luckylyn5

What is your bathroom design pet peeve?

Lynda
Over the years in looking at model and spec homes (many of them high end, expensive homes), I noticed the same design mistake over and over again. The bathroom would have a beautiful large walk-in shower with a bench, perfect for sitting while shaving legs. But there wasn't a handheld shower or other water source in reaching distance.

I always wondered - were these showers designed by men and/or builders who had limited understanding of women's needs? The shower pictured is gorgeous, but in looking at it from a functional standpoint, I can't imagine it working for me.

Tell me, what is YOUR bathroom design pet peeve?

http://houzz.com/photos/153244

• shars55
    I spend as little time in the bathroom as possible, but when both my husband and I are getting ready at the same time, I want my own space. Don't need a lounge area, but I love double sinks. I do use my big tub, and I love my big shower. It's not that big of a deal to keep clean.
  • oklouise
    hate glass shower screens!! they are horrible to clean but rarely look clean and too easy to walk into. I'm much happier with my shower curtains: they keep water in the shower, provide privacy and a splash of changeable colour and can be thrown in the wash and hung straight back up. I can buy hundreds of lovely new shower curtains for the cost of a simple glass screen!

How many share my bathroom pet peeve?

Talk about celebrating the "throne". I hate toilets. No matter how much you clean them, they're still going to get "cooties" on them that I can see. And I don't want to see those "cooties" from the tub, especially. I like where my toilet is. When I'm sitting on it, I can't see myself in the mirror across from me (too high). I also have a fan right above it. And there is a high window next to it. No spray air freshener is needed, ha ha! The only thing I have to be careful of is the neighbors getting "wind" of anything if I leave the window open. But I only have to worry about that in the summer, LOL!

Need help with family bathroom and master bathroom design

Master bathroom: Eliminate the window in the shower from the plan. Enlarge the master vanity to have two sinks and more drawer storage. I assume that what looks like two toilets is actually one toilet plus one bidet. You need the two closets! Once you decide what to wear, bring the pieces into the bedroom and get dressed there where you have plenty of space. Put a chair against the wall to the right of the closet area and two hooks on the wall to hang your items before dressing.

Bathroom lighting question. any professional bathroom designers here?

are you redoing the countertop and sinks or just the lighting/cabinets? If you have a single handle faucet, you can fudge it to the side a bit and angle it, then line the medicine cabinets with the faucets. If your bathroom is really traditional this won't work but you can do it in a more contemporary space.

POLL: If you work from home, what's your biggest pet peeve?

I agree that you can feel like you're always at work! My niece moved to a new city in California but was able to keep her old job in New York State by working remotely, but she found a local office that was set up for remote workers to use internet and office supplies, and to get much-needed human interaction! She really enjoys working from home knowing she doesn't have to be isolated every day.
  • adivra
    Love the comments about glass doors. I want a shower big enough to have a bench, but haven't come up with a design without glass doors.
    Carolina Moncion Design
    I enjoy both large and small bathrooms. One of my pet peeves is not enough storage for all of the female styling accessories close to the makeup vanity.

I've run into several of these oversights and once the interview is over, adding the extra cabinetry is a sigh of relief for many clients. I suppose my pet peeve is that these storage needs (for hot rollers, straightening irons and curling irons and makeup altogether) are completely omitted by the architect. If there is no space for those things closest to he vanity, then they should be somewhere closeby.

Another pet peeve is the lighting. It's never adequate for the homeowner. It's always overhead instead of along the sides, the top and the bottom to create even lighting which is important while grooming.

The list of pet peeves is endless...
  • Rhonda Is
    Hate small bathrooms. I need space and I prefer to have a water closet and tub and shower separate.

Closets in the bathroom. I just don't get it.

Toilets next to the bathtubs. When I take a bath I don't want to look over and see a toilet.

Carpet! Seriously?!? Gross!
    Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
    Light fixtures installed OVER the mirror. How is the light produced going to reach your face below your cheekbones? Get that fixture onto the sides of the mirror even if the mirror is only 14 inches wide. Oh, thanks for asking :) I feel better now!
  • Serena Butler
    Haha Sophie, you mean like this??? It's ridiculous, isn't it? We have a huge tub right now and it takes up so much space & is used so rarely, we're skipping it in the house we're currently planning to build and just doing a nice BIG shower. You know, that thing you use pretty much EVERY day!
  • wisneb
    Gigantic tubs which seem like a waste.
    Glass shower doors/surrounds; too hard to keep clean and I don't want the shower on display anyway.
    I'd prefer a walk-in shower without doors; it can be done.
    Two sinks fine, but we never are in the bathroom together.
    I'd prefer my own private bathroom for my own things.
    Walls of mirrors; I prefer a framed mirror only.
    A window is always nice for fresh air and light.
  • rubyloves2shop

Poor lighting, not enough storage, lack of ventilation, overdone tile work that looks busy and chops up the space, cluttered counter tops...should I go on?

• Melynda
    If I am going to spend very long in a bathroom a book rack is probably of more use than spa amenities!

A shower large enough to move around in without hitting the sides is lovely. Much bigger than that and it feels cold and uncomfortable to me.

I loved the observation about having a nice bench to shave legs upon, but no water within reach. I'd skip the rain shower head for a nice handheld placed in a clever spot.

Double sinks aren't very useful (even during our honeymoon era, hubby and I had no desire to be brushing our teeth together) unless you plan on using them like the mad hatter's tea table and move on to the next when the first gets too dirty. ;-)
  • resist9

1. Bad ventilation. Why don't people put external windows in bathrooms? Or at least a very strong externally-vented fan.

2. Toilets right next to the tub or shower, unless the room is so small that there is no other option. Ideally the toilet should be in its own separate enclosure. If you are spending mega bucks on a high end bathroom, you can do this.

3. Brown color scheme that looks like poop.

4. Counter top that extends over the back of the toilet. Why?

5. Carpeted floors, upholstered furniture, fake flowers.

6. Towel rack above or right next to the toilet in a room that's large enough for them to be elsewhere.

7. Wallpaper that will inevitably peel from the humidity.

• notadumbblond
    Love my glass shower doors... I use a little RainX windshield wiper fluid biweekly, and it keeps clean with no effort. I like every bit of light I can get in the shower for shaving purposes.

I love my bath time. I take an hour bath 9 out of 10 nights before bed. It gives me down time. I either read or bring my iPad and read my emails and watch my shows.

My complaint are toilets squeezed in between two walls. My husband likes a little space while doing his business...and I hate squeezing in to clean with my head halfway in the toilet to get behind to clean (how the heck do the dust bunnies squeeze in there anyway??)
  • D DN
    I don't like a toilet that's inches from the tub. I know little droplets of water (and waste) hit surfaces with every flush. I prefer the surface not be the one in which I'm attempting to get clean.
  • cabingirl13

Toilet paper holders mounted in the most awkward places....

• ninigret

i dont understand about clear glass shower phobia and being afraid someone will walk in the bathroom... i just dont understand. do people walk into bathrooms where other people are, uninvited? i mean i'm good with whatever limits partners/households work out with bathroom privacy.... but do people not have a catch on their bathroom door if they're sensitive?

its your bathroom, you should build it however you like, with opaque shower enclosure if thats what you need. but i gotta say its about you, not about glass showers.

• joanbllt

The master bedroom has a walkthru closet to the bathroom - the toilet and both doors are lined up with the bedroom window. When I remodelled - did not want the cost of moving plumbing - so issue still remains - I have an architectural program and have redesigned the bedroom/bathroom area in so many more convenient ways. Some architects should have their heads examined.

• picosinge

Huge master bathrooms in high-end houses with only one toilet! I am perfectly happy to shower in full view of my BF, I am OK to brush my teeth and put on makeup when he is around, but it would be so nice to have his and her own toilet in separate enclosures.

• Kelley Dockrey
    my pet peeves:

1. noisy bathroom fans --- what a way to ruin a beautiful space. i prefer a continuous in line exhaust fan with a fan out of sight and out of mind and you do not have to worry about somebody forgetting to turn it off or on.

2. large free standing tubs that take center stage, but get little use as evidenced by the dust collecting on them and behind them.

3. toilets that are not tucked away in a corner and make you feel like you are sitting in the middle of the room. with so much space, please put the toilet in a water closet and the bathroom will have more utility for multiple users.

4. showers that have limited space but are crammed with amenities like that postage-sized bench that is too small to sit on.
  • willy4
    TV I think is a waste, I really don't want to hang out there!
    adalisa frazzini

Toilets that are in line with the bathroom entrance. In every home I’ve ever been in mine or not, bathroom doors are usually open unless the room is occupied. So why any architect or designer would think the perfect place for the toilet (especially if seats are left up) would be in plain view from anywhere that bathroom door is visible? Even if the toilet is in it’s own toilet room within a bath, I’ve seen so many plans where the door into toilet room is direct view walking into bath or even from bedroom looking into bath? Whhhyyyyyy?? :)

• jhmarie

I must be the only one - but I hate the toilet in a toilet room - small, claustrophobic and no place for extra TP or female stuff, no access to clean water. No place to tuck away the Sunday sudoko puzzle. Even when they have some storage place - it just feels like a restroom stall. I also do not like the huge bathrooms. I was thinking about the time spent cleaning when i realized anyone who can afford the huge bathroom can afford a maid.

• bungalowmo

No TUB!!

• rachuba
    Lack of natural light, huge tub which I won't use, no hand held shower head, how do you clean the walls and floor without one? Carpeted bathrooms are the worst. Yuck.
  • ninigret

jhmarie, you arent the only one. we did split the hall bathroom when our son and daughter were young but we put the toilet in with the tub/shower and had a pocket door on it. so it was a good amount of space.

• pdk920

Tiny cramped bathrooms aren't good; huge, space-&-energy-wasting ones are even worse. I'm happy with a room big enough for tub and/or shower, sink and toilet, good lighting and ventilation plus enough storage room for essentials. Nice smooth, easy-to-clean surfaces in a pleasant color. Anything more is just theater, something for the maid to clean.

• greenfish1234
    I have to say that I can not WAIT. For my glass shower door so I will no longer have to suffer the draught/flood that occurs every time my husband peeks at me in the shower. I don't need the privacy, i need the warmth! Maybe we should get him one of those upholstered daybeds in there! Not!
    Interesting about the bench-I use it to put my leg on not sit on. Maybe I've got it wrong.

Can't believe no one has mentioned...drumroll...radiators next to toilet!! I must have bought ten covers in the last few years, finally just covered it in TINFOIL!! That and toilets next to tub. Hate the thought of my bath mat getting peed on. Or stepping out of tub on to pee. Notadum-you now have me terrified about my future bathroom which has the toilet sequestered in a nook. Soon my face, too, will be in the toilet!
  • pdk920

Unfortunately in small bathrooms there's frequently little choice about where to locate the toilet. Mine is between the tub/shower and sink. As soon as I replace the cabinet with a pedestal lav, where will the paper holder go? And where in the world can I put a grab bar? Can it be mounted on the floor?

• notadumbblond
    Lol...Green, we can start a club... And get a special tiara made out of a toilet seat!
  • soulsweetness
    I hate bathtubs with legs...what if they break!?!? As far as the shower with no reachable water source I have never thought about that but its so true!!! A a small faucet would be nice at the edge of the bench.
  • kittnkaboodle
    Some master baths have no door! No way would I purchase a home with that design..
  • Lainey Stern
    We will be remodeling our 1970s master bathroom starting next month . My questionable thing is who in the 70s thought sunken roman tubs were a good idea? Can't wait to demolish it.
  • Kristi Traynor
    Hate shower and or tubs that don't have any lighting. I don't like shaving my legs in the dark!
  • Sheila Schmitz

Cold floors in the morning!

• sootsprite
    I do not understand combining the master closet and bathroom. We have to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet. And since when is moisture in a closet a good idea?
  • sandiocd
    Agree with many of these, but thing I hate most is any shower with a door on a track--glass, metal or any other material. Thankfully you don't see them as much lately, No way to clean in the track and looks gross pretty quickly.

Also, I MUST have a tub! Trend away from tubs makes me sad...A good soak after exercise is my idea of luxury!
  • jonathan3

The water is hard in here so we have no door and no shower curtain--just tile to clean. This is much better for me when it comes to cleaning.

• Andrea T.
    We redid our master bath with a large glass shower that includes a hand-held shower head, a rain head on the ceiling and four spray panels. That is my kind of luxury! We chose not to put in a tub. I don't remember the last time I had time for a soak!

There is a bench in the shower which I love for being able to put my leg up while shaving. Another reason we added the bench is because this will be our retirement home and the bench will be handy ifs was of us needs to help the other in the shower one day.

We did one sink and instead of the second I have a small vanity area in which to dry my hair and put on my makeup. In 30 years of marriage I don't think we've ever had to get ready at the same time.

It's space was not an issue I would've had a separate water closet as well as the second sink.
    Studio M Interior Design

I'm pretty sure that my biggest bath design pet peeves are not having enough storage space for things that shouldn't just be cluttering the counter space as well as the placement of the TP roll holder. Bathrooms should be intuitive more than anything else, in my opinion.

• stlouisgaltoo
    The Obama bulbs that take ten minutes to shed light in my small space. I flip on the light.....go vacuum the main floor.....THEN ....i can take my shower. Go grief! AND this space has a window! Over 50 eyes need light!
  • cfollowell
    My husband and I have owned our own business almost since the beginning of our marriage. We get ready at the same time for everything. So separate toilets, each in its own enclosure, was a must for me when we built our house 20 years ago. It is a wonderful luxury as Pocosinge mentions above.
  • leelee

stlouisgaltoo, Here a news flash for you straight from Wikipedia-- When the Act was introduced in the Senate in June 2007, it was combined with Senate Bill S. 1419: Renewable Fuels, Consumer Protection, and Energy Efficiency Act of 2007.[4] This amended version passed the Senate on June 21, 2007.[5][6] After further amendments and negotiation between the House and Senate, a revised bill passed both houses on December 18, 2007[7] and PresidentBush, a Republican, signed it into law on December 19, 2007, in response to his "Twenty in Ten" challenge to reduce gasoline consumption by 20% in 10 years.[8]

So it's really Bush Bulbs. Thanks again, George.

• greenfish1234
    Lol ladies, go LED! They don't have to warm up :)
  • ninigret

there are dual technology bulbs that have an led starter and then go over to cfl. best of both worlds.

Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs

Pet peeves? 1. Large bathrooms with a toilet set in the middle (it's not really a throne after all), 2. Too large of a shower that makes showering in the winter months a bit chilly. 3. Placement of the shower's faucet handles so that you have to get into the shower and have the water hit you before it has warmed up enough, 4. Not enough counter and/or storage space for ALL the stuff we need and use everyday, 5. Showers without a place to prop up your leg while shaving, 6. No natural light/venting

• Janie Burton
    The toilet not in a separate four walled space with a door is senseless to me. Think privacy. Why create a beautiful master bath with expensive finishes and have a exposed toilet ruining the ambiance! Other irritations are long countertops with only one sink when there is quite enough space for two sinks. When building the walk in shower have the contractor design and build it so you don't have to step over anything. As people age, that built up shower entryway can become a major problem. Also, in these large showers have two separate shower heads and temperature control fixtures for each. Even if you choose to shower separately, each person has their preferred temperature already chosen and set. It speeds up the getting ready process.
    John J. O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design

Peeve: trend over function--and that takes many forms. The bathroom should be entirely functional, then beautiful. Work out the function first and the rest is easy.

Criteria for my own bath includes: easy clean, good storage, good and quiet ventilation, warmth, sense of a larger space than it actually is, distinctive elements.

Solution:
    * ample space around fixtures; porcelain tile flooring / baseboards in the sink/toilet area; same on floor, walls and ceiling in the shower area;
    * large chest of drawers as vanity (no mdf in humid areas thx); cubbies built behind, the whole topped with Carrara marble; Thai rice basket for TP (not a wall mounted roll) and a large Celadon vase to hide exercise "stuff" ;
    * underfloor heating, Amba towel warmer; shower is fitted for steam, with a long bench and floor to ceiling glass (something I like for every shower as it means a warm space to towel off and good control of humidity; hand held shower by Delta fits into a shower ring to complete a rain shower effect with the hand held advantage. Niche for shampoo, lights on dimmers for relaxing in steam;
    * distinctive elements include the Celadon, Thai basket, antique gilt frame around the mirror, vanity made from a piece of furniture rather than mdf, Carrara rolled edge on the bench matches the sink counter and complements the porcelain "Carrara" tiles.

Changes I would make: a larger, two-level niche. 2" more in the depth of the bench, keeping the same standing space.

Other thoughts: my partner fell in love with the glass vessel sink installed to pass inspection and we've kept it rather than the ceramic one purchased in Thailand. The charcoal coloured fish on that sink grounded a design decision to add two charcoal-backed glass tile stripes in the shower. On reflection, the glass vessel helps the counter space seem larger than it would with the original plan. This particular vessel (not true of all) is mounted on a chrome ring that makes cleaning around it very easy.

The interior hardward is all matching chrome with the exterior hardware (door handle) the brushed stainless used throughout the house.

Tip: attention to details like this takes ordinary to custom and typically costs no more--but must be built into the project plan as the handset parts must be ordered to secure the different finish inside and out.

• susanbehrman

Okay - I'm feeling peevish!
    1- Time for pedestal sinks to fade gently away - sinks need counters and storage! exception - powder room.
    2- Boxy vanities. Mine is 10' long, but only 20" wide except where the single sink is installed in the center - and there the countertop angles out to 25". It's a custom cabinet, but there are a lot of design options that break out of the 'standard' boxy mold. Bath cabinets should not be designed to the same standard measurements as kitchen cabinets.
    3- Okay, sorry, but vessel sinks have been trended to death.
    4- Toilets in a small claustrophobic windowless compartment. Mine is in a private nook, but I just don't want company in the bathroom while I am on the toilet - private or not!

Things I'd do again: Single sink (no conflict in our house), beautiful wallpaper (no issues at all), creamy white tile (timeless), steam shower (heaven), windows on either side of the sink with a mirror between (great lighting), separate lighted & magnified vanity mirror, heated floors (the cat told me to definitely mention this), lots of storage, a 3' x 4' shower with tiled in bench, really good ventilation, towel hooks instead of bars.

Things I wish I had: A deep soaking tub with a fireplace at the foot end. That I'd use twice a year, but still!

• ninigret

thank heavens no one can sneak into our master baths at night and steal what we like and leave other people's trends there!

• rachuba
    Almost finished with the remodel of the master bath. Corrected several peeves, including sinks, tub and toilet in colors other than white! (Purple!). Tile countertops. Tiny shower, huge unused tub. No lighting but cans in the ceiling. The tub has been replaced with a huge, no threshold, walk-in shower, the tiny shower is now a laundry center, the sinks and toilet are white, and sconce lighting, granite counter.
  • cparfc438
    Putting the toilet paper holder along the same wall as the toilet tank. No adult or child can easily reach it from a seated position!