Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What's the best Before and After you've ever seen?

Emily H
10 years ago
Any design transformations that completely blew you away? We'd love to hear about them and especially would love to see photos if you've got them.

Share your experience!

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Has to be home sweet home, but I'm partial, of course. We gutted, added on, renovated...and continue to renovate. Next step is creating balance and more upstairs space on the right -- plans we pulled during original build as we needed to move in time for baby, and has been on hold ever since while other projects came and went.
    (Cursor over first photo to see the "before.")
    Emily H thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • Luciana
    10 years ago
    There were a few on Houzz so drastically renovated, I actually looked for clues to make sure it's the same space!! But I didn't save them and don't feel like spending an hour trying to find them (I didn't know we would be taking a test, Emily!)

To appease you though, I offer the before and after of our master bedroom.

bed1.jpg · More Info

purple bedroom · More Info
    Emily H thanked Luciana
  • amanpino
    10 years ago
    Our little 50 sqm apartment in Luxembourg-city which had belonged to a person with compulsive hoarding syndrome and stayed empty for five years until we bought it an renovated it in 2004. We rented it out as a holiday home, often to artists performing in the theatre of Luxembourg-city, mainly opera singers or conductors, for 9 years and are using it now for our stays in Luxembourg when we are not staying in Spain.
  • amanpino
    10 years ago
    Other pictures of the same apartment
  • amanpino
    10 years ago
    And some more
  • amanpino
    10 years ago
    We changed the floor plan to get a little office with bookshelves, so that the living room feels less cluttered.
    We first wanted to put the shower where the toilet is but finally decided to keep the toilet in the same corner, just replace the tub by a shower. We actually replaced everything as the whole apartment had stayed in the 1960 state, except the good old radiators which had only been repainted.
    There is still a short presentation on YouTube from the time we rented it out:

Since we moved in, there have been some changes, but the structure is basically the same than in 2004
  • Christine Graves
    10 years ago
    Some before and after pictures of my kitchen....
  • PRO
    REG Architects LLC
    10 years ago
    After living in our "little old house" for 13 years, with a growing family of four, it was time to add on and renovate. Starting with a 1950's rambler, we bumped out the front and rear, and raised the pitch of the roof to accommodate a fun, in the attic, master retreat. We also added a garage to the side our the original carport. Hard to believe it's the same house!
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    @Christine...... Those are indeed dramatic before and after pics! Thanks for sharing them.

My change was also fairly significant.
  • pollygoose
    10 years ago
    @Christine, how smart you were to go for cosmetic changes to your basic cabinetry. The new colors, the addition of stone and wood flooring are remarkable! You have a truly lovely and well lit kitchen now, and it certainly cost you far less than gutting and starting over.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    @Sunshine Coast...
    Yep, that is dramatic!!! That must be in an older prestigious neighborhood that attracts people with money. What state?
  • PRO
    Nicely Done Kitchens
    10 years ago
    This is one of our favorite before and after photograph sets. There is such a stark contrast in the construction, style, quality, and overall feel for the space in the original kitchen compared to our redesign. The heart of the homeowner's home went from sterile and uninviting to a gorgeous, welcoming, functional space!
  • PRO
    Nicely Done Kitchens
    10 years ago
    This is another of our favorite constrasts from before to after. From country to hyper modern, we changed cathedral cabinets and wallpaper borders to glass bar tops and vertical focal-point tiling. It was an especially bold transformation!
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    @Nicely Done Kitchens...... THAT is a testimony to the real difference between the much beloved white kitchen and the warm atmosphere of neutrals and soft colors.

That was a beautiful remodel. Congratulations!

I suspect your client was NOT a younger person. I say that because they are heavily into white kitchens and white bathrooms with white subway tile everywhere! : /

Maybe it is just us older folks that appreciate that decorum..... ?
  • PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    10 years ago
    Here's a beautiful kitchen transformation done on a really tight budget! Rather than gutting out the whole kitchen and replacing all of the cabinets with new ones, we refaced this kitchen for a brand new look.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    10 years ago
    This stunning transformation completely updated a kitchen that was built in the 1950s! This kitchen was also done on a tight budget. Because we make and manufacture all of our products, here in the US, we're able to save our clients up to half the cost that other companies ask for.
  • ikwewe
    10 years ago
    I also did not save some of my faves from Houzz, but I do have pix of our time capsule house on the Space Coast, before we painted and after. We also lost the shutters, removed the shed that was blocking the view, added some landscaping and upgraded the front screened porch, meeting our goal of keeping the Mid Century look with a big improvement to curb appeal.
  • PRO
    Singleton Interiors, Allied ASID
    10 years ago
    This was a fun, budget-friendly kitchen renovation I designed...
  • Luciana
    10 years ago
    I have another one: our (gigantic!) back garden.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    Beautiful garden Luciana, but in my part of the world that is not a gigantic garden. : )
  • User
    10 years ago
  • PRO
    Nicely Done Kitchens
    10 years ago
    @kroze Thank you! We are passionate about our designs and the new life we bring to people's homes, and we think that's best demonstrated to others in befores and afters. We actually see a very healthy mix of life stages and life styles - it is interesting, because there is a lot of overlap in taste between the generations, believe it or not!
  • mkmort
    10 years ago
    My bathroom before and after
  • vernonma
    10 years ago
    This is my kitchen hard to recognize as the same place
  • PRO
    Sunlight Staging & Home Decor
    10 years ago
    Here are some before and after shots of a master bedroom makeover
  • ericafunnn
    10 years ago
    Some of the most amazing room or house transformations come from Robeson Design studios. Look them up on Youtube and they have AMAZING before and after transformations.
  • hinklestudio
    10 years ago
    Our own kitchen remodel that kept the original layout, but seriously upgraded the ergonomics, conveniences, appliance quality and of course aesthetics. Removing the wall to the dining room opened the flow of the house and extended the entertaining areas.
  • hinklestudio
    10 years ago
    Additional images show the north-facing wall that was removed and allowed the glass range hood to become a beautiful focal point. Design was HinkleStudio LLC. Contractor was Nathan Kerr of Lakeland Enterprises (now with Hager Cabinetry). Lexington, KY.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    @hinklestudio...... gorgeous transformation!....... love the warmth of the new color pallet!
  • PRO
    New Century Design Inc.
    7 years ago

We turned a 1920s run down squatter filled boarding house, into a heritage community jewel. It now houses two small businesses and is home to one of the owners. Salvaging as much as possible including brick, leaded windows, claw foot tub, hardwood floors and heat registers.

• PRO
    Sunshine Coast Home Design
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The most amazing transformation that I have experienced is a renovation of a dilapidated, spanish style stucco residence into a modern villa. You can see more images of the project at http://www.sunshinecoasthomedesign.com/projectBeachAvenue.php?projectName=/newProjects/newBeachAve

• PRO
    Design & Build . . . by Roger Perron, Inc.
    7 years ago

L.A. Remodel: Kitchen Now Spacious and Aesthetic -

Have a look at this "before" photo of the kitchen:

Remodel - Alhambra · More Info

And now, hold onto your hat - here is the "after" photo of the new kitchen:

• PRO
    Design & Build . . . by Roger Perron, Inc.
    7 years ago

L.A. Remodel: Kitchen Now Spacious and Aesthetic -

Have a look at this "before" photo of the kitchen:

And now, hold onto your hat - here is the "after" photo of the new kitchen: