south188ave

Granite Imperfections

south188ave
We are currently building a new home. The granite was recently installed in the butler's pantry. After it was installed, I noticed several imperfections (each about the size of a quarter) and a small crack or fissure that you can feel when you run your hand across, but really isn't visible unless you study the piece. The fabricator assures me that, "this is normal" and, "up to their standards." Is there someone with countertop expertise that can advise me on what to do here? I think the flaws that have been filled are unacceptable. Will the crack or fissure compromise the strength of the granite?

Sophie Wheeler
    Nothing you show is structurally compromises the stone. Even a chip or crack, if repaired with the proper epoxy, will have a super strong bond with the stone that will resist pulling apart more than the stone itself would. Natural products have natural variations. Mother Nature doesn't have imperfections. If having something uniform was important to you, then perhaps choosing a manmade quartz would be a better choice for you.
  • okdokegal
    DId you hand choose the piece, personally choose it?

I agree about Mother Nature isn't factory-perfect, but. If you chose it yourself you will probably have to live with it. I also agree that properly reinforced/repaired, it should be satisfactory and give you a lifetime of service.

I agree with Sophie Wheeler about perhaps a manmade product might have suited better. The piece as shown I think is lovely.

Kitchen backsplash ideas for ubatuba granite

Thank you all so much for your input! I am just learning my way around this site & it's wonderful. I love all the suggestions so far, looks like I have my work cut out for me. I knew we were keeping the oak cabinets from the start, I love them. Then came the dark granite, which tied in nicely & that is where we came to a halt trying to figure out backsplash, paint colors and flooring. Think we are going to do a backsplash from the counter up to the bottoms of cabinets and then paint above them and around the rest of the area. Please keep the ideas and photos coming, I am seeing ideas I would not have thought of.

Repair of Natural Imperfections in Granite

Looks like you have an inexpensive slab of granite that has a lot of what is called "fill." Stone is an organic material and some slabs are better than others. The ones that are not so good and have pits and imperfections get filled with epoxy. If you selected that particular slab in person, then buyer beware. If you selected a "type of granite" by name and from a small sample I think you have position. All stone varies from quarry to quarry and slab to slab. You do get colors in one that may not be in another. This looks sub par no matter what, at this point you are an unhappy customer. If they have any sense of service and satisfaction, they will take this slab back and get you another of same or like value.

Imperfection in absolute black granite?

No flaw. This is a natural variation in a natural product. Just like emeralds have "inclusions" in them so to does any other natural stone have "inclusions" in them. It is part of the Earth's manufacturing process.

Granite or Quartz?

The high-end Quartz products, like Pental Quartz Statuario, are almost impossible to detect that they are man made. Some quartz looks very man made. The one you have chosen has a very beautiful, calm, marble like quality...which is what is meant to resemble/replace in a kitchen.
    Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
    All good! ;)
  • south188ave
    I LOVE the Super White granite I chose. I love the variation and the color. I would NOT want something uniform, but I don't think the quarter-sized rectangular, poorly filled flaw is pretty at all. I don't even mind the crack as long as it doesn't compromise the strength/stability of the stone. (It goes all the way along the top and under the lip of the countertop.) I took a picture of the piece before it was fabricated (I'll attach it here). I looked it over pretty well at the shop and never saw anything like this on the remnant, nor was it pointed out to me. I love the variation, I don't think the quarter-sized rectangular and oval spots right near the edge of my countertop are right!
    Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
    How do you know the flaw have been filled? From the images, it appeares to be natural anomalies and not filled voids
    GN Builders L.L.C
    Granite is a natural stone and has crystalline structure, so what you see it could be the tiny spaces between mineral crystals, some call them natural divisions which look like cracks but they not considered to be structural defects. If I'm not mistaken, they come from pressure and heat during Granite formation and that is part of natural beauty of stone. It will not effect its durability.
    With that said and for the same concerns as you have, people look for clean and perfect surface when selecting granite slabs because when they see something like this, they become worried. For the same reason Granite fabricators also try to use sections of Granite which don't have spaces when cutting Granite, and most of the time they can accomplish that, but sometimes you can't, probably what happened in your case.
    south188ave thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • okdokegal
    If it bothers you a lot then your only recourse is to have a discussion with the stone fab place. And know if you selected the piece you may have less leverage about anything being done. Now it could be that the stuff popped/pipped off after during cutting, but. I'm used to staring at stone patterns and I am hard pressed to find where the flaws in the first picture are on that main slab, and the piece of countertop as pictured, I did pick out of that slab.

It's one that can be argued for a long time. If you're not happy and can't be happy about it then you'll have to talk to the fabricators. From the pictures you posted it doesn't look that bad, but. In person things can look a LOT different!
    south188ave thanked okdokegal
  • south188ave
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but in real life you can see there is some type of gel/silicon type material in the little rectangular piece and the diamond shaped spot above it.
  • okdokegal
    Then talk to them about it. I'll take your word that it's much more visible in person...
  • laurakdesigns
    I think they should replace it. There doesn't appear to be anything like that on the ordinal stone. Have them show if so. It would bug me forever-- so easier to fix now
    south188ave thanked laurakdesigns
  • south188ave
    Thank you, Okdokegal! Thank you to all of you for taking the time to respond! I do feel better about the structural integrity of the piece. If those little filled spots weren't near the front edge, I don't think I'd be so bothered by them. It truly is a beautiful piece of granite! There is just no hiding those spots (no strategically placed decorations or vase of fresh flowers could sit on the front edge of the counter.) The only thing I can think is that this happened during the fabrication and not before. Is that possible?
    GN Builders L.L.C
    It is very hard to have something like this replaced, being that customer selected the slab, being this natural stone and not man-made material... unless it wasn't there when stone was selected and they used the wrong slab, but you will need a picture of the slab you selected showing it wasn't there.Also, to get something like this replaced the legal way, you have to prove the stone is defective which is very hard to do with a natural made material. The good thing is, the stone is in Butlers Pantry and nobody will ever notice, being a small area with minimal light exposure for the most part, etc so its not such a big deal.
    If its really bad and it bugs you... try talking to the Fabricator, being this a small piece, and just to make customer happy and satisfied some guys will replace it or might even fix it by grinding the area and use a polishing wheel to make it less obvious without making a pocket... seen this happen quiet a few times. If not by looking at the picture, and I'm sure this was a close up shot, so if standing next to it in full height it might not look so bad.

Good luck
  • south188ave
    Should I be concerned about the stability of the stone? The crack runs all the way though and can be seen underneath the countertop. Here are a few more pictures. The crack runs down the top of the stone, down the front edge (2nd pic), and underneath (last pic). A small wine/beverage refrigerator will go underneath the cracked side of the stone.
  • toats
    is that normal on the bottom? to have that mesh grid? and what is spread all over the bottom? did they break your slab and then attempt to repair it? idk jack about installing granite, but i dont think id accept this...hope a granite pro sees this and helps you out.
    south188ave thanked toats
  • south188ave
    I think the mesh underneath is normal, but a crack all the way through... I am not happy about this!
  • toats
    i did google the mesh, it is normal....but that crack just cant be good
    south188ave thanked toats
    GN Builders L.L.C
    Mesh is applied to the back just to improves the stability of the stone during shipping. Most of the time you will see that on the lighter colors of granite because lighter colors seems to be softer, and also on marble which can have large amount of veins in the stone and can be the worst material to transport or work with... So the quarries apply polyester mesh to help hold the material together, because without it they would fall apart, but after fabrication is completed,and stone is installed, it will perform as any other stone.
    south188ave thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • south188ave
    GN Builders LLC, do you think there is any chance this piece may not hold up because it is cracked all the way through?
    GN Builders L.L.C
    I don't know, I can't answer that. I'm not sure what kind of a crack that is and if it was filled with resin. Hard to tell from a picture. Sometimes they use "Resin" filling to reduce the appearance of so called “pits” and such stone must be properly labeled and fabricator should be notified and so is the consumer for that matter.
    south188ave thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • dfromthebdot
    It's a beautiful slab, but the crack and the rectangle shaped hole looks terrible! I could not accept this and am having a hard time with the experts here saying its normal. I can understand maybe the holes but there has to be a way to better fill them. Looks like chunks of stone popped out. The crack must have happened during installation and they don't want to take responsibility for it.
    John J. O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    There appear to be pieces that have fallen out--that is not quite the same as a flaw in the stone. Sure, it may be a result of a natural flaw, but it seems to be a shallow hole in your counter. If repaired with the proper epoxy, it may "disappear" and disappear it should, at no cost to you. Examine the fissure to determine whether there is risk that the stone will slake off another piece. Flaws in the stone are normal. Pieces falling off is not acceptable.
  • nestaway
    Oh my! I am trying to decide what countertop material to go with and I can say IF this is normal I would not want to consider granite at all. It does not look natural to me, I like inconsistant patterns and variations, even the little pits, but these rectangles seem too straight a line to be natural in my very uneducated opinion. I've never seen anything like this online or in person. I think those rectangular areas deter from the beauty of the stone and the application and if it's cracked through and through that is a very scary issue. Please keep posting as this progresses.
  • south188ave
    I found two more cracked pieces of granite in the house. When I spoke with the fabricator he said, "I doubt it. That would be like lightening striking three times in one place." He came to look. He said yes they are cracked. They said they would replace the bathroom vanity backsplash, but not the butler pantry or mud room granite. I'm guessing that is because the material used in the butler's pantry and mud room are more expensive and harder to come by. So it is okay if they are cracked. The granite that is more readily available and easy to find is no problem to replace.
    GN Builders L.L.C
    It can only be OK with you... and its not his call what to replace or not. You're a paying customer and if you got defective or cracked Granite, it should be replaced. Period.
    If you OK with it than leave it alone... If this is bugging you, and I can tell it does, it will keep on bugging you each time you there doing something.

With that said, and I'm not sure what that looks like in reality, because pictures show there is a crack, but if you look at the Granite with the naked eye and not the camera zoom, only you can really see how bad it is and how noticeable that crack is... So being this a butlers counter, and if the area in question doesn't look that bad of barely noticeable to the naked eye, and if you can live with it without driving yourself nuts, than just leave it alone, the chance of it breaking is slim to none.

Good luck I hope it works out.
  • nrb263
    I would insist that they replace all of the cracked pieces. There is no reason your counter tops should be cracked other than poor craftsmanship which seems to be the case if you had the same fabricator install all three pieces. The first few pictures you show of the missing pieces in the stone are completely unacceptable. Even if they had to repair a natural void in the stone, they did a terrible job. Honestly, I would request your money back and look for a better contractor to finish the work.
    Design Details
    Some species are just prone to cracks and I would expect a few in a highly veined slab. It's usually a repairable problem but it has to be done well. In the first image there is no sense of scale but I agree with soberg that the looks like the repair was done by an untrained hand.
  • nestaway
    Ok, I would be wigging out completely........NO WAY would I accept this nor would I have faith in any repair by this contractor.
  • Sue

When I look at my new granite countertop it looks wonderful until I look from a distance and the light is shining on it. Then is looks like someone has spilled something on it or it has splashes on it. It looks somewhat hazy in spots. Is this due to the different patterns or what my concern has been is that the sealer wasnt applied correctly. How would I know which it is?

Ellsworth Design Build
    Sue you should start a new post with photos versus restarting a post from 2014
  • barncatz

Sue, you might want to start your own post to get more responses. You should say what type of granite you have and if you can capture the 'haze' in a photo, post that as well. As I understand it, some types of granite don't need sealer and it just sits on top. That's why knowing your granite will help folks answer.

Lastly, I have whitish granite, Colonial White, that needed a sealer. When I first got it, some of the quartz or other minerals looked 'matte' compared to polished areas, or just caught the light differently, and I would try to 'clean them off'. I don't know if that's what is going on with yours.

What do think of this piece.. I am not happy with the big yellow line and the 2 sploshes n the middle. I think it breaks the look. What do u think.. Is it inferior and flawed.

GN Builders L.L.C

@HU-618955793 It's the beauty of the natural stone, if you don't like that, pick a different slab from a different lot.