Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randall_hurd

Gate Construction

Randall Hurd
10 years ago
I ordered some steel at measured cuts of 2 4X4 X12 beams cut one at 8ft and the other is 12 ft. Also 6 1"X3"X12' steel hollowed flat stock. I used 6lbs of welding rod. This is my house and I have a welder, so I thought I'd do it myself since that's the way I normally do things. So with that, I'm burying the locking plate post that is the 4"X4"X12' that's 8' tall and cementing it in ground three feet. I used 4 bags of standard concrete 50lb bag $2.42 ea @ Home Depot, on that post which was leveled and protruding 5' out of ground. I'm trying to decide at what depth should I sink the 4 X 4 X12 to have enough out of the ground to mount the Solar Panel, remote antenna, Camera, and hold the gate up that weighs whatever the gate weighs, that's made up of 6. 1X3X 12, and 6lbs of rod, and two Cedar Panel that are getting bolted on? And also, what hinges should I use to hold a gate that heavy whatever the weight comes to. The gates electronics are by Bull Dog and it's rated at a 1,600 gate. But a that not the gate weight, that just the capability of the mechanics if the gate weighed that much.
Horizontal fencing · More Info

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Architectural Fabricators
    10 years ago
    Hold on! We sink hinge posts in the ground 5' deep. On the gate operator, I would take the GTO back, and get a Liftmaster La400 gate operator. It is close to the same price and will save you a lot of headache in the future. An even better gate operator is the La500, but they are pretty pricey.
  • PRO
    Integrous
    9 years ago
    I would readily second the idea of pitching the bull dog and getting liftmaster. Much better system.
Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz