1rachel

1rachel
I am renovating a loft into a bedroom, and will share a common wall with next door neighbor, nice people who also may see movies or TV. How do I best insure that there will be no noise. At present - there is only a cinderblock wall between us. What do I have to add and how? They would also be willing to add on their side also. thanks
Custom pantry · More Info

InstyleReno
    There is what you call a sound board. it will stop the noise coming in to your side of the apartment completely
    W. David Seidel, AIA - Architect
    Soundboard will not work. It has one use only and that is as flooring underlayment. What you need is a so-called furring wall that is framed in front of the demising wall without attaching to it. Stuff the cavity with fiberglass batt insulation.
  • adelka
    Hi David, I also have such problem. I have brick/cemented wall attached to the same of my neighbours left and right. So the problem walls must be insulated. I will have to cut down part of the walls to make a space for the new insulation addition. So I am looking for something ( preferably) thin but effective material. I hate to cut a lot off my walls, you can imagine the mass. On the other hand, I do not want "just to attach" the insulation, because I can do not want to loose space of my rooms.It is not too large. I would be so grateful if you could advice me on this? Thank you so much for your kind attention to my problem, Denise , Indonesia ( denise9id@gmail.com)
    W. David Seidel, AIA - Architect
    Hi Denise, do not modify a brick wall without having a written opinion from an engineer or architect. You will lose some space by building a furring wall that is unattached. About 11 centimeters at least. Stuff the cavity with fiberglass wool. Good luck with your project. --david
  • adelka
    Hi David, thanks so much for your kind advice. One more thing : what material for the finishing is the best?
    And what is the "RC channel". Is it usable for my case?
    I will try to consult with somebody, but it is not so easy to fine an experienced one . So your info will make me more confident to discuss. With many thanks again..Denise
    W. David Seidel, AIA - Architect
    I would use gypsum drywall for finishing. RC channels only work where there is a min. 9 cm cavity behind it, walls or ceilings. best, --david
  • adelka
    Dear David, thank you very much for your kind reply, with best wishes Denise