Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamfall

How can I update/modify oak trim without replacing window i.e. casing

jamfall
10 years ago
My house is 20 years old with honey oak trim throughout house , I want to update look would love to replace oak with different wood however my window casing is all oak and do not want to replace windows . Any suggestions for update

Comments (5)

• Katie Gooding
    10 years ago
    You could paint the window casings without updating them. Is that an option? Or are you looking to update without making changes to the casings?
  • jamfall
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's and option just not sure how difficult or long lasting paint would
    Be any recommendations
  • Katie Gooding
    10 years ago
    Honestly, there are a lot of people on here that paint their trim and have a lot of luck. I, on the other hand degrease, sanded, primed and painted the trim in my kitchen (the rest of the house had white except in the kitchen) and it hasn't held up the greatest. Of course, I have two kids under 5, so none of my white trim has held up that great. Short of painting it I don't know what you could do though. I'm not a fan of updating the rest of it and then leaving the window casings, maybe if you had a drape and valance that covered everything but the sash it would look okay, but I'm just not sure...or you could stain everything darker instead of going white, it's a much more expensive look...but a lot of work. Or you could do what I'd do, I'd probably just leave it alone for now...
    jamfall thanked Katie Gooding
  • litehearted
    9 years ago
    What's under the 'honey' stain? White oak, or red oak? If white oak, it might be worth stripping and choosing a more modern stain colour -- a light grey, perhaps. Or leave it natural and simply clear coat. If it is red oak, then more tricky. Our condo bldg. foyer and corridors had honey oak throughout. The board decided to have it stripped, and stained darker. It looks more up to date, but now whenever the wood is 'dinged' by a passing cart or whatever, the resulting scrape is much more visible. Keep that in mind. I would try to choose a colour that more closely resembles the actual wood, so that nicks and cuts are not as obvious. When we had our house, the previous owner painted the original 1927 dark stained trim white. If the paint chipped, you could see the dark stain. Annoying. Chips are not as obvious with honey stain, as it more closely resembles the natural colour of the oak. Just a thought. Good luck!
  • jamfall
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for sharing…the oak cabinets and trim are red oak ! ugh . I think I have decided to replace the trim and casing with painted white wood and now I am trying to decide if I should paint or reface the kitchen cabinets. Painting would be the more economical choice however my concern is as you voiced the wear and tear and possible chipping with 4 children and 2 dogs ! I am considering re facing i.e. replacing the doors and putting a skin over the exposed panels with a white rigid thermofoil product ( 3 x the cost of painting) however in the long run better durabillity. Just concerned with the veneer or skin that will be used on the non door panels.