Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrianne_a

paint the balusters?

Adrianne
10 years ago
The hand rail and balusters don't flow with the rest of the house. I'm thinking about knocking the trim molding off the posts.. Up for any suggestions except replacing the entire thing.

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    a nice update would to paint I wouldn't rip it out unless you don't like the configuration
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- You could trim it all down and paint it all black for the easy fix for a modern look. Replacing with a glass and metal stair railing is going to be expensive. Try painting it all first and then maybe do something more later on when you can afford it. I think having it all black will look nice and up dated .
    Adrianne thanked lefty47
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    actually we are getting it ready to sale..
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Someone mentioned not only painting the whole thing black but all the kick board threw out the house.. I liked the thought but I'm not sure if it would be something that would sale.. but on the other hand what do I do with this mess?
  • Dawn
    10 years ago
    By kick boards, do you mean baseboards? I would NOT paint them black, especially if you are trying to sell the house. The quickest remedy would be to paint the balusters white to match all the rest of the trim in your house. I think painting the balusters black would look awesome, but it won't necessarily appeal to the highest number of people which is what you want to do if you're trying to sell your house.
    Adrianne thanked Dawn
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    yes kick boards = baseboards.. and I agree.. I would be surprised if black appealed to the average buyer.. It is very bold.. I don't think it would go with my decor either..
  • togetherbydesign
    10 years ago
    I totally agree with sooper_mom!
    The natural wood looks dated and "builder done". The black would be great...but you are selling so I would do white. You have than prepared the surface for another color later and new owners can add their favorite touches.
    Sand lightly first...wipe down well with tack cloth...base coat and top coat. Use the same or close as possible paint color as your your base board in the picture.
  • Dawn
    10 years ago
    I painted my balusters white last year. The best tip I can give you is to lightly sand the wood and use a good primer before you paint. It's so much more durable that way. Good luck with your sale!
    Adrianne thanked Dawn
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    10 years ago
    I use stripper on the wood & come back with a white semi transparent oil finish. You can add coats to move it to more white, but still show the grain of the wood.
    Adrianne thanked Custom Home Planning Center
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    deco is spot on. :)
    Adrianne thanked Denita
  • togetherbydesign
    10 years ago
    Touché decoenthusiate. Painting balusters is a lot of work. Look around your home and really evaluate what is going to hinder a sale. This project maybe bother sum to you and not to a buyer.
    Adrianne thanked togetherbydesign
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree.. Just putting the feelers out..
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Balusters are actually wavy metal.. So I would probably just spray paint them if I decided to paint.. The posts and handrail are wood.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    HI -- Adrianne --- Black would look very elegant , but as you said your selling so I agree to painting out the wood with white like the rest of your trims . That would be more appealing to the general buyers . That white baseboard needs to continue down the stairs to finish the look or put an ending block there or remove that baseboard and just have a small 1/4 round or other small trim piece . Good luck selling your house !
    Adrianne thanked lefty47
  • Imagine That Leary
    10 years ago
    Do paint black! Put a different kind of paint on the wall instead of the flat paint. Maybe satin...
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What looks like white is actually Benjamin Moore Kitten Whisker.. So would you say white or Kitten Whisker? This is what it would kind of resemble if I did
    Valley View Model - Sun Valley Design · More Info
  • togetherbydesign
    10 years ago
    Hi again..Lovey last look...do you want to do the work?
    All the wood trim in the area will have to be painted to carry forth this look.
    If you do go ahead...but do it now so you can enjoy the fruits.
    Adrianne thanked togetherbydesign
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LOL.. Yeah I would be doing it.. But I painted most of this house and plenty of other houses.. I'm not sure if I want to enjoy it.. I have boys!! and a white banister would probably turn in me into a bigger nag then I already am.
  • lisainevanston
    10 years ago
    I would ask your realtor about colors and if it is even worth it. I would leave the balusters black and, if you paint it the handrail and newel posts to match the woodwork in a gloss enamel, you should be able to wipe it to keep it clean enough while you sell it (the baseboards would be semi gloss)
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    a couple of friends and family just said the handrail matches the floor and the kitchen cabinets.. and they don't think it's a big deal.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Your friends are right --- if it was me, I would just leave well enough alone . The new owners can paint if they want to . This is not going to be a deal breaker or add to the house value . It looks very nice the way it is and a lot of people are very into the wood ,especially the men .
    Adrianne thanked lefty47
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I actually do kitchen design and I have never ever had a man want white.. they always want the wood.. LOL
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- I used to do kitchens also and yes not once did a man ever want white cabinets - including my husband . And for God's sake don't ever paint the wood either ! It will disappear for ever don't you know !!!
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I had a couple and they both were very determined to get what they each wanted.. so they decided the husband picked out the wood the wife would pick out the color... He picked out quarter sawn oak.. she picked out black vinyl.. when it was getting installed he just rolled his eyes and said "it was cheaper then a new wife".. I tend to agree with the husbands
  • PRO
    Staging Designs by Deborah LLC
    10 years ago
    Please paint only the top rail black and rest of the wood white. It will give your house a high end look. Its very on trend. It speaks of luxury. Most people want to live in a home like that.
    Adrianne thanked Staging Designs by Deborah LLC
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    and I like that idea too..
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great Neighborhood Homes · More Info
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I kind of like that.. the hand rail wood.. everything else kitten whisker..
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Guys can decorate - look here and see - there are multiple decor projects so mouseover and look!
  • Adrianne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Men are really good at mentally laying things out, scaling and color.