the island would just be in the way . There - what do you think ??
  • marniejo
    10 years ago
    Since we are redesigning your floor plan... I noticed that you have a huge laundry room but not much in the way of a mudroom or a place to drop/hang/stash stuff coming in from the garage. I don't mean to impose myself, but I would want more space for a mudroom and a slightly smaller laundry (even though big laundry rooms are nice).
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    Consider a layout similar to Lefty's plan but leaving a archway between the dining and the kitchen just in front of where the refrigerator is currently shown on the plan.

This is a little off topic, but I would not recommend a master walk-in closet where you have to go through the bathroom to get to it.
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all so very much for this input. It is so helpful to hear from people who know what they're talking about!

To address some of the concerns...I would hesitate getting rid of the island because that is where I plan on having my "eat-in" kitchen. I didn't want a separate area and thought eating at the island would be sufficient. My builder prefers leaving 48 inches of space as well. I will look at flipping the island. But I agree. Another foot by the fridge would suffice it.

This isn't my last floorplan, as the updated one has a section in the laundry room for some "mudroom" shelves. We added a pocket door and moved it down 18 inches closer to the garage to fit in the traditional mudroom stuff. That way it can still be closed off and hidden if untidy, yet easily accessible.

As for the closet, I wondered about that too. But what are the other alternatives, given the layout?

I also loved the island for pantry space. I would love to switch the fridge and current pantry location, however wouldn't the fridge be way out of the work triangle?

What do you all think?

Thank you so much again. This is all so new to me and I appreciate your help!
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This pic shows the minor changes from other plan. Should have posted it to begin with.
  • Carol and Robert Clay
    10 years ago
    I feel your pain. We're in the process of finalizing our floor plan and no doubt I've spent more time on the kitchen than anywhere. I started with the layout in the plan, but turned it over to a kitchen planner and with the great input from Houzz folks, transformed it. You've gotten a lot of good advice but I'm still curious about the island. Like others said, it seems to be in no man's land. If this is going to be where people sit, what side?? It looks to me like they would be sitting on the right side with their backs to the family room, looking down the hallway to the laundry. Have you considered turning the island the other way?
  • PRO
    Designing Willamette Kitchen & Baths
    10 years ago
    Blueblond,

As a kitchen designer by trade... the refrigerator must come off the wall... Depending on the model 3" may not be enough. This will be a problem area ... My preference with this design is to put it on the the small wall adjacent to the range. It will have plenty of space. You can use the island for drop off. You may have enough space to have the refrigerator with a 24" pantry to the right allowing for a 3" filler against the wall...

This will open up the sink area and provide more counter space for prep. dishwasher can now can go to the left of sink... a better location that's not between the range and sink.
    (we don't want someone turning with a pot of boiling water only to trip on the dishwasher door that someone left down!)

Keep in mind.. contractors plans like this usually aren't really considering the kitchen cabinet layout. The contractor will send his client to the place he gets his cabinets from to rework the design!

Good luck!
  • PRO
    Designing Willamette Kitchen & Baths
    10 years ago
    Also. .. space always looks vast on floor plans! It's always a shock to see the real space after studying plans... always looks so much smaller in real life!
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh wow, I had never even thought about the dishwasher/range issue. When you say adjacent wall, do you mean the wall on the other side of the kitchen entry (right side)? Or across from the range, facing the range? I guess I'm just a little confused here.

This is such great input. It truly means a lot to me. Where would you add the built in microwave and trim kit in this floor plan as well. I fess it depends on where you are referencing the fridge.

If I turn the island direction, it doesn't really fit in the kitchen. Do you all think that would matter? I need enough room for 4-5 barstools. It does make sense to turn it though.

I have to figure this out very soon so I appreciate you all very much!!
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    You have lots of places to put the microwave in its own "cook center" that will improve the flow of the kitchen IMO. Here are a couple of ideas for locations NOT over the range. Remember to hover over the photos to enlarge.

This first pic shows the microwave near the pantry area
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/11th-st-traditional-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~2382984
    This one is close to the range, but not on top of it

These two are near the fridge
    Buena Vista House · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Edit to add another location - you can put a microwave in the island
    Modern arts & crafts kitchen with painted shaker style cabinets · More Info

Black & White · More Info
  • PRO
    Justin Doyle Homes
    10 years ago
    I can not agree enough about keeping 48" around an island. Especially if you are entertaining family and friends you will want to keep this space.

There have been a number of great suggestions that have been given to you. My only concern in turning the Ref. towards the range would be the depth of your refrigerator. Some of the new refrigerators can stick out pretty far past the front of the cabinets. Keep this in mind. The problem with counter depth refrigerators is they cost more for less storage space.

Also by turning the ref. you will squeeze the island as drawn out of the space and towards the sunroom to keep your clearances of 48". I would keep the ref. in its current spot but move it no less than 1-1/2" off the Dining Room wall towards the sink for clearance.

Are you doing a one level island or two? It sounds like you want the island to be your eat at table for the family. If it is 2 levels wrap the upper top around on the Sun Room side to get more seating. Then move the island towards the sink. This solves a traffic problem you may have. Whenever you come out of the Master or Garage hall to try and get to the Great Room you will have to walk around the island everyday making a hard right or left turn. By moving the island towns the sink you will bring it more in touch with the Kitchen space and give yourself a better traffic flow to the Great Room from the Master Bedroom. Your traffic flow now would make a slight left turn as opposed to a hard left or right turn when you want to go to the Great Room.

Please see my sketch of what I would suggest. Hope the attached picture shows up.

I hope this helps in some way in your process. Best of Luck to you on your first built home!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    Closet comment:
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    What if JDH's solution was angled?
  • PRO
    Justin Doyle Homes
    10 years ago
    Yes you can angle the island as well. Pending the shape or angle it might lose counter space or cabinet space. It really comes down to the finding the balance of storage vs sitting space. Great tweak suggestion!

Off topic here. I like the Master Bath layout suggestion by Mark. This allows one person to shower and the other to access the closet.

Amazing where these discussions can go when you share the whole plan. :)
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    All I can say is WOW WOW WOW!!! Thank you all so very much! I am not creative at all AND I have no experience in all of this. Our builder enhanced the very original kitchen plan but these suggestions alleviate all of my fears.

It really touches me the way you ALL have taken your time to help me. What generous people you are.

I am taking these changes to our builder tomorrow and know these make logistical sense. I think the island will actually be one level, but that doesn't change the seating possibilities.

Our fridge is a normal depth, so we will either probably place it by the pantry (if I can convince myself that won't be too far away) or allow it to bump out a little more.

I will look at angling it too. Of course if I had more money I would just make obvious changes but being on a budget means I am trying to be practical in my adjustments.
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would it make any sense to move the fridge to the right of the kitchen doorway? If that seems functional, is that my best solution as far as the fridge goes?

I guess I just need some confidence on this one. Would it be out of the way?
  • PRO
    Justin Doyle Homes
    10 years ago
    To help you in your thoughts on this just ask yourself these questions and you might get your answer.

1: Do you take items from the refrigerator and wash them in the sink? How often?
    2: Do you want to see the refrigerator from the Great Room?
    3: By moving the refrigerator you will have a lot more prep space to the left of the sink. Is this important to how you want to use the space?
    4: Does the new location add a lot of walking to and from the refrigerator in your daily routine of how you use the kitchen?

It just depends on how you plan to use the space. If you keep it as is your island will possibly become your daily food prep space.

Hope these help you as well!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    Another thing you can do is mock-up the proposed layout(s) and pretend to cook and prepare food in it. Layout the cabinets and appliances on the floor or the ground outside. If you live somewhere like where I do, you could make the whole kitchen out of snow.
  • Michelle Bergersen
    10 years ago
    If the worst comes to the worst you can pull the fridge out when cleaning and push back in when finished. I have had similar layouts and been fine, other times it has needed either pulling off the door shelves to get the inner ones out or pulling away from the wall.

You want to pull it fully out to dusty the back from time to time anyhow, to keep it functioning efficiently.
  • marniejo
    10 years ago
    By right of the kitchen doorway do you mean by the sun room? I Lie that idea. It would actually be closer to your cooktop and to the island for prep. Just further from the sink. Think about your cooking process and grocery unload process. For me, that layout would work. Bring in bags of groceries through garage, set on island, fridge is right there. Our fridge is close to cook top but maybe ten feet from sink and I hardly notice it. It all seem smaller when actually cooking. LOVE the idea of a single level island too, for sure!
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all again so much!! I talked to my wonderful builder this morning and he sent me the revised master bath plan within five minutes (I think he must have been snowed in today) and agreed with the new layout.

For the kitchen, he said when we get to that point in a couple of weeks we can walk through it and make any changes at all. Him and his team have been great so far. I would have never noticed the dishwasher/range issue, kitchen island issue, or some of the other glaringly obvious problems without your alls help.

We are still unsure about window placement in the bathroom as the original plan had an octagonal window to the side of the vanity to allow natural light for makeup. With the new layout we will just have to see if we can add one in there.

Here is the photo he sent me, exactly the same as the one you proposed.
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the very similar layout Mark Bisack. Thank you very much!!
  • blueblond
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm so sorry, I misspelled your name Mark Bischak!
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    The only place to add a window is above the toilet. I think he already showing a window there. If anything I would take that wall and the door out, it makes everything look cramped up, especially the toilet area.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    If you are able too, make the shower full width of the room with an opening to get into the shower to the right. This may allow you to not need to have a door or curtain. Also a window could be placed n the shower in the exterior wall opposite the opening. And, centering the door into the Bath would allow space for furniture to be placed on the south wall of the Master Bedroom. In addition, a small window could be installed between the sinks. That's it for now.
  • PRO
    Urbana Kitchens ~ Ellen Crystal ~ Designer
    10 years ago
    I'm weighing in late on this, but consider the following:

1) a Samsung fridge is usually very large (depth) and take a minimum of 3" if near a wall to open a door enough to access crispers etc. while it may be convenient near the sink, it will feel crowded & bulky there and there is barely enough room for the dishwasher & sink then.

2) The short wall near sunroom would be adequate to install the fridge & a full ht pantry. This becomes your go to spot for foodstuffs. Either fresh or dry. The tall pantry would be enough room for micro (since most things are reheated from fridge then handy to each other) landing on island

3) this leaves a generous L -shape for cooking & cleanup.

4) clean up area can house recycle center, dishwasher, glassware, dishware. Perhaps glass doors for china storage, cleaning supplies & cutting boards

5) Stove area would be room for larger pot drawers, corner lazy susan or magic corner fittings, tray storage. You could do a striking hood fan & feature at the stove. The stove can be a slide in style so more streamlined

6) island is a staging area. if this is a daily eating area make sure the raised counter is at least 18" deep. consider a prep sink. Micro could be here as an alternate.

7) consider how many cooks and how each area is like a station for their particular activity.
    most kitchen activities are 1-gather ingredients, 2-prep usually near sink 3- cook 4-serve 5 clean up. the best kitchens consider this flow.
    hopefully will be helpful for finalizing your plans.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Exellent proposal Urbana!
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    With so many different Ref styles on the market today, they need additional room when placed against the wall. I don't remember last time I installed a kitchen, where Ref was going against the wall, not to have 1 1/2 or 3" filler and this been has been an industry standard last few years to off-set Ref away from the wall. This could be an individual filler or Ref side panel.
  • M Sm
    7 years ago

blueblond A simple fix would be to shorten the wall next to the refrigerator so that it would end just behind the refrigerator door hinges. I did this with my new kitchen remodel, except I needed every inch I could get on the refrigerator side of the kitchen, so instead of keeping the 4-5" width wall, we took the wall back to the back of the refrigerator and my cabinet maker then made a beautiful panel (only 3/4" thick) on the side of the refrigerator that ended behind the hinges of my fridge door. Make sense?

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz